Talking customers out of/into sales.

I picked out some Biolage Condish. Balm today at the salon where my husband was getting a cut. The sales girl was very rude and told me that I needed the hydrating balm and the shampoo that went along with it. Nope. I wanted something CG and not something that I will have to shampoo out. Oh well, she kept trying to pitch products for thick/coarse hair. I was thinking, Sister, you've almost talked yourself out of this sale. My hair is medium all the way around and I certainly don't need heavy products for coarse or thick hair. She was just too pushy and kept telling me stuff like I haven't live with my hair for 35 years and know what I needed.

Comments

• Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Registered Users Posts: 268
    :(, I'm sorry. I guess she thought your hair was thicker than it was because it was curly, I guess. I wish my hair could be thicker! Good for you for standing up and not giving into her! I probably would have given in, just so she would shut up, haha:).
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    She kept pushing the thick/coarse products even after I said my hair wasn't thick and tends to get weighed down very easily.
  • kmuldrowkmuldrow Registered Users Posts: 6
    Been there. Luckily I know how to give salespeople the "GTFOH/ I'll call you when I need you" look.
    3b-4a...coarse and lots of it.

The truth is all I have for you because it's all I know...
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Great sales people know how to listen, when to probe, and to stop immediately once the deal is closed.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • anonymous_29030anonymous_29030 Registered Users Posts: 619
    I was told by a (White) stylist at a Toni & Guy in North London who claimed to specialize in curly hair that I had thick/coarse hair. I told her I had fine/dense hair. She disagreed and said "Black" people have coarse hair.

In my case the curly hair prejudice was backed up with some good old-fashioned racism. This stylist also had no knowledge of any of the curly hair products I mentioned and had never heard of porosity, density, or elasticity.

After that incident, I decided if I needed a blow-out in a bind I would see her but otherwise: never again.
    Speckla wrote: »
    She kept pushing the thick/coarse products even after I said my hair wasn't thick and tends to get weighed down very easily.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I will tell a pushy person straight up that they are talking themselves out of a sale. It usually stops them.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • CurlyQMomCurlyQMom Registered Users Posts: 203
    Great sales people know how to listen, when to probe, and to stop immediately once the deal is closed.

+1

Sadly, I've only a few of these when it comes to curly hair care products.
    Sulfate & Silcone Free since July 2009
    2C-3A normal to high (ends) porosity, medium texture, lower end of med density
    Currently experimenting with Water Only Washing and dropping stylers

Negative on: AOHR, mineral oil
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyQMom/
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Registered Users Posts: 230
    Ine time I was going to buy a more mild bkt shampoo (even though I do not have a bkt) which was about $20 or so. The stylist INSISTED (after trying to persuade me to give her $400 to get a bkt :sad3:) that I buy the conditioner as well because "Theyre meant to be used together" :roll:
    I tried to explain to her that I have PLENTY of conditioners at home (I may have had atleast 10 bottles sitting in my cabinet at the time) and I dont shampoo my hair often. But she wouldn't have it.
    I finally just said to her: "NO! I am not spending $20 on a bottle of conditioner that a) I've never heard of, and b) that I don't need. I'm not buying it!"angry9:

She's lucky i tipped her:angry7:
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file