Using the method for ~ 4 months and now dandruff?

KPak1984KPak1984 Posts: 12Registered Users
Products I use are:

TIGI moisture maniac mixed w. water for my scalp cleanser

Kenra moisture CO for my everywhere

Biosilk rockgel

Pantene curl scrunch mousse

Using the method going on almost 5 months and noticed major dandruff today. I've NEVER had it before! Anyone else experienced this? Is it my transitional phase? Is it the weather?

Any help would be really great!

Kim-

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you thought about going curly girl? Mousse tends to be drying, but it is really helpful for body and curl formation for those with fine, wavy or fine, loose curly hair. Mouse also tends to not have the best ingredients in it if you follow the curly girl method. My guess for the dandruff would be that either you have a lot of build-up or your current routine is drying your scalp.

My boyfriend has horrible dandruff. What has worked for him has been to use a non-sulfate shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner without silicones. I also apply natural oils on his scalp from time to time. This routine has helped significantly to reduce his dandruff and the visibility of it. However, you would have to wash with a clarifying shampoo before following this routine, since your current products contain silicones and possibly petrolatum.

I would also ask the 4a board and the general board, because many of the women have had dandruff issues in the past, as well as these two boards get much more traffic than the 3b one. Also, did you start getting dandruff suddenly?
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • KPak1984KPak1984 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Have you thought about going curly girl? Mousse tends to be drying, but it is really helpful for body and curl formation for those with fine, wavy or fine, loose curly hair. Mouse also tends to not have the best ingredients in it if you follow the curly girl method. My guess for the dandruff would be that either you have a lot of build-up or your current routine is drying your scalp.

My boyfriend has horrible dandruff. What has worked for him has been to use a non-sulfate shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner without silicones. I also apply natural oils on his scalp from time to time. This routine has helped significantly to reduce his dandruff and the visibility of it. However, you would have to wash with a clarifying shampoo before following this routine, since your current products contain silicones and possibly petrolatum.

I would also ask the 4a board and the general board, because many of the women have had dandruff issues in the past, as well as these two boards get much more traffic than the 3b one. Also, did you start getting dandruff suddenly?

Hello~! I don't know if something got lost, but I have been following the CGM for almost 5 months now. All my products listed are CGM approved. I don't know what is causing my dandruff, but I will have to research more.

Thank you anyways.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    KPak -- your OP was a little unclear, and I was unaware that Pantene or mousse was made without silicones. Is there an ingredient ending in -xane? That is also a silicone. Well if you didn't have dandruff before starting CG, then it is probably build up. You may have to do one wash with sulfates to remove build up, and then continue with the CG method. Also, adding a little baking soda to your shampoo or doing an ACV rinse can help remove buildup, so you may want to try one of these methods before doing a sulfate wash. HTH
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • LaMareaLaMarea Posts: 11Registered Users
    Sorry, this is kind of a late response, but I was browsing the 3B forum and read this string and thought I might give my two cents!

You should follow the weather (i.e dew points especially) because depending on where you live, weather changes could be a problem. If you've been using the same routine for 5 months or more, I would doubt that you'd suddenly experience a bout of dandruff due to product build up. I think that would have shown up earlier. The clue for me was that you made the post in December. I live in Atlanta and during December I started getting really itchy scalp and dandruff. The dew points had recently dropped into the teens and my hair and scalp reacted to the change. I started applying Shea butter and jojoba oil several times a day to my scalp and massaging it in, and that helped after a few days.

So, depending on where you live it may be a dryness problem. Seems more likely than product build-up after 5 months of the same routine and no dandruff problem before now.
    3B curls, coarse, high porosity, low- to medium density.

CO-wash: Burt's Bees "Super Shiny", Suave Coconut, ACV or lemon rinses weekly
    Style: Jessicurl's CCSS & RR, AG Re:coil
    DT: homemade mix: shea butter plus some/all of the following: coconut oil jojoba oil, avocado oil, cocoa butter, castor oil; several drops of EOs
    'Poos (when needed): Jessicurl HCC (may try her GL poo during the summer)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file