Mineral liquid or cream/gel eye liner

MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
Alright curlies, I'm currently in fast forwad mode to transition the rest of my make up to the natural side. The eye liner is a real issue. I currently use Almay liquid eye liner...been using it since junior high and it never steered me wrong. But it has terrible ingredients. I always thought it would be the last thing I'd change over but lately I've wanted to wear eye liner more often so I really wanna get a good one asap.

I just tried a liquid by Erzulie Cosmetics on Etsy. It was terrible. It wouldn't stay put. It was all over my eye lid. I didn't love the brush (actually the only liquid eye liner brush I've ever liked was Almay's, but I digress lol) but I would be able to live with it if the eye liner worked. I tried to head that off with powder on my eye lids, crease etc. But it still migrated. Can anyone recommed a (mineral) liquid or cream/gel black eye liner for the top lid? I know its a tall order but I thought if anyone would know, it would be one of you NC members!!!

Also, I currently use Mac's Carbon eye shadow to line the bottom lid. If anyone can recommend a mineral shadow or liner that stays put on the bottom lid (less tall order lol) that would be great too! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the process of testing several mineral brands of lipsticks, blushes, eye shadows etc so I'll post my results when all this is done! Thanks curlies :)
comic-p.jpg

Comments

• MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    *Bump* Can't believe this had no responses!!!
    comic-p.jpg
  • kamagukamagu Registered Users Posts: 165
    I haven't tried this yet, and am wondering how well it works:

http://www.100percentpure.com/fruitpigments_geleyeliner.html

If it would stay in place and not smudge, smear, or run, it could be a winner!
    Wavy/Curly Hair (2b, 2c & 3a)
    Hair Texture: Fine
    Hair Porosity: Low to Normal
    Hair Density: Medium
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    Wow, I LOVE the ingredients in that one! Its out of stock but I'll keep an eye on it. I found one I liked actually...I tried it at whole foods. Its the liquid eyeliner by Zuzu Luxe. I'd heard of it but never knew I could get it on the ground. I tried the brown one on my hand and it stayed put for hrs! I washed my hands (of course lol) but didn't scrub at it and it stayed there for several hrs. The only problem is that I've been to 2 WFs and they don't have it in black :(

Zuzu has good ingredients but I'm learning about iron oxides now and wondering how safe they are. I know I can't actually get away from them in general, but I'm very interested to see you found an eyeliner that doesn't seem to have any. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere...thanks for the heads up!
    comic-p.jpg
  • dreamingmusedreamingmuse Registered Users Posts: 28
    I love Bare Escentuals Liner Shadows. I apply them wet using a Mineral Eyeshadow/Liner Sealant from Mad Minerals. The sealant has parabens though, if you're trying to avoid that. BE also makes a primer to prevent creasing, but it's definitely not all natural. I used this combo today and I'm going on 14 hours and everything is still perfect. :)
    MUCC - Glad you thought the ingredients in the 100% Pure liner were good...am thinking of getting it in another color and testing it out, since the black is sold out. Wish there was a WF around my area, I'd definitely check out the Zuzu Luxe.

DM - Have you ever tried using the BE eyeliner with just water? Wondering how it held up...
    The BE liners used with just water work really well. They apply like a dream and then it dries like an eyeshadow but looks like liquid liner. I just use the sealant because I have oily, hooded lids.

For a little extra staying power than water you can just make a mixture of 1 part vegetable glycerin to 3 parts water. But this mixture will go bad in a week or two, so you should only make a little bit at a time.

Here is a pic of the BE liner (all BE products here!):

january82010_eye1.jpg
  • heart-of-dixieheart-of-dixie Registered Users Posts: 392
    The BE liners used with just water work really well. They apply like a dream and then it dries like an eyeshadow but looks like liquid liner. I just use the sealant because I have oily, hooded lids.

For a little extra staying power than water you can just make a mixture of 1 part vegetable glycerin to 3 parts water. But this mixture will go bad in a week or two, so you should only make a little bit at a time.

Here is a pic of the BE liner (all BE products here!):

january82010_eye1.jpg

Your eye is beautiful. Can you give the link for
    the eye liner and the shadows?
    My eyes are the color of yours and I also have a little
    freckle on my eye!!!
    Your eye is beautiful. Can you give the link for
    the eye liner and the shadows?
    My eyes are the color of yours and I also have a little
    freckle on my eye!!!

Thank you!!! I used the Face Fashion: Natural Muse kit where you can get all of the shadows and liner I used, plus a blush and lipgloss. The kit is here.

The sealant I use is here.
    Thanks for the info, will have to get some veggie glycerin!
  • masa_innmasa_inn Registered Users Posts: 306
    Brunette, almost BSL length, growing out.
    CG since Feb 2008, modified CG since September 2008.

I now know my texture/porosity!! (TY, Tiffany!) Medium texture; ends on a porous side; new growth - normal porosity.

Wash: Suave; EO Sweet Orange shampoo

Conditioner: GVP Balm, Mango Lustrasilk

Styling: KCCC, BRHG and LA Looks

Want to try: CJ
    @DreamingMuse: thanks for the head's up! The BE looks great on your eye, but I'm used to a more foiled look. Was that pic with just water or water and glycerin? I tried using glycerin with my black mineral shadow...but umm I forgot the water...lets just say it didn't work lol.

I think I checked the BE liner/shadow and it had some ingredients I was opposed to, but I'll check again. And no worries on the sealer, I know of a couple of Etsy sellers who make one with great ingredients! Thanks for posting the pic and giving your review! I also tend to have oily lids and maybe they're hooded too? Anyway, I gotcha!

@ Kamagu: I saw a great review of their liner/shadow as well. I may order it for use on the bottom lid. Also, you can buy Zuzu online here: http://miciomambo.com/zuzuluxeliquideyeliner.aspx

@Masa-inn: I try to avoid Ferric Ferrocyanide b/c its been linked to Cancer. But thanks for the head's up!
    comic-p.jpg
    Thanks for the Zuzu link...do you have one for the Etsy sellers with the sealers you like? They may be a good option in case I can't find the v. glycerin here in the little town I live in.
    I actually haven't bought any sealers yet since I'm trying to make it work with glycerin/water on my own lol. But I'm eyeing this one: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=37606777

I know of another one but she won't disclose the ingredients. She let me know there was a bunch of silicone in it and it was aloe vera based. I'm not sure I wanna use all that silicone but I figured I'd try it if the first sealer doesn't work. I will keep updating this thread as I try things though. And I'll let you know if I find any other ones. The one I linked you to has basic ingredients and the price is more than fair so I'll probably start with that one!
    comic-p.jpg
    @DreamingMuse: thanks for the head's up! The BE looks great on your eye, but I'm used to a more foiled look. Was that pic with just water or water and glycerin? I tried using glycerin with my black mineral shadow...but umm I forgot the water...lets just say it didn't work lol.

I think I checked the BE liner/shadow and it had some ingredients I was opposed to, but I'll check again. And no worries on the sealer, I know of a couple of Etsy sellers who make one with great ingredients! Thanks for posting the pic and giving your review! I also tend to have oily lids and maybe they're hooded too? Anyway, I gotcha!

I used the sealant from Mad Minerals for this look. You can get a foiled look with the BE liners, if you happen to choose a shimmery one. Mine was one of their matte ones. Really any well pigmented mineral eyeshadow would work as a liner when used wet. :)

The glycerin/water mixture won't make it water and smudge resistant like a sealant but it will definitely help it stick better.
    Oh ok I gotcha. Thank you! I think I used foiled incorrectly though. What I meant was...more shiny...like more of a "wet" look. Does that make sense? You know how some commercial liquid eyeliners look more matte? I prefer the more shiny look.
    comic-p.jpg
    Ah okay, I get what you mean now! I will keep an eye out for you on stuff that gives that look. I am a huge makeup junkie! :lol:
    I actually haven't bought any sealers yet since I'm trying to make it work with glycerin/water on my own lol. But I'm eyeing this one: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=37606777

I know of another one but she won't disclose the ingredients. She let me know there was a bunch of silicone in it and it was aloe vera based. I'm not sure I wanna use all that silicone but I figured I'd try it if the first sealer doesn't work. I will keep updating this thread as I try things though. And I'll let you know if I find any other ones. The one I linked you to has basic ingredients and the price is more than fair so I'll probably start with that one!

Thanks again for the link...have you tried any of the other items she has, such as the eyeliner or mascara? Am also on a quest for a natural mascara that won't make my eyelashes fall out. No eyelashes is not a good look.
    The glycerin/water mixture won't make it water and smudge resistant like a sealant but it will definitely help it stick better.

Good to know...thanks for the info!
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    kamagu wrote: »

Thanks again for the link...have you tried any of the other items she has, such as the eyeliner or mascara? Am also on a quest for a natural mascara that won't make my eyelashes fall out. No eyelashes is not a good look.

I've been eyeing this one recently - can't decide if it's worth ordering! http://www.elegantminerals.com/elegant_minerals_natural_mineral_mascara.html
    What do you think?
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    Hmmm, looks nice! May be worth a shot...
    kamagu wrote: »

lol, no its not. I actually wear fake eyelashes so when I (rarely) wear mascara, it goes right onto the lashes. The only thing that touches my eyelid is the glue. Now if only I could find a natural eye lash adhesive...that would be fabulousssssssss!
    comic-p.jpg
    Ok I did notice some mascara reviews from one Etsy seller. Of course I've never tried it but it might be something to look into. This one had 2 great reviews (maybe more but I haven't perused enough of her feedback to know)

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_2&listing_id=38362632&ga_search_query=mascara&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_6292094

one person even compared it to commercial lines.

and this one didn't have a bad review but one buyer said it was natural looking and she had hoped it would be more dramatic

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_2&listing_id=38362632&ga_search_query=mascara&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_6292094

When I first started with Etsy I did see a review for one that sounded interesting (every now and then I think about trading in my lashes for my god given ones lol)... but I don't remember who it was...I'll see if I can hunt that one down!
    comic-p.jpg
    May have to try one of those out! Thanks for the links. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file