does baking soda+condish = damage?

CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Registered Users Posts: 734
i used baking soda for my scalp and i have been adding it to my cowash. is this ok? i just added baking soda to a bunch of conditioner and then read about damage. *sigh*
head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
"Make your choice adventurous stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger.
Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen

Comments

• penance441penance441 Registered Users Posts: 5
    On youtube sultry1231 talks about the proper way to do a baking soda cleanse and she said it should always be followed by an ACV rinse to close back the hair shaft or something.
  • Solace2801Solace2801 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I agree with what penance says. According to Sultry1231, most people only do an acv rinse or a baking soda and conditioner rinse when they should actually be done together. The baking soda's alkalinity opens the hair shaft leaving it vulnerable to breakage easier. The acv rinse's acidity counteracts this and closes the hair shaft as well as sealing in the moisture.

I actually did this for the first time last sunday and it made all the difference - before I only used the acv rinse.
    Good luck!
  • kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    Solace2801 wrote: »
    I agree with what penance says. According to Sultry1231, most people only do an acv rinse or a baking soda and conditioner rinse when they should actually be done together. The baking soda's alkalinity opens the hair shaft leaving it vulnerable to breakage easier. The acv rinse's acidity counteracts this and closes the hair shaft as well as sealing in the moisture.

I actually did this for the first time last sunday and it made all the difference - before I only used the acv rinse.
    Good luck!

Well this is news to me. I've only been doing ACV rinses off and on for the past 6 mths. I guess I'll give the Baking Soda/Conditioner a go & see how it works with the ACV.

Thanks for the info!
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Registered Users Posts: 734
    okay well i did it today. i don't know if i did the acv rinse right but...

i keep my hair in twists the entire time btw.

i actually didnt use the baking soda with conditioner all over my hair this time, i just used a baking soda/water paste and scrubbed my scalp/roots with a tooth brush. i just used conditioner by itself throughout my hair.

then i rinsed it all out and filled a tall glass about 2/3 way with water or what i thought might be 2 cups worth. then i poured in what was probably 2-3tbl. or maybe 1/4 cup. lol i dunno i didnt measure just poured. to give you an idea the liquid looked like apple juice. i poured it into a spray bottle and sprayed my head with the rinse. i didnt use the whole thing, i used about half the bottle. then i rinsed with warm water.

does using warm water open the cuticle up again? i tried using very cold water but this time i wouldnt stand it. :\

i cant say my hair was horrible or fantastic. not very tangly afterward but i did detangle before twisting. good enough that i might continue to do this after my baking soda cowash from now on. plus i love the scent of vinegar :]

i need to go rinse out my deep conditioner (combo of honeysuckle rose, white camellia, and coconut oil) which has been in for like 3 hours. (lazy)

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen
  • MslizziaMslizzia Registered Users Posts: 600

i actually didnt use the baking soda with conditioner all over my hair this time, i just used a baking soda/water paste and scrubbed my scalp/roots with a tooth brush. i just used conditioner by itself throughout my hair.

then i rinsed it all out and filled a tall glass about 2/3 way with water or what i thought might be 2 cups worth. then i poured in what was probably 2-3tbl. or maybe 1/4 cup. lol i dunno i didnt measure just poured. to give you an idea the liquid looked like apple juice. i poured it into a spray bottle and sprayed my head with the rinse. i didnt use the whole thing, i used about half the bottle. then i rinsed with warm water.

does using warm water open the cuticle up again? i tried using very cold water but this time i wouldnt stand it. :\

i cant say my hair was horrible or fantastic. not very tangly afterward but i did detangle before twisting. good enough that i might continue to do this after my baking soda cowash from now on. plus i love the scent of vinegar :]

i need to go rinse out my deep conditioner (combo of honeysuckle rose, white camellia, and coconut oil) which has been in for like 3 hours. (lazy)
    U love the scent of vinegar??
    Mslizzia wrote: »

U love the scent of vinegar??

lol i know its weird.

• SpainNYSpainNY Registered Users Posts: 2
    Wait, What did you read about baking soda and where? I am transitioning - i think i'm 4b - and I added a little less than a teaspoon to my suave naturals coconut conditioner of baking soda and i think i had increased shedding. Normally when i cowash (or do anything for that matter) my transitioning hair i barely have any roots on the hair that comes out (all transition breakage... sigh), but today i barely had breakage but a lot of shedding. I don't know if it is because i had just washed a 3 day old bantu knot out (normal shedding) or because of the baking soda... Where did you read about the damage?
  • mouseymousey Registered Users Posts: 120
    i thought you were only supposed to baking soda/acv once a month because it basically clarifying your hair and scalp.....i only do it once a month
    i cannot live without my aviators, my boston terrier, biology and black tights.:love7:
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Make sure you follow the directions carefully. I sure didn't! And my hair felt like it was on FIYAH for like 2 days. I'll never do it again.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

SpainNY wrote: »
    Wait, What did you read about baking soda and where? I am transitioning - i think i'm 4b - and I added a little less than a teaspoon to my suave naturals coconut conditioner of baking soda and i think i had increased shedding. Normally when i cowash (or do anything for that matter) my transitioning hair i barely have any roots on the hair that comes out (all transition breakage... sigh), but today i barely had breakage but a lot of shedding. I don't know if it is because i had just washed a 3 day old bantu knot out (normal shedding) or because of the baking soda... Where did you read about the damage?
    it was on a thread here. just do a search in the 4a forums.

i just read that using acv after bs cowash balances out the ph out. im pretty sure a little less than a teaspoon wouldnt affect your hair much. the bs treatment i see most ppl posting uses more than that. i wouldnt worry too much.

mousey wrote: »
    i thought you were only supposed to baking soda/acv once a month because it basically clarifying your hair and scalp.....i only do it once a month

yeah my scalp gets too oily for me to just clean it once a month. i tried that before and my scalp needs it more than once a month. i usually dont use bs on my hair but sometimes i do. i dont like product build up on my hair. everyones hair is different though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file