A little hair frustration

lovelycurly23lovelycurly23 Registered Users Posts: 43
I adore my hair, but lately as in the past few months its been really frustrating me. Its long enough for me to put the back into a pony tail but the front wont fit because it isnt long enough yet. But i've been having major breakage and single strand knots everywhere. I'm getting really upset and sometimes I just want to give in. I have tried all kinds of things. I used some aubrey organics condish the gpb one. Its moist while on my hair and then I seal with olive oil but once my hair has fully dried it gets very dry once more. I have tried twists but my hair doesn't like those either. It tangles up really badly and i'm dealing with the aftermath of that. I have little balls of hair here and there hanging on to other strands and causing more breakage. I feel like I have a hit a rough spot in the road. =( Aside from that I usually get really self conscious about my cowlick that I have on my temple. It makes it look like I have a sort of bald or thinning spot in that area. My hair isn't long enough to cover it and its not long enough to hang so it goes out and makes it visible. When I wear headbands it makes it more noticeable and I always think it looks weird because one side has hair on that temple and not a cowlick while the other side has this cowlick that makes it look like i have a bald spot. I'm really trying to work with my hair but it rejects everything I try. Any help ladies?

Comments

• CityGirl81CityGirl81 Registered Users Posts: 418
    I'm curious, when is the last time you had a trim? Deep Conditioned? What products are you using in your regimen? As for the cowlick, I have one too! Seems to be a common issue, and let me guess the spot is REALLY dry, brittle and has no curl pattern no matter what you do huh? Fill us in on what's going on.
  • lovelycurly23lovelycurly23 Registered Users Posts: 43
    I haven't had a trim in awhile since my bc. I use the gpb as a deep treatment with olive oil and I wear a plastic cap for about an hour or so. I don't poo at all. I have since remained cg since my hair doesn't like cones. I only use either the gpb but on most occasions I use the suave naturals aloe vera. I'm trying to switch to something else because suave isn't moisturizing enough. I have yet to find anything moisturizing and cg but within a good and affordable price range. LOL and yup the spot is really dry and brittle and won't form any curl for nothing. p.s. an explanation for the not trimming is because i have been told that if you trim your hair will stay the same length because you keep trimming but the breakage is taking care of that. xD
    bump
  • maysaymaysay Registered Users Posts: 218
    After you rinse out your conditioner and are going to style, do you moisturize your hair (before the olive oil)? If so, what are you using?

I find that Giovanni conditioners are really moisturizing and are pretty reasonably priced if you get them on sale. Or try tj maxx (or a similar type store) because they have the liter sizes for pretty cheap. The Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner is GREAT. It's a deep conditioner and it makes detangling easy (AO GPB is not so great for detangling in my opinion).

If I were you, I would find a good detangling moisturizing dc. Apply it to dry hair and detangle section by section, making sure you get all the shed hair and knots. Loosely braid or twist up each section (put something on the ends to make it stay) and let the conditioner sit for a bit (like 15-20 mins). Leave the braids in and go rinse out the conditioner, making sure you scrub your scalp well and rinse all the conditioner out. Once out, undo a section at a time, apply a leave-in/moisturizer, then braid that section up (and you can seal with an oil if you like). Make sure the braid has tension from root to end since the point of the braids is to stretch out your hair. Airdry, take the braids out and style your hair from there in a bun or pinned up style (southerntease bun is great for this because it works on almost all lengths).

Finding a good leave in will be trial and error. I've tried many over the last couple of years and I think just now have found something I can stick with (qhemet). Giovanni Direct Leave-In was not my friend since it left white residue in my hair but you can try it. And there are many other choices so you'll have to spend some time in the store reading ingredients and then pick one and hope for the best lol.

Basically, you want to avoid letting your hair shrink up (leads to single strand knots), letting your hair dry out (hence the dc, leavein, and airdry combination), and manipulation that isn't helpful to your hair. I've found working with stretched, moisturized hair is so much easier and much better for retaining length.

• MslizziaMslizzia Registered Users Posts: 600
    I haven't had a trim in awhile since my bc. I use the gpb as a deep treatment with olive oil and I wear a plastic cap for about an hour or so. I don't poo at all. I have since remained cg since my hair doesn't like cones. I only use either the gpb but on most occasions I use the suave naturals aloe vera. I'm trying to switch to something else because suave isn't moisturizing enough. I have yet to find anything moisturizing and cg but within a good and affordable price range. LOL and yup the spot is really dry and brittle and won't form any curl for nothing. p.s. an explanation for the not trimming is because i have been told that if you trim your hair will stay the same length because you keep trimming but the breakage is taking care of that. xD
    If you don't trim your hair when it needs to be, the split ends will just continue to split until it has damaged your hair. You seem to need a nother DC. Have you tried mixing shea butter with the AOHRS? Or the AOHRS with coconut oil?

My hair lovves coconut oil and when i DC with it, its so incredibly soft and moisturized so maybe you should start giving that a try.

Do you style your hair outside of puffs? It sounds to me like you just haven't found what works best for your hair and what doesn't
    @Maysay
    I saw some giovanni at walmart for around 5 dollars. I'll give it a try.
    @Mslizzia
    I haven't trimmed for months, but this weekend once I detangle i'll make sure to go and get a trim. I haven't tried AOHRS with shea butter or coconut oil. Is AOHRS the honey suckle rose conditioner? I put my hair in twists and wear it in a fro outside of doing puffs.
    @Maysay
    @Mslizzia
    I haven't trimmed for months, but this weekend once I detangle i'll make sure to go and get a trim. I haven't tried AOHRS with shea butter or coconut oil. Is AOHRS the honey suckle rose conditioner? I put my hair in twists and wear it in a fro outside of doing puffs.
    Yea that's wat AOHRS stands for and maybe you should try dc ur hair with that. I promise you coconut oil is one of the best things that ever happend to my hair. Hope it does the same for u
    @Maysay
    @Mslizzia
    Yea that's wat AOHRS stands for and maybe you should try dc ur hair with that. I promise you coconut oil is one of the best things that ever happend to my hair. Hope it does the same for u
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Registered Users Posts: 418

The bold part, I am VERY curious who gave you that information. If you do not cut breaking ends they will travel up the entire hair shaft, thus breaking the hair further. So please, PLEASE disregard whoever told you that.

I think you need a trim, which more than likely might end up a cut. Then get a deep conditioning and detangle you hair with lots of conditioner in it. I don't know where you live, but it sounds like you could benefit from daily or by daily cowashing. And also, as the ladies mentioned, it sounds like you don't have a leave in conditioner. I recommend the Giovanni Smooth as Silk and 50/50
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe I missed this, but what actual moisturizers are you using, besides the conditioners(you mentioned)? I wouldn't necessarily recommend a cut just yet, as sometimes if you wear your hair out the majority of the time, single-strand knots come with the territory. That's when I spot snip. :) But if it's causing as much damage as you're saying, you need a good trim. And you may want to utilize protective styling. That definitely cuts down on the single-strand knots.

It sounds like your hair is lacking moisture. A good leave in and a moisturizing cream should help with this. Or even a shea butter blend. I also second the Giovanni conditioners. I actually used the Smooth as Silk also as my leave in(along with my cowash conditioner), and it works VERY well as that.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • totallytwisted<3totallytwisted<3 Registered Users Posts: 228
    I adore my hair, but lately as in the past few months its been really frustrating me. Its long enough for me to put the back into a pony tail but the front wont fit because it isnt long enough yet. But i've been having major breakage and single strand knots everywhere. I'm getting really upset and sometimes I just want to give in. I have tried all kinds of things. I used some aubrey organics condish the gpb one. Its moist while on my hair and then I seal with olive oil but once my hair has fully dried it gets very dry once more. I have tried twists but my hair doesn't like those either. It tangles up really badly and i'm dealing with the aftermath of that. I have little balls of hair here and there hanging on to other strands and causing more breakage. I feel like I have a hit a rough spot in the road. =( Aside from that I usually get really self conscious about my cowlick that I have on my temple. It makes it look like I have a sort of bald or thinning spot in that area. My hair isn't long enough to cover it and its not long enough to hang so it goes out and makes it visible. When I wear headbands it makes it more noticeable and I always think it looks weird because one side has hair on that temple and not a cowlick while the other side has this cowlick that makes it look like i have a bald spot. I'm really trying to work with my hair but it rejects everything I try. Any help ladies?

I am at the same stage. What I have done that I should take pics of and post to help others. I twist up my hair bun the back that can be put into a ponytail. Then the rest of the hair that is too short I pin up in interesting ways. People have given me many compliments on it and say it looks like art lol. It looks regal and doesn't take that much effort. That's how I've been protective styling for the winter.
    Last Relaxer December 4, 2008
    BC Date March 13, 2009

Ultimate hair goal: APL braidout / WL straight

event.png

Current Loves are henna & hair steaming

http://members.fotki.com/backtobasics/about UPDATED!!! 8/07/10
    @Citygirl
    Yeah, I won't make the mistake of not trimming anymore. How often should I trim?
    @Eccentric
    Does Giovanni make moisturizing cream?
    @Totallytwisted
    You should post pictures and how to's. I would definitely be interested.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file