Pictures of each Fia hairtype (even 1's)?

Is there an online Fia guide that actually has decent pictures?
Or, alternatively, does anyone know the Fia system well enough to get me good representive pictures of each hair type? Not just 2-4 either! Pictures of 1A, 1B, and 1C too! And not small pictures either, ones big enough to actually see the curl pattern.
There is so many guides to Fia on the internet but I can't find one with pictures, and I'm a very visual person--I need to see it to understand it.
This isn't to find out my own curl pattern (I got a haircut and was told it's Fia 2C) but rather so I can identify the curl patterns of those around me (cuz I'm a nut like that I guess!) and because I haven't found one yet so I'm willing to write one up myself if someone who knows the hair types will just supply me with pictures!
I don't like the system on NC.com because catagorizing 2 hair on texture rather than curl pattern makes no sense to me, seeing as all the others are based on curl type, which is why I'd rather know just Fia.
Okay. Sorry for the question. If no one knows, that's fine. It's just been ITCHING at me to learn, though.

Comments

• CurlyCarrieSCurlyCarrieS Registered Users Posts: 200
    CG since10/26/09
    Co-wash Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom
    Leave-in Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom (Just a little before adding La Bella Max Hold Plus Volume Styling Gel.)
    Just bought Olive Miracle Leave-in Conditioner to try. I used it to scrunch out the crunch and it smells wonderful. (05Jun2012)
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wicked_WavesWicked_Waves Registered Users Posts: 38
    Have you seen this one? It's the original one I learned off of. The pictures for each type are through the links at the top of the page. Click on the individual pics and they get a bit larger.
    2b-3a/F/iii color-treated and diffused, mod CG since February '07
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    I've looked at these pictures and I still get confused as to what my hair is. :confused1:

I never know if I'm a 2b, 2c, or 3a?? :dontknow:
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    I think because those pics are all of very long hair maybe they look less curly than they would be shorter and layered. Because my hair, styled, looks more like the pics on there of 3b but I, um, self-identify as 2c because the description 'strong S waves with the odd spiral' sounds right to me and most people don't roll their eyes when I say my hair is WAVY not really CURLY, so it seems right.

I think, like others, that the amount of curl doesn't have a lot to do with how you care for the hair, so it's less important than texture and porosity.

But I do like the FIA system a lot better than any other, because it gives a good description of how the hair looks.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    The other thing to keep in mind with those pics is that they were taken after just washing hair. No products, no scrunching and just air-dryed!!! I saw that explanation for determining true hair type at longhaircommunity.com

To me, they don't look as curly as I'm used to from here for the hair types but I believe that's because of the lack of products and styling. Whereas the pics we post are after multiple products and styling methods.

If I do my hair the same way as I listed above, my hair is a cross between Meezer and Sally in the 3A category. With products and scrunching, I look more like Kim in MI in the 3B category. (Pics from link in Wicked_Waves post)

Also as previously mentioned, it's a little hard to tell as many of them have very long hair.

I feel the text description is better as no two curlies of the same type look the same anyway.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    The other thing to keep in mind with those pics is that they were taken after just washing hair. No products, no scrunching and just air-dryed!!! I saw that explanation for determining true hair type at longhaircommunity.com

To me, they don't look as curly as I'm used to from here for the hair types but I believe that's because of the lack of products and styling. Whereas the pics we post are after multiple products and styling methods.

If I do my hair the same way as I listed above, my hair is a cross between Meezer and Sally in the 3A category. With products and scrunching, I look more like Kim in MI in the 3B category. (Pics from link in Wicked_Waves post)

Also as previously mentioned, it's a little hard to tell as many of them have very long hair.

I feel the text description is better as no two curlies of the same type look the same anyway.

Good points!

The link from wicked waves is good, but should only be used as a general guideline.

If I were to classify my hair going by the pics in the link, I would be a 3B like Kim in MI. My curls are more defined than hers but it's been a long time since I let my hair dry without any product. I feel more comfortable classifying myself as a 3A but even then, no two 3A's look alike either.

The most important factors in trying to "type" our hair are texture, porosity, and density. You are more able to give your hair what it needs to look its best instead of simply going by the fia system, in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think that site is helpful at all. Got my hair cut yesterday and it dried with no product--and was being combed (to cut) while it dried pulling out some of the curl. I would compare the way it looked yesterday to Mitabird in 3c--my curl started a little farther from the root, then usual, but the curl was not quite as tight as her's is. Much curlier then what they show as a 3b.

On most sites, my hair would be 3a/b. Curl starts right at the root, some of the curls are the size of black board chalk and some are bigger--with chin length and shorter hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    kathymack wrote: »
    I don't think that site is helpful at all. Got my hair cut yesterday and it dried with no product--and was being combed (to cut) while it dried pulling out some of the curl. I would compare the way it looked yesterday to Mitabird in 3c--my curl started a little farther from the root, then usual, but the curl was not quite as tight as her's is. Much curlier then what they show as a 3b.

On most sites, my hair would be 3a/b. Curl starts right at the root, some of the curls are the size of black board chalk and some are bigger--with chin length and shorter hair.

To the bolded, I have to agree. I stumbled onto that site as I was just beginning my curly journey. In many ways, I became more confused than ever as far as trying to figure out where I fit in on the curly spectrum. One would think all those pics would be helpful but it did leave me scratching my head a bit. :scratch:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Registered Users Posts: 2,017 Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »

This is a really good point. If you're not doing any styling/crunching with product, you are probably going to comb -- and combing destroys a good 70% of my curl. The length point is a good one, too. I look a lot wavier when I'm longer, curlier when I'm shorter.

Those who know me know that I, too, am thwarted by the system. For a long time, I just left my own verbal description and didn't put any numbers. But Alex recently inspired me to put 2C/3A back up there, because I think our patterns are somewhat similar. (Though you can't really tell from my avatar photo because it only shows the back). She may be a tad curlier than me. But I definitely have more than just the "occasional" spiral. They're all spirals -- some of them are just really loose.

I've become a believer in not worrying about the numbers. I'll probably be taking down that 2C/3A any day now....

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I like the Fia one because it does address texture, but man, I can never get around the curl pattern thing. How many wavies/curlies run around with no product and air dried all the time anyway. I'd rather type on how I normally wear my hair. I don't see leave-in and gel as cheating. The 3s always looked typed to high to me on a Fia system. Some will wave 20 inches of wave and 2 inches of curl and claim a 3, which doesn't make sense to me.

I just put "curly" in my sig because I pretty much fall into curly as opposed to wavy or super curly or kinky. I'd call it a 3b/a blend if needed although the longer it gets, the more 3a it looks, which, after all, is still typical 3b trait.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice
    According to the description of one, I'm a 2c....another I'm a 3a.....oh well :-?. Since my hair is long (slightly past my waist), sometimes this changes the pattern of my curls...also the products I use....so I guess I'm a 2c/3a M ii. I'm just glad I've found the right products that work for me and that's what matters most.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I like the Fia one because it does address texture, but man, I can never get around the curl pattern thing. How many wavies/curlies run around with no product and air dried all the time anyway. I'd rather type on how I normally wear my hair. I don't see leave-in and gel as cheating. The 3s always looked typed to high to me on a Fia system. Some will wave 20 inches of wave and 2 inches of curl and claim a 3, which doesn't make sense to me.

I just put "curly" in my sig because I pretty much fall into curly as opposed to wavy or super curly or kinky. I'd call it a 3b/a blend if needed although the longer it gets, the more 3a it looks, which, after all, is still typical 3b trait.

Seriously! No condish, no gel - my hair is a big poufy mess shortly after it finishes drying.

I like the idea of just saying curly in a siggie because the curl types are very subjective PLUS they mean little to nothing in the context of hair care - visual representation only.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • NalliaNallia Registered Users Posts: 2,979
    I don't think any of the curl typing systems are helpful. I've tried to figure out mine but I honestly don't see the point anymore since I get a different answer from every curl typing system. My curl pattern has nothing to do with how to care for my hair and have it looking its best so I don't see why it matters.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Nallia wrote: »
    I don't think any of the curl typing systems are helpful. I've tried to figure out mine but I honestly don't see the point anymore since I get a different answer from every curl typing system. My curl pattern has nothing to do with how to care for my hair and have it looking its best so I don't see why it matters.

+1, well said!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capriciouscurlscapriciouscurls Registered Users Posts: 33

Seriously! No condish, no gel - my hair is a big poufy mess shortly after it finishes drying.

I like the idea of just saying curly in a siggie because the curl types are very subjective PLUS they mean little to nothing in the context of hair care - visual representation only.

My hair is the exact same way without product! I have a feeling most curlies have it that way. I'm very new to CG so I'm still trying to figure out what condish\gel will allow me to wear it down but right out of the shower after an air dry I'm a 3c\4b at best. You all give me so much hope ^_^

This is the only time I've ever worn my hair down at school because it's so huge. I'm posting b/c it's not much different after I shower...

9HairTimeline.jpg
    Halloween, I was happy b/c it needed
    to be huge for Scary Spice :dontknow:
    (I have the BAA in case you couldn't figure it out)
    lv
    dark brunette. curlinky. fine. low porosity. very thick. high elasticity.
  • peaches1975peaches1975 Registered Users Posts: 211
    ...I definitely have more than just the "occasional" spiral. They're all spirals -- some of them are just really loose.

+1 My hair is the same way. Really big spirals everywhere.

Mine goes anywhere between heathernm on the 2c to Meezer on 3a, but like RCC mentioned I think they are typed a bit high. The only thing that curl pattern typing does for me if help me to better follow advice given on the forums. If I see someone has a tight curl pattern and is looking for shrinkage, their product advice might be worth investigating if I want more beachy waves but more shine/less frizz/whatever. If someone says they are 2a and found a product for increased shrinkage that holds all day, I look at that product for a curlier look. Otherwise I look for similarities in hair likes such as protein, no mineral oil, oils/butters, etc.
    2aFii, low porosity, :love4: protein!
    Color treated (blonde, but darned grays!)
    COwash: Suave, V05, Salon Care Honey Almond
    CO: GVPCB, LVNPG, GFTN, HSH Pumpkin, Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    DTs: Lustrasilk SM, GVPCB
    PTs: Aphogee 2-step, ION Effective Care inbetween
    LIs/Stylers: Any of my COs, FSG, EcoStyler Krystal, LOOC, shea butter to SOTC

http://public.fotki.com/peaches1975/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file