Berlin curlies/nappies???

tinyspiralstinyspirals Posts: 17Registered Users
Are there any curlies or nappies in Berlin? I just moved here and I've been feeling really... out here (as far as hair goes).

Comments

• AsjaChyldAsjaChyld Posts: 111Registered Users
    I'm in Bavaria and I had a little girl stop and point at me yesterday. My hair DEFINITELY getting looks...

My biggest concern is the hard water!! My hair is HATING it :(
    Asja
    Hair:
    4A (some 3C-ish in front)
    Thick, coarse, & UTTERLY unruly
    Hair Album: http://public.fotki.com/asjachyld
    Password: ncgirl Latest Pics: Nov 05
  • LadyLboogieLadyLboogie Posts: 109Registered Users
    I am traveling to Berlin shortly. Am I going to have problems with Wash/Go styles because of the water? I am not sure how I want to wear my hair and if I can't get a good rinse....I am up the creak.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I live in the US...but I trave to Germany several times a year for work. I'm usually in places that have large american poppulations/military bases...but I still get sorta strange looks....epsically if my hair is out and wild.

Yes...the water in Germany is extremely hard...so I counter that by using mostly protein free products and stylers with little/no protein and lots of butters.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I live in the US...but I trave to Germany several times a year for work. I'm usually in places that have large american poppulations/military bases...but I still get sorta strange looks....epsically if my hair is out and wild.

Yes...the water in Germany is extremely hard...so I counter that by using mostly protein free products and stylers with little/no protein and lots of butters.

Thanks so much for responding.

So I know this might start a slew of posts but, why do I need to avoid conditioners and stylers that have protein in them when hard water is present? Will it make me super frizz?

Also, can you or someone else give an example of gels and conditioners (little/no protein) that can be purchased at a regular store or the local beauty supply store.

Thanks in advance

(side note, is there a must buy while I am there?)
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well I avoid the protein in hard water because the water tends to make my hair frizz/hard....and then too much protein can add to the hard feeling. each person is different, so u might not have a problem at all. If you are in a hotel, a lot of them have water softner systems installed because of the hard water, so it might not even be an issue!

I don't really use gel, but the one I do use I think is protein free...Elasta QP Feels like silk. you can find it at most BSS.

Protein free conditioners
    -Tigi Moisture Manic (it has silk protein all the way at the bottom...but it doesn't bother me)
    -Aubrey Organics has a few protein free conditioners (vitaimin shop carries them)
    -Regis Designline Olive oil Conditioner (regis chain salons)
    -Aussie Moist Conditioner

Hope this helps

12459237.png
    Thanks a zillion. I have Aubrey Organics, so it looks like I can stick with what I have. I will just use that as my leave in and call it a day. Maybe I will whip up a shea butter concoction that I can use on my hair and body if I need something more.
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am traveling to Berlin shortly. Am I going to have problems with Wash/Go styles because of the water? I am not sure how I want to wear my hair and if I can't get a good rinse....I am up the creak.

I was in Germany last year. Yes, the water is hard--I couldn't drink it...though I could use it for tea. Anyway, the second time I washed my hair, I used baking soda. I then used a conditioner that I bought in Germany called, Schwarzkopf Gliss Kur Hair Repair Oil Nutritive Repair-Butter-Kur Anti-Spliss. It has a light peach scent. The first three ingredients are: water, cetearyl alcohol and shea butter (butyrospermum parkii). It is excellent! I bought only one jar, sadly. The next time I go to Germany, I will ship a box of the conditioner home.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
    Greatcurls wrote: »

I was in Germany last year. Yes, the water is hard--I couldn't drink it...though I could use it for tea. Anyway, the second time I washed my hair, I used baking soda. I then used a conditioner that I bought in Germany called, Schwarzkopf Gliss Kur Hair Repair Oil Nutritive Repair-Butter-Kur Anti-Spliss. It has a light peach scent. The first three ingredients are: water, cetearyl alcohol and shea butter (butyrospermum parkii). It is excellent! I bought only one jar, sadly. The next time I go to Germany, I will ship a box of the conditioner home.

Humm....you don't say? I'll be in Germany in August I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. Did you find it in a store like Aldi, Rewe, or Kaufland? Or did you go to the Apotheke?

Hey...can you post a link to a pic...I'm trying to see if I've ever seen this before. Also, what did it do to your hair?

12459237.png
    Nappy_curly_crown:

I bought the product in a store called Real; I think I also saw it in Rewe. I didn't go to the Apotheke last time, but it might be there as well. Here is the link:

http://www.glisskur.de/index.php?id=89
    Click on the picture, then click on Inhaltsstoffe (ingredients)

It looks like the company has added two new products. If the economy gets better, I want to go back to Germany and get these products!

It softened my hair--just like my favorite conditioners. Now, I always use heat when I deep condition my hair, so I don't know how how your hair will respond without the heat. However, I'm sure it would be good to use as a co-wash.

Let me know how you like it!
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users

Humm....you don't say? I'll be in Germany in August I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. Did you find it in a store like Aldi, Rewe, or Kaufland? Or did you go to the Apotheke?

Hey...can you post a link to a pic...I'm trying to see if I've ever seen this before. Also, what did it do to your hair?
    I see your PJism has crossed international lines
    afrikurl wrote: »

I see your PJism has crossed international lines

Hush...lol.

12459237.png
  • mikievoramikievora Posts: 83Registered Users
    im in heidelberg. surprisingly, in the last year, i have been seeing lots and lots of naturals. i work on base, so obviously several are americans, but im also seeing more non-american blacks in the city with natural hair. its awesome!

@greatcurls, im going to try that swartzkopf stuff! ive seen that line in pretty much every grocery/hair store/walmart-type store.
    Frizz Central!
    Let's us know how your hair responds to it!
  • mixededmixeded Posts: 381Registered Users
    Are there any curlies or nappies in Berlin? I just moved here and I've been feeling really... out here (as far as hair goes).

I WISH I was in Berlin! I grew up there but I'm back in the States now. Great city. Hang in there regarding the hair thing, you have my transatlantic support.
    And I do remember the water being particularly hard there. My hair was relaxed for all those years though so I don't know how my hair would react to that water now. *shudder*
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    ^ ^ That's funny.

Of course, I have to get the "Schwarzkopf Gliss Kur Hair Repair Oil Nutritive Repair-Butter-Kur Anti-Spliss." How can I go overseas and ignore a recommended hair care product. Which then means I have to use it while i am there, otherwise, I may be kicking myself from coming back with only one jar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file