Squeaky, odd feeling hair.

EuterpeEuterpe Registered Users Posts: 144
I figured i'd post this question in a new thread, instead of clogging up the "what did you do to your hair today" thread like I usually do :D

Apologies for the rambliness, just trying to get all the info I can into this in case it's important in any way... probably not!

I noticed something weird when I was washing my hair yesterday, but passed it off as a random occurence. But then it happened again today, so i'm kinda curious.

It's difficult to explain, but I noticed that when I am putting in my rinse out my fingers really don't glide through my hair easily at all, despite using a LOT of conditioner. It's not tangly, there's just a lot of squeaking, and it sounds and feels pretty much like it would when I was only using sulfate shampoo. Like it's really stripped of all moisture.

The weirder thing is that as i'm doing this, and afterwards my hands feel.. well, i'm not quite sure. They just feel weird, very dry and almost sticky. They stay that way until I wash them.

This didn't happen on Sunday when I used Burt's Bees shampoo, then Triple Nutrition as my rinse out and leave in for the first time (i'd previously been using sleek and shine as my leave in).

But then, as I said, this did happen yesterday when I co-washed with V05 and used TN as my rinse out and leave in again, and today when I just water washed and then used TN as my rinse out and leave in.

So i'm wondering, could this be something to do with my hair? Or maybe someone's had a similar issue using either of those products (I know TN has lots of oils in, but not sure what difference that could make)? Or, is it just completely random and absolutely meaningless? :)
CG since 11/24/09
2-something! F-Mii, Med porosity

Currently trying -
Co-wash : V05 Free Me Freesia
Rinse-out : Garnier Triple Nutrition
LI : Garnier Sleek and Shine
HETT mousse and gel

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I'd recommend not using whatever product is causing the squeeking. Pre CG I was searching for CG products. I had a squeeking reaction to several products. The products later turned my hair to "straw". With some it was instant, some took several uses. I still have absolutely now idea what caused this. My problems were with 2 suave cowashes and 2 white rain cowashes and a garnier (body boost?) rinse out.
    I can now use the white rain conditioner as a cowash once a week with no problem. I have no idea why I can do this either.
    Sorry I can't help. But I have had a similar experience.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • goobernutgoobernut Registered Users Posts: 2,317
    My roots do this! I have no idea what the cause is, but its frustrating. For me, everything causes squeaky hair. Its like no matter what I've used, its like I washed my hair with sulfate shampoo -- but mostly at the roots. There is only one conditioner that I've used lately that eliminates the squeaky roots and that's the Hairveda MCPro. All other condishes rinse out like I didn't put anything in.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • EuterpeEuterpe Registered Users Posts: 144
    I guess i'll have to rethink my products. Though there was no issue with using them the past 2 weeks. Only since I've started using the TN as a LI too.

Maybe tomorrow and the next day i'll try using my Sleek and Shine LI again and see if it changes anything. Though i'm still put off using it until I can find more information about amodimethicone.

And you're right, goober, it is very frustrating! I have been trying the IQ method and I can't even do it properly now. I can't get the squishy feeling, no matter how much TN I pile on my hair. It's ridiculous!
    CG since 11/24/09

Currently trying -
    HETT mousse and gel
  • goobernutgoobernut Registered Users Posts: 2,317
    Exactly! There are very few condishes that I can get the seaweedy feeling with. And even after that seaweedy feeling is rinsed out, its back to being squeaky again.

I went to heavier products and all I'm getting is greasy hair some days... its such a balancing act.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    goobernut wrote: »
    Exactly! There are very few condishes that I can get the seaweedy feeling with. And even after that seaweedy feeling is rinsed out, its back to being squeaky again.

I went to heavier products and all I'm getting is greasy hair some days... its such a balancing act.

Actually, you mentioning rinsing out made me think of something else.

Since starting CG, i've been rinsing out for twice as long as i'd seen suggested, as every time I tried to do it that amount of time, it'd feel like there was way too much conditioner still in there.

I've just realised, the past 2 days when rinsing out for only 2 seconds, it already feels like all the conditioner's gone.

Weird. I really wish I knew more about all this so that I could actually figure a probable cause out from what's happening! Lol.
    CG since 11/24/09

Currently trying -
    HETT mousse and gel
  • twister89twister89 Registered Users Posts: 137
    I'm very new to all of this, but if it helps any, I thought I'd add that the longer I go without using shampoo, the dryer my hair feels while wet. It feels very rough and tangly. Someone on here had suggested that this might actually be my conditioner building up on my hair (even though it's all water-soluble) and coating it, making water unable to penetrate the hair shaft (so my hair can't get any more moisture). I'm not sure if this is actually the case or not, but it IS a thought. My curls also got looser and less defined as well. I haven't shampooed in a week and they're just barely wavy now, but I know once I shampoo they'll bounce back up. Grrr. I want to go CG. T_T Anyway, maybe your hair is low porosity or weighed down easily? :)
    Violagirl23- your hair is really looking nice.

This post on the natural haven says that using regular conditioner as a leave in can make the charge of your hair more positive and can build up.
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/08/should-you-really-leave-conditioner-in.html
    quote from post
    Naturally if you have been applying hair conditioner to your hair on a daily basis, then you will have much more of the positive charge.

I have no idea if this is at all the issue, but I'm throwing it out there.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    The conditioner build up definitely sounds possible, if that can be an outcome.

I did shampoo 3 days ago, so i'm not so sure. Then again, maybe the TN is just far too much for my hair to take as a rinse out AND a leave in and it's caused build up in only a couple of days.

I'm fairly positive my hair is, at the least, medium porosity, though I can't be sure. That strand test just confuses me, lol. I can't trust what I feel as I have nothing to compare it to!

I think i'll have to buy a clarifying shampoo and start over again, and find a new leave in.
    CG since 11/24/09

Currently trying -
    HETT mousse and gel
    That strand test just confuses me, lol. I can't trust what I feel as I have nothing to compare it to!
    IMHO the strand test is not a good test. Again, from the natural haven. And a quote from the post.
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/part-2-of-2-porosity-can-you-fix-it.html
    The cuticle can be raised slightly (it takes very sensitive instruments to detect this – the distance can be as little as one millionth of a meter). Running your fingers down a strand to feel for a raised cuticle is simply not possible unless you have severely damaged hair.
    Ugh, I know, right? Some people on the board said that my hair taking forever to dry means my hair is low porosity, because it's retaining the water it soaked up and not letting it leave the hairshaft.
    But then I got my hair cut a week ago and my hairdresser also remarked that wow, my hair really does take a long time to dry! (it's only shoulder-length and she was diffusing it, but normally I just air-dry) and that maybe that means my hair is of high porosity, because it's soaked up so much water that it takes a long time to dry.
    :shock: Low porosity and high porosity are complete opposites. That would completely affect my hair care regime.
    I wish there was an easy way to figure out porosity!
    Viola-
    I wish there was an easy way to figure out porosity!
    Amen
    But then I got my hair cut a week ago and my hairdresser also remarked that wow, my hair really does take a long time to dry! (it's only shoulder-length and she was diffusing it, but normally I just air-dry) and that maybe that means my hair is of high porosity, because it's soaked up so much water that it takes a long time to dry.
    Hmmm. Thought if it took a long time to dry it was low porosity. The hair stays wet because the water is trapped inside a cuticle that is locked down tight. I could be wrong. Figuring out porosity makes my head hurt.:tongue10:
    Yeah, that's what I'd read too when hunting around for more info. That if you've got high porosity, your hair soaks up moisture/water quickly but also releases it quickly too.

I'm seriously ready to just buy a darn microscope and check it out that way, lol.
    CG since 11/24/09

Currently trying -
    HETT mousse and gel
    If you buy a microscope, I bet you could start a business. Everyone at NC would be sending you hair.;-)
    :lol::lol::lol: I know I would! Wow, that's kind of sad, isn't it? XDDD

Well anyway, my hair feels very built up and weighed down, and it's practically straight. It IS ridiculously soft though. At first I was upset, but then I was like... wait.. my hair's not poofy, it's not frizzy, and it's SOFT. What the heck am I griping about?!?! It's amazing at how caught up we can get about wanting it to be curly and getting upset when our hair doesn't live up to that expectation, even though it can look good straighter too.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    If you buy a microscope, I bet you could start a business. Everyone at NC would be sending you hair.;-)

Lol!

Is over-conditioning the same as conditioner build up, though?

Because, if so, then maybe that isn't it. From what i've read, a symptom of over conditioning would be very soft hair... and my hair right now doesn't feel that way at all. It feels horribly dry and I guess kinda straw like. It feels like, as I said, what i've read protein sensitive hair feels like... except as far as I know, i've cut out all products with protein in. I could be wrong though. I guess i'll have to go back through my products and look at the ingredients.

Really though i'm not bothered about my curl falling out right now, that often happens. It's the way my hair's acting when it's wet that's bothering me. Though obviously the way it's looking dry isn't so good, either!
    CG since 11/24/09

Currently trying -
    HETT mousse and gel
    I don't.. think so. But I don't know... so hopefully someone more experienced can help. I think maybe how much conditioner your hair is soaking up might have to do with it.
    Like... if your hair is actually soaking UP the conditioner and it soaks up too much of it, you could become overconditioned.
    But then maybe instead of soaking it up, if the outside of your hair becomes coated with it and no new moisture can reach your hair, so it starts to become dry (like how oils can help seal moisture in your hair, but if they start to coat the hair they actually have the opposite effect by blocking moisture from entering the hairshaft), that would be conditioner buildup?
    Gah, I don't know. I think I've learned more about hair in the past 2 months than most people will learn in a lifetime, though! :lol:
    I think conditioner build up is too much conditioner stuck to the outside of the hair and over conditioning is too much moisture in the inside (cortex) of the hair.
    Overconditioning can feel strawlike too. See the 4th and 5th page of this article on moisture vs. protein.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
    I truly figured out my porosity when I henna'd. I was pretty sure before that I had porous hair but not 100%.

After the henna I was positive. Previously my hair got wet quick. It dries pretty quickly BUT it is also very thin so no matter what I do it will dry quicker than someone with thick hair. Also my hair, for the amount, texture, and thickness of it could absorb a lot of product. More than you would expect. Although straight oils make it look oily products with oil in them didn't. I could use pretty much anything.

Then came the henna. Literally things did NOT soak into my hair. It took about 1 minute to get it wet in the shower (previously my hair *instantly* soaked the minute I got in the shower) and no matter what I used it seemed to "sit" on the top of myhair..even in minute amounts! Nothing was working.

While in humidity previously my hair instantly soaks it up, expands, and gets more curly. Like walk outside from A/C instantly it starts curling. After the henna it didn't but when it did start getting into my strand it seemed to get more frizzy--not the nice expansion and curl I got previously.

My daughter is low porosity. She can be under the shower for minutes and can walk out and her hair is still dry. It takes a good 4-5 minutes to soak her hair. We use about 1/3 c. of low poo to do her hair since its so thick its hard to reach the scalp fully. For her conditioner we can't just "put it on" we have to literally squeeze it into her hair. Or it won't go in and she'll just have white hair from the condish.

I do the same with leave in--I have to squeeze it into her hair lightly or it will just sit on her head for hours all white and gloppy. Her hair, if in a braid, will take 1-3 days to dry (latter is more common). If we leave it out we would be lucky to have it dry in 8 hours. Its like once her hair gets something in it there is no releasing it. This is why we've used low poo's--some ingredients her hair just holds and we need to poo to get them out. Conditioner washing just caused buildup no matter what condish we used.

Her hair, opposite of mine, immediately frizzes up in humid weather. I don't know why the distinction. Even normally without humectants her hair tends to frizz in any weather. We use a lot of leave in to counter it.

E--did you try an ACV rinse? You can do a baking soda wash and ACV rinse and that, for me, worked way better than a clarifying shampoo. Just mix some b.s. in with your conditioner and then cowash...after that condish and then use the ACV rinse. See if that helps.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
    Also the TN has a lot of oils. They may be weighing down your hair.

You could see if you can find a lighter leave in--I'm not sure what that would be (CJ Curl Assurance for me is a lighter leave in but everyone is different!)
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
    I had previously thought that my hair was low porosity, as the strand test was throwing me off. But after seeing how it gets wet and dries, I don't think so anymore. I have APL hair when pulled straight, medium texture, on the higher end of medium density, and it takes about 5-10 seconds to get completely soaked in the shower, and 2-3 hours to air dry completely. Oddly enough though, i'm positive it used to take a LOT longer to get wet in the shower before I went CG.
    Alexjoujou wrote: »
    E--did you try an ACV rinse? You can do a baking soda wash and ACV rinse and that, for me, worked way better than a clarifying shampoo. Just mix some b.s. in with your conditioner and then cowash...after that condish and then use the ACV rinse. See if that helps.

This is actually what I was planning on doing today after doing a lot of searching and reading last night. Happy to hear someone else suggest it, too :) Thanks for the information on how to do it. I'll have to see if I have any baking soda. As it is I don't have ACV, only malt, haha. But i've searched around and it seems any vinegar will do, just depends on what smell you want to work with.

I'm British, so malt vinegar is like a drug to me... my husband will probably avoid me until the smell's gone, though! Haha.

I'm going to try the Sleek and Shine again today instead of TN. I think from reading that the amodimethicone isn't as bad as dimethicone, and I really don't think I was getting any build up from it, so it'll do for now, until I figure something else out.
    CG since 11/24/09

Currently trying -
    HETT mousse and gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file