fine haired friends, am I using the right styling product?

Help, I would love some advice on what styling product I should be using, I have fine, highlighted naturally curly hair with a sensitive scalp. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] seems to make my head really itchy, so I have given up on it. I am using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] on it's own and experiencing a bit of frizz, is this okay to use during a Michigan winter? Should I be using a gel instead, or trying out a mousse? Are there any fine haired friends who have any advice? Any conditioner recommendations as well?
I'm ready to put my hair in a bun so I don't have to look at it anymore:crybaby:
Thanks,
Upper Michigan Dews
3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
Detangler: KCKT
Leave-in: CJ Repair me
Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I have fine hair, and have always preferred gel because I like more hold. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] with a dab of BRHG (pencil eraser size). The magnesium sulfate in the Jessicurl products made my hair frizz after about six weeks.

For conditioners, I rotate AOHR, KCKT, and AOGPB. For a leave-in, I use either Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Protein-Boost-p-223.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-protein-boost]Curlisto Protein Boost[/buylink]. Some days I skip the leave-in when my hair doesn't need it.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    It might not be your styling product causing your frizz. You may need a lot more moisture or you may need protein. I have very fine, porous, colored and highlighted hair and need to use a leave-in year round under my styling products and have to do protein treatments and DTs regularly.

What are you using as a rinse out conditioner? Do you ever use a leave-in?
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    OOPS! I didn't realize my signature wasn't showing, sorry about the missing information.
    Upper Michigan Dews

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nallia wrote: »
    It might not be your styling product causing your frizz. You may need a lot more moisture or you may need protein. I have very fine, porous, colored and highlighted hair and need to use a leave-in year round under my styling products and have to do protein treatments and DTs regularly.

+1, with the moisture and protein. I can't use CK or a lot of other products because I'm allergic--it makes my scalp burn.

I'm fine, highlighted and low porosity. My hair likes the more natural products. I wet and style everyday. Use a rinse out, heavier leave in and a jelly type product ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CJ CIAB[/buylink], DOC, DM Curling Gelly or FSG.) My hair is great with minimal frizz, despite yesterday's dewpoint of -4! Most of us have products in our signatures.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    Nallia wrote: »

+1, with the moisture and protein. I can't use CK or a lot of other products because I'm allergic--it makes my scalp burn.

I'm fine, highlighted and low porosity. My hair likes the more natural products. I wet and style everyday. Use a rinse out, heavier leave in and a jelly type product ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CJ CIAB[/buylink], DOC, DM Curling Gelly or FSG.) My hair is great with minimal frizz, despite yesterday's dewpoint of -4! Most of us have products in our signatures.
    Amazingly, since I found what's been working for me lately I not only have no frizz in the crazy low dewpoints, I also don't have limp hair anymore. :)
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

Wow, what an after pic!
    Maybe I need to buy a more gentler no poo like deva or JCCC? My hair gets buildup so quickly, I'm not sure from what I've been using, but I have a very hard time not washing it every other day? :sad3:
    Upper Michigan Dews

I can't use CK or a lot of other products because I'm allergic--it makes my scalp burn.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who's scalp it bothered. So I think I may be over doing the loo poo. I use the GPB as a rinse out and I still get frizz, so I must be lacking moisture. The last DT I did was JCWDT and I didn't notice any difference in the frizz aspect. Hmm.
    Upper Michigan Dews

Thanks! My hair was seriously damaged and dry when I started CG from over-stripping when my hair was highlighted and flat--ironing. I never thought my hair would ever look as good as some of the women's here and still can't believe it's mine sometimes. :)

Some of us need a low poo instead of conditioner washing all of the time. I started out using a low poo every so often in between co-washes and now don't co-wash at all anymore. Most people interchange them.

I like Deva Lo-Poo, but I know a lot of people here find it harsh. It never leaves my hair feeling stripped but I don't know if that's because I use the DevaCare Lo-Poo instead of the DevaCurl Lo-Poo. It's the only low poo I've used so far, so I can't give any opinions on any other. I might switch to a different one when I run out just for a change.

As for conditioners (I saw you ask in your first post and forgot to respond), I use GVP Conditioning Balm. It's seriously moisturizing and gives me good slip for detangling in the shower. AOHR is also very moisturizing and is good for DTs. I do protein treatments every time I get my hair colored. I used to do them more often (started out doing them every week) but now I don't need them but every 4-6 weeks. The protein treatments did more to help my hair look the way it does now than anything else, I think.

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    If you have problems with build-up, you might try an ACV rinse also. That always perks up my hair.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    sheilacurl wrote: »
    I can't use CK or a lot of other products because I'm allergic--it makes my scalp burn.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who's scalp it bothered. So I think I may be over doing the loo poo. I use the GPB as a rinse out and I still get frizz, so I must be lacking moisture. The last DT I did was JCWDT and I didn't notice any difference in the frizz aspect. Hmm.

You may need to increase the protein.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    I can only use CK the day before a washing because of the build-up or itchy gunky feeling probably from all of the propylene glycol in it. I would avoid glycerin (in the CK) with lower dews to prevent frizz. AOMM with a little BHRG on top feels "clean" on my scalp. A little leave-in conditioner may help with frizz too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
    kathymack wrote: »

You may need to increase the protein.

Thanks Kathy,
    I honestly thought that I was getting too much protein using GBP because of the frizz that came with it. This is so hard to figure out what the hair wants and needs. I appreciate all of your help. So I should stick it out with protein? Does frizz come from too much protein or not enough?
    Upper Michigan Dews

Thanks Kathy,
    I honestly thought that I was getting too much protein using GBP because of the frizz that came with it. This is so hard to figure out what the hair wants and needs. I appreciate all of your help. So I should stick it out with protein? Does frizz come from too much protein or not enough?

It's all a delicate balance. Frizz can come from over conditioning or not enough moisture, or some other issue--but not protein sensitivity. Protein sensitivity is hard, straw like hair. While I use the AO GPB--possibly once a week. I do protein treatments and use a lot of other products containing protein.

I rotate products. Seldom use anything more then twice a week--and change things up based on season. You may need to add more products to your arsenal.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FinnickyWavetopFinnickyWavetop Posts: 25Registered Users

I'd lose the GPB as a shampoo. All of Aubrey's shampoos are liquid soap, not shampoo, so you're really doing yourself a disservice there. It will leave behind glycerin and soap buildup in addition to being really high in terms of pH.

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] gives me halo frizz, and the weather in Finland is similar to what you have in Michigan. I usually seal with an oil after showering and stick to glycerin-free creams and butters for styling in winter. Pink Boots might be worth a try if you can get it.
    Porous 2a-c F i PJ glycerin hater in Finland
    CG and I are dating, but we're not exclusive or anything
    I'll add magsulfate to anything!
    Liking: JCHCC, Too Shea, 4R Moisture Mist, Gelebration spray, Wella hold 2 mousse, tucuma butter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file