4a/4b dry stylers needed~

dezdamonadezdamona Registered Users Posts: 37
Did a search for drystyling and got nada. So what is your drystyling technique/method after you've DT? Do you do a blow-out then braid? Need methods cuz these wng's are leaving me with a tangled mess.
TIA

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    Well I dry style 90% of the time, I either put in big braids after my wash routine to dry for the night. In the morning I take down and wear a puff for the day. Then when I get home I style. I do this to stretch the hair as much as possible.

I usually apply a cream based product as my leave-in ( apply in sections )and then seal and twist with an oil based product. Sometimes I use a water based product as my leave-in and twist with an cream based product. It depends on whats closest to me. I wear twist outs and flattwistouts for the majority of time.

Afroveda Pur Whipped Jelly followed by Darcys Botanicals Coconut and raspberry pomade to twist.

Afrovedas Pur Whipped Jelly followed by a tad bit of Qhemets Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm to twist,

MyhoneyChilds Type 3 cream followed by Oyins [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Burnt-Sugar-Pomade-p-755.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-burnt-sugar-pomade]Burnt Sugar pomade[/buylink] to twist,

Karens body beautiful Hair Milk followed by Qhemets Amla Pomade to twist,

SheaMoisture Leave in followed by Jamaican Black Castor oil , or Jamaican Black Castor oil pomade to twist

Karens Body Beautiful Hair milk ,nectar or super silky followed by HairVedas Cocasta oil to twist

Afroveda Pur Whipped Jelly followed by Afrovedas Hemp Seed Lock butter to twist

The list could go on and on lol. I just find with using a creamy leave in and an oil product to twist or a water based leave in with a creamy or oil based product. It seals in the moisture and defines my hair well for a twist out the next day.
  • dezdamonadezdamona Registered Users Posts: 37
    Shawney,
    thanks so much for this. It was very helpful!
    Well I dry style 90% of the time, I either put in big braids after my wash routine to dry for the night. In the morning I take down and wear a puff for the day. Then when I get home I style. I do this to stretch the hair as much as possible.

I usually apply a cream based product as my leave-in ( apply in sections )and then seal and twist with an oil based product. Sometimes I use a water based product as my leave-in and twist with an cream based product. It depends on whats closest to me. I wear twist outs and flattwistouts for the majority of time.

Afroveda Pur Whipped Jelly followed by Darcys Botanicals Coconut and raspberry pomade to twist.

Afrovedas Pur Whipped Jelly followed by a tad bit of Qhemets Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm to twist,

MyhoneyChilds Type 3 cream followed by Oyins [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Burnt-Sugar-Pomade-p-755.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-burnt-sugar-pomade]Burnt Sugar pomade[/buylink] to twist,

Karens body beautiful Hair Milk followed by Qhemets Amla Pomade to twist,

SheaMoisture Leave in followed by Jamaican Black Castor oil , or Jamaican Black Castor oil pomade to twist

Karens Body Beautiful Hair milk ,nectar or super silky followed by HairVedas Cocasta oil to twist

Afroveda Pur Whipped Jelly followed by Afrovedas Hemp Seed Lock butter to twist

The list could go on and on lol. I just find with using a creamy leave in and an oil product to twist or a water based leave in with a creamy or oil based product. It seals in the moisture and defines my hair well for a twist out the next day.

This was sooo informative. I have ideas for both cream based and oil based products. What's waterbased? Sprays of some sort? Can u give examples of some?
    Anything that has water as the first ingredient or the second.

Karens hair milks I consider water based. I also consider Qhemets Burdock Root butter Cream more of a water/cream base because its lighter than the Qhemets Amla and Heavy Cream due to Castor oil being high on the list of ingredients.

Any type of Hair Milk or Hair Cream where water is in the top,

If a hair milk or hair product has a high dose of glycerin I seal with an oil type product to seal/twist with.
    Ok, I was thinking u used water-based sprays like Juices n Berries etc....
    I only use Juices n Berries as a spritz for protective styles in the summer , or when im in kinky twists. Its too light to do anything other than that for me.

Taliah Waajids Protective Bodifier is a nice spritz as well.

You can use spritzs if you choose to , like I said I use anything water based , so spritzs could count as well
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    I dry style ALL THE TIME because of tangles and shrinkage. I can never do a wng. What I do is, I deep condition (after wash) in braids (six sections) rinse, apply leave in to each section and braid it back up. Air dry. When my hair is completely dry, I apply a moisturizer (or more leave in) and use a butter to twist my hair (or put bantu knots for a knot out the next day). If I'm not wearing my hair out, I just leave it in twists. If I wear my hair out, in the evening I just reapply my leave in, butter and bantu knot again (or just go to bed and refresh the next day with some leavein--I get at least 2 day hair with darcys botanicals leave in).

Dry styling keeps my hair stretched so I don't get tangles. Helps retain length too. To refresh my twists, I spray diluted taliah waajid's protective mist bodifier with a little jbco

my combo
    darcys botanicals leave in + njoi creations coconut cream hairdressing

HTH
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    Thanks Coilynap,
    I must get some of that mist bodifier. I've also heard gr8 things about their twist and loc gel and its reasonably priced.
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    coilynapp wrote: »
    I dry style ALL THE TIME because of tangles and shrinkage. I can never do a wng. What I do is, I deep condition (after wash) in braids (six sections) rinse, apply leave in to each section and braid it back up. Air dry. When my hair is completely dry, I apply a moisturizer (or more leave in) and use a butter to twist my hair (or put bantu knots for a knot out the next day). If I'm not wearing my hair out, I just leave it in twists. If I wear my hair out, in the evening I just reapply my leave in, butter and bantu knot again (or just go to bed and refresh the next day with some leavein--I get at least 2 day hair with darcys botanicals leave in).

Dry styling keeps my hair stretched so I don't get tangles. Helps retain length too. To refresh my twists, I spray diluted taliah waajid's protective mist bodifier with a little jbco

my combo
    darcys botanicals leave in + njoi creations coconut cream hairdressing

HTH

I do this too. The only difference is that after the DC I take down the braid and apply a heavy cream moisturizer and castor oil. I don't usually add anything else when I'm actually ready to style it.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file