Trouble Getting Hair Moisturized

So I'm having some difficulty getting my hair properly moisturized...I know that it's never going to feel amazingly soft or anything since it's fairly coarse, but I still think it's quite dry. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] or CJ Curl Rehab on it daily, and leave it in for at least 5 minutes. I went on vacation to a hotter climate and tried TIGI MM there, and found it was amazing for my hair, but now that I'm back home on Vancouver Island where the dews are around 35-45 (90%-100% humidity, temps of 35-45 degrees F or 3-8 degrees C), the TIGI MM isn't working nearly as well for me. I still get good slip but not the same curl formation I was getting and I'm hesitant to use glycerin in the lower dews. Since my hair loved the TIGI MM every day for a week when I was in a hotter climate, though, I do think my hair likes glycerin. But anyways, when I use the CJ or JC conditioners they really don't feel like they're absorbing into my hair. When I run my fingers up my hair shaft, it feels slick and very dense and while there are bumpy parts, they feel the same going up or down the hair shaft so I think it's more because my hair is coarse. So, I'm pretty sure my hair has low porosity. Should I be using some sort of alkaline rinse before doing my rinse out, or maybe just before DTs? Will that negate the benefits of better moisture penetration by drying out my hair further? I find sometimes my hair does better with absorbing the moisture after I shampoo, but after awhile it just gets dried out by the sulfates. Are there some good no-protein low poos I should try? I try to DT with heat but find it hard to do since I have a ton of hair. What methods work best for people? What general advice could people offer me? Please help!
Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC

Comments

• angel29ishangel29ish Registered Users Posts: 800
    Using baking soda mixed with condish for a co wash helps open the hair cuticle to better receive a moisturizing DT. Since you have coarse hair, perhaps trying a no protein DT would be helpful such as Biolage Conditioning Balm (or the ones you already use). Finishing with an ACV rinse will close the cuticle, helping to maintain the moisture.
    I haven't been using shampoo, so I'm not able to comment on that.
    Another suggestion that may be helpful is trying Del2C's Spritz and Condish method. I found this method to really bump up the moisture in my hair. HTH

I just thought of something else. Have you tried sealing with a butter or oil?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    The baking soda mixed with conditioner is an easy way to open up the cuticle a bit to allow some moisture inside. You can also try using Terax Crema:
    Original Crema Ultra Moisturizing Daily Conditioner
    What it is:
    An ultra-moisturizing daily conditioner for all hair types.

What it is formulated to do:
    Crema opens the cuticle to allow moisture to penetrate the hair, leaving it soft and silky. It also restores split ends, breakage, and dryness associated with chemical treatments and environmental damage and combats static electricity and frizziness.

Ingredients:
    Deionized Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Steardimonium Chloride, Triethanolamine, Isopropyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Lauryl Alcohol, Fragrance, Hydrogenated Tallow Glycerides, Ceteareth-3, Myristyl Alcohol.

As with baking soda, it is crucial that you follow-up with an ACV rinse to close the cuticle.

My hair is low porosity as well, so winter and low dews can be a trying time for getting and retaining moisture in the hair shaft. I absolutely must avoid ALL humectants at this time of year. Some curlies don't seem as sensitive. I guess my hair is just oddball! :laughing6:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file