no bake cookies.

duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
I randomly felt like sharing this recipe, hoping someone tries them and likes them. I know there are about a thousand different recipes, but this is my favorite--it was my great grandmother's, it came out of my big Trudell family cookbook, spanning 4 generations of Midwest Lutheran cooks, and it's easy. So, here goes:

First, read through and measure everything out (oats and peanut butter especially) and lay out some wax paper for the finished cookies.
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa (sift, if you can)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk

Bring to boil--but don't let boil for long. A minute, tops. Remove from heat, add:
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter
3-3 1/2 cups oats (depends on the kind of oats you have, some are more absorbent than others)

spoon (about 1-inch balls) onto wax paper, sprinkle with powder sugar, let cool till hard, and eat! Takes about a half hour tops, and if you don't eat much batter, you can make about 60-70. When you are mixing in the oats, don't pour them all in at once, but pour a little and mix it in, and a little more and mix it in--much easier that way.

enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Sugar Plum FairySugar Plum Fairy Posts: 178Registered Users
    That is so weird- I have just been google-ing for a recipe like this. I couldn't find one anywhere. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Also edited to add: what kind of consistency do these cookies have once their "done"? TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Sugar Plum Fairy ]
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Mmmmm. I make those kind of cookies sometimes. But I never thought of putting powdered sugar on them. Where I'm from, we called them TV cookies. I guess cause you could whip up some while you were watching tv, or something. They are delicious and you're right, it makes a BUNCH!

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
    they are little balls--in whatever shape you left them in. They don't get "hard" like some gingersnaps do... I don't really know how to describe it. They'll crumble if you put them in a box and shake them, but they shouldn't fall apart all on their own.

sheesh, I know that's vague, but I really don't know how to describe them... they are not like other cookies, but more like... chocolate-peanut butter oatmeal balls. icon_biggrin.gif
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ducky:
    they are little balls--in whatever shape you left them in. They don't get "hard" like some gingersnaps do... I don't really know how to describe it. They'll crumble if you put them in a box and shake them, but they shouldn't fall apart all on their own.

sheesh, I know that's vague, but I really don't know how to describe them... they are not like other cookies, but more like... chocolate-peanut butter oatmeal balls. icon_biggrin.gif
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me, they're kind of like a soft fudgey-type cookie.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • ZippyElfZippyElf Posts: 10Registered Users
    If you want good recipes, go to allrecipes.com, they hasve some awesome no-bake recipes for cookies and cheesecake. ((cheesecake *drools*))
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
  • Sugar Plum FairySugar Plum Fairy Posts: 178Registered Users
    Thanks Ducky et al! icon_biggrin.gif
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ducky:
    I randomly felt like sharing this recipe, hoping someone tries them and likes them. I know there are about a thousand different recipes, but this is my favorite--it was my great grandmother's, it came out of my big Trudell family cookbook, spanning 4 generations of Midwest Lutheran cooks, and it's easy. So, here goes:

First, read through and measure everything out (oats and peanut butter especially) and lay out some wax paper for the finished cookies.
    2 cups white sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa (sift, if you can)
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup milk

Bring to boil--but don't let boil for long. A minute, tops. Remove from heat, add:
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    3-3 1/2 cups oats (depends on the kind of oats you have, some are more absorbent than others)

spoon (about 1-inch balls) onto wax paper, sprinkle with powder sugar, let cool till hard, and eat! Takes about a half hour tops, and if you don't eat much batter, you can make about 60-70. When you are mixing in the oats, don't pour them all in at once, but pour a little and mix it in, and a little more and mix it in--much easier that way.

enjoy! icon_smile.gif
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the treat of choice that feeds and satisfies my PMS monster... icon_wink.gif

I LOVE these cookies. Sometimes I'll make 'em up and I eat 'em right out of the pot I cooked 'em in. How bad is that? icon_biggrin.gif
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    when I was feeling especially pms-y, I would make a half batch and literally eat them all. Now that I am at college and away from a kitchen, I miss them! *sob* so I asked my parents to send me some. Yay! icon_cool.gif
    so has anyone made these yet? How did they turn out?
  • LoisyBugLoisyBug Posts: 17Registered Users
    Bless you ducky!
    I am a Yankee from PA and nobody down here knows a thing about no-bakes! I also absolutely love biscotti (Italian cookies-made with ricotta cheese inside) and anyone who knows what I'm talking about and has a recipe, I would be much obliged!!
    3B, boticelli & corkscrew mix

Humectress, Gen. Silk Therapy, Biolage Gelee', Gen. Potion 9, Zero Frizz cream, Poo every 3 days, Plopping, Diffusing

<><

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file