Preventing the Poof

sobecurlsobecurl Registered Users Posts: 313
OK Ladies, I usually have no problem with my hair expanding to great lenghts, but I have been experimenting with different hairstyles since I am doing my own hair for my wedding next year. Whenever I try to do braid outs or twist outs, by the end of the day I am left with a chucky fro. The reason: my hair + Miami humidity =POOF :afro:

Again, on a normal day I dont mind, but I wanted to do a twist and curl or braid and curl out for my wedding which will be partly outdoors, in Miami, in December. For those of you who dont live down here, we STILL have high humidity in the winter months, though not as bad as during the summer.

Are there any product combinations that may prevent the Poof? Do I need to use a gel (like ecostyler) with my moisturizers for more hold? I know to avoid glycerin but that hasnt seemed to help. Maybe if I avoid products like QB and DB which have glycerin and use just shea butter? Please help.

I'm at a loss, but I dont want to take wedding pictures at the beginning and end of the night with my hair expanding exponentially in size between pictures.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Over 10 years natural and still growing...

Comments

• magicariamagicaria Registered Users Posts: 6
    Well eco styler would be the best bet, and Tresseme has and anti-sponge creme made with aloe. I have 4 a/b hair and I just started using the tresseme Anti Sponge Conditioner/and creme with my new fav Herbal Essenses (Totally Twist)Conditoner. It works wonders. (I live in Fl too.)
  • april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Registered Users Posts: 345 Curl Neophyte
    argan oil, you can get it at sally's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    Are you considering any other styles? Maybe you could do one of those twist/bun styles.. that also is pretty and elegant.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I know to avoid glycerin but that hasnt seemed to help. Maybe if I avoid products like QB and DB which have glycerin and use just shea butter? Please help.

I question whether it's necessary to avoid these products in a high dewpoint climate. If your hair is poufing, begin to condition it more. You're not using any products with cones, are you? What's in this? DC weekly with Elasta QP DPR-11

If it has cones/mineral oil, switch to a DC that doesn't and stop shampooing so often. Cowashing IMO is hands down the best way to hydrate your hair. Follow up with your favorite AOHSR or other conditioner. Leave conditioner in before you layer in the Qhemet. Castor oil is also a nice alternative to layer over the leave in conditioner.

Regarding glycerine, in the humid summer I used Qhemet Honeybush Tea Soft hair gel and my hair loved it. You can layer a harder gel over it.

Another thing to consider is an updo.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ajnaajna Registered Users Posts: 494
    Congrats how exciting!!:hello1:

The only product I have heard that works well in humidity is the Ouidad curl line. I have never tried it but I plan to while I am in Mexico this summer.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • sobecurlsobecurl Registered Users Posts: 313
    I know to avoid glycerin but that hasnt seemed to help. Maybe if I avoid products like QB and DB which have glycerin and use just shea butter? Please help.

I question whether it's necessary to avoid these products in a high dewpoint climate. If your hair is poufing, begin to condition it more. You're not using any products with cones, are you? What's in this? DC weekly with Elasta QP DPR-11

If it has cones/mineral oil, switch to a DC that doesn't and stop shampooing so often. Cowashing IMO is hands down the best way to hydrate your hair. Follow up with your favorite AOHSR or other conditioner. Leave conditioner in before you layer in the Qhemet. Castor oil is also a nice alternative to layer over the leave in conditioner.

Regarding glycerine, in the humid summer I used Qhemet Honeybush Tea Soft hair gel and my hair loved it. You can layer a harder gel over it.

Another thing to consider is an updo.

The Elasta QP DPR does have dimethicone in it but it is near the end of ingredients so I didn't think this would be too problematic. I was planning on switching my DT since I now mainly use amla or rhassoul as my DT. I thought about going CG but the few times I tried the cowash only method I couldnt remove the buildup on my scalp and had to deal with a coated itchy scalp. I guess I could try it again. I do leave in my AOHSR under my stylers. And the reason I thought I should avoid glycerin is because it is pulling moisture from the environment to my hair and making it swell. Maybe my thinking was wrong. I also thought that maybe I have a porosity issue but I have no clue how to remedy that if it should be the case.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file