Why Am I Not Losing?

ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
For the last 3 weeks I have added fairly intense cardio to my workouts. I had been doing Callanetics and for some reason while I was doing that I increased my junk food eating. I didn't gain weight but I didn't reshape my middle which happened the last time I used Callanetics.

I decided to add interval running 3 days a week and switch from Callanetics to Tammi Lee Webb's "I Want That Body" for arms and butt. I am eating a lot more fruit and veggies and less junk, notice I didn't say NO junk. Not only have I not lost any weight I was actually up 2 pounds today. Anybody have any ideas?

Please don't suggest I cut out all sugar and sweets, it isn't going to happen. I do eat whole grains at home for bread, tortillas, and pasta.

Thanks

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Do you feel skinnier? Are your clothes looser? Because in my recent weight loss efforts, I've found it necessary to focus on those things and not the scale. I guess it was that old "muscle weighs more than fat" thing or something.

Also, I'm in my mid-30s now and the lengths I have to go to to lose weight now compared in my mid-20s is unbelieveable. I was in severe denial about that, but it's really true.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    No, to the first two questions and I am in my 50's, so I know what you mean. Although I was 45 before I started having to pay attention to my weight. I was always very thin, now I need to lose 10 pounds of flab mostly around my middle.
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Have you heard of HIT (High Intensity Training)? I started doing this when I hit a plateau and it really, really helped break it! I'll try to find the article I read, but basically, whichever cardio you're doing (running, walking, elliptical, cycling,etc), you do 4 minutes at your rest rate (pulse) and do 1 minute as FAST as you can, then go back to your resting rate for 4 minutes. Do this for at least 4-5 times. Once you've done it a couple or so weeks, then you can decrease the resting rate time by a minute and increase the high rate by one minute.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    lushaholic, isn't that the same as interval training? I am already doing that with my running. I run for a minute or two (sometimes up a hill), and then do fast walking for a few minutes.
    It's not quite the same. I thought so too at first because this is also a twist on interval training. But I was wrong because while I was also doing intervals and changing them every 2-3 minutes, this is a bit more intense due to that 1 minute when you are supposed to work your ass off (meaning go harder and faster than you've ever gone before.) I get a little self-conscious when I'm doing it at the gym because I know people are looking at me like I'm crazy but it's worth the results. :lol:
    High Intensity Interval Training
    Thanks lushaholic! I printed this out and am excited to try it. I also ran out and bought some apple cider vinegar (from the thread in non-hair), and between the two I would hope I could take off this 10 pounds by the end of October. My mom's 80th birthday party is then and I would love to feel fitter.
    No problem! I really hope it works for you! :)
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    thanks for the article...

sdcurly the only other things i would recommend is to watch your water intake...i started weight watchers this week so i could do a better job of tracking my food and i'm far more aware of my water intake and between that and the 5 servings of veggies & fruit i'm even more regular and i feel it's making a difference in my weight....i'm not at all worried that i will have at least lost 1 or 2 lbs by my next weigh in.

good luck!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    Thanks for the water suggestion. I do drink water all day at work, but I don't drink that much on the weekends.
    and fiber....without going overboard on supplements i take a natural cranberry juice (1-2 oz) and mix it with water (7 oz) and then add a heaping teaspoon of powdered psyllium husks (you can buy them very cheaply at whole foods or vitamin shoppe) and i drink it down. this cocktail is mentioned in the fat flush book and it's been in other health articles i've seen. it definitely adds fiber and i believe adds in flushing the system and eliminating bloat....between the extra fiber and water (on the weekends) you should be set! i was the same way about water on the weekends but since i just try to always have a glass of water in the morning and whenever i'm just around during the day and in the evning and then when i eat i try to drink water instead of anything else and that way i know i am getting enough water....sometimes i still have iced tea but i drink it with no sugar or sweeteners so i don't feel guilty.

below are some notes i took at a detox seminar....detox may be the thing to help you push past your plateau

Detoxification

- Medications & stress are hard on the body
    - It takes 3-6 months to cleanse the liver
    - Seaweed and other herbs good for cleansing

Levels of toxin build-up
    1 - Liver
    2 - Kidneys
    3 - Colon (70% of all toxins accumulate in the colon)
    4 - Lymphatic system (cleansing system)
    5 - Fat cells (buildup pushes through the skin causing the appearance of cellulite)
    6 - Skin (the skin shows toxins)

Drink to Detox
    from The Fat Flush Plan
    cleanses the liver

Mix 1 teaspoon of powdered psyllium husk (or 2 tsp ground flaxseed) in 8 oz of diluted unsweeted cranberry juice (1 oz pure cranberry juice to 7 oz water)

Drink cocktail twice a day; in the morning and before bed

In addition, drink 8 oz of hot water with lemon twice a day for proper elimination of toxins
  • The ScientistThe Scientist Registered Users Posts: 239 Curl Connoisseur
    Also, what happens after you've been working out for a while is you will be building muscle, which is denser than fat. So while the scales may not be showing that you're losing WEIGHT, you may be losing FAT. But if you don't think so, a common problem is that your body gets used to doing the same routines over and over again. So try different things-- cycling along with running, elliptical, stairmaster even. Just to vary things a bit. Also I hear free weights are much better than machines, so try free weights. It is important to incorporate strength training into your workout. And muscle mass burns more calories than fat mass.

Another thing: on average it takes about 6 to 8 weeks for most women to see any visible results.

HTH!
    2c/3a modified CG
    HG product: AG Recoil... Searching for others...
    HG method: pixiecurl method of drying. I'll never go back!
    The Scientist - I have been varying my routine starting about a month ago. I definitely have not lost fat yet. The Tammi Lee Webb routine is free weights.

My trouble is eating, I'm now sure. I ate too much yesterday and it showed on the scale this morning.

I was planning to do the HIIT this morning. I actually went out to start, but I ran my little toe into a step last night and I believe it's broken. It's swollen and bruised. I had to wear my most comfy sandals to work today and I am limping anyway when I walk.

When I had my running shoes on to try the HIIT the pain was radiating through all of my toes. Luckily I have a doctors appointment this afternooon anyway, so I'll have him look at it.

I really need to quit eating junk. Yesterday my downfall was a cheeseburger, fries and strawberry shake. I've also been doing the apple cider vinegar drink twice a day and I kind of think it is increasing my appetite. I am going to keep it up the rest of this week though to really test it out.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Another way to monitor your progress is by measuring the circumference of different parts of your body with a tape measure. Waist, hips, upper arm, and thigh might be good places to hit. Or, you can just take to wearing a belt. A lot of people will get more toned and slimmer without actually losing weight.

Also, diet is about what you eat over time. Having a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink] and fries is fine, as long as it isn't every day. There is absolutely no reason to worry if you weigh a pound more from one day to the next. That's totally normal. One pound of fat is 3,500 calories.

Have you spoken to a doctor, trainer, or nutritionist? They can make a lot of suggestions tailored to your needs, and help you plan and monitor your progress.
    Thanks everyone. I 've actually started to lose a little. I cut back on the eating (except Saturday night), and started the HIIT. That really is tough. Hopefully, I can keep it up.

As far as fiber, I have been eating a lot of fruit and veggies lately so I am getting a good bit of fiber and most of my grains are whole wheat.
    I just wanted to add that I am now down 4 pounds and I credit it mostly to the HIIT. I have done it 4 times now and can barely do a full minute. I may stay at that level another week and then try the next level and start adding weights back in.

I also am trying to eat a little less, but I am not being overly strict and I really do think the exercise is mostly responsible so thanks lushaholic!
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Registered Users Posts: 123
    Also, mix it up, the body gets used to doing the same routine and one might hit a plateau. I used to run a lot and after a while my body just got used to it so I started taking cycling classes and mixing that up with other cardio workouts.
    So glad the HIIT is working for you sdcurly!! :D It really does help break those plateaus! I'm taking the week off the last 2 weeks from HIIT but will start back on it again next week. I figured it's good to even give that a break at times, to shock up your system some. :)
    Thanks everyone. I do intend to mix it up.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    REally good advice so far.

I would also add that, as you know, DIET is really important. Even now, in my early 30s, I can exercise till the cows come home -- but unless I watch what I eat/portion size, I will not lose weight -- even gain.

This site is EXCELLENT for telling you how many calories you need to consume to lose weight/fat. www.freedieting.com. Go to the "calculators" part.

Varying the cals you eat every day (as they show you in the "zig-zag" method) is also an excellent way to shake things up.
    just checking in....how's everyone doing??
    HIIT is HARD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list