What works for you that "shouldn't"?

BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
For example, I have fine to normal hair (thinner, less dense at the front and thicker in the crown and back), so you would think that heavy butters and oils "shouldn't" work for my hair. But when I use light leave ins, or watery conditioners, my hair gets mad at me. :argue: However it loves raw shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil (only recently), and this seems to defy the conventional wisdom about thin-ish hair.

Maybe this is a climate thing here, but aloe vera gel doesn't like me either, but for some reason gylcerine containing curl activator gels do.. Why? I don't know, but all I can do is go with the flow of what works..

Anyone else want to share what works for you that shouldn't?
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Comments

• april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    going product free. i used to be scared to death of leaving my house with out shellacking my hair to death as my hair is very thick. one day i was in a hurry and i didn't feel like difussing a head full of product, so i just rinsed my conditioner, added nothing, air dried and i had great defined fluffy curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    CONES! lol everyone runs the other way when they spot them on ingredient lists but my hair really likes them and they don't leave build up, at least for me.
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • GrimelleGrimelle Posts: 7Registered Users
    Suave hair products!! I am so not a product junkie...everyone assumes I use some kind of specialty product, but i don't think i've ever spent more than $5 on a hair care product. I wash and condition with good ol' Suave Cherry Blossom every day and my hair has never looked (or smelled) better. Style with a dab of the same conditioner and no-alcohol gel, blow-dry, and go!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    going product free.

Well your hair is beautiful.. it's amazing that you can do that! :compress:
    curledlove wrote: »
    CONES! lol everyone runs the other way when they spot them on ingredient lists but my hair really likes them and they don't leave build up, at least for me.

Yeah I switch between CG and water-soluble 'cones too.
    Grimelle wrote: »
    Suave hair products!! I am so not a product junkie...everyone assumes I use some kind of specialty product, but i don't think i've ever spent more than $5 on a hair care product.

A curly after my own heart.. I refuse to pay more than $10 for a hair product.

Interesting posts ladies.. thank you!
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • browncrayolabrowncrayola Posts: 3Registered Users
    ditto on the product free. I feel like I have to use all these products in my hair, but when I don't it comes out just the way I want/need it too :)

Happy Holidays
    D.
    3c/4a - transitioned - no big chop.
    Wash: Lush Coconut Bar or Mizani Clairfying Shampoo
    Condition: Combination-Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Coconut Oil, and Olive Oil
    Style: Paul Mitchell Foaming Poamade, Oyin Handmade Shine and Define, Carols Daughter Hair Milk. (curl stimulators [Miss Jessies and Kinky Curly] give me a jeri curl, i've given up) BUT, I like the Curly Meriange.
    Morning Wake Up: Oyin Handmade Juices and Berrys :tongue5: and Hair Milk.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Doing absolutely nothing with my hair. I'm so lazy about styling it, detangling it, and doing DT's and things like that, that I'm surprised my hair hasn't knotted itself up into one big dread. Surprisingly, my hair seems to thrive on limited manipulation. I also use one conditioner now (as a DT, co-wash and a leave-in), one shampoo bar, and one styler and my hair has never felt or looked better and it's actually grown a lot longer.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Any gel or styler that curls my still relaxed tips up top! For instance, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] isn't supposed to "curl" hair (on the site they say it won't "work" on relaxed hair), but when I get out of the shower my relaxed hair looks straight, then I add gel and scrunch and it's full of crazy curls. Can't hate!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CarameliciousCaramelicious Posts: 65Registered Users
    I like alcohol free gels. I really like them. They define my curls really well.

• Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I have fine/medium texture hair, I always thought shea butter would be to heavy for my hair, turns out my hair is porous and loves shea whipped with coconut oil.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    cones and sulfates. but i cant do cones without a sulfate shampoo. i can use a sulfate shampoo on a regular basis without disaster.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ammonium lauryl sulfate. I wash my hair once a week with Suave Naturals shampoo and my hair looks great. I also wash with a nonsulfate shampoo once every two to three days. My scalp is super oily, although my hair tends to be on the dry side. When I don't wash my hair as often, my hair looks dull, dry and frizzy.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    I flat-ironed over the weekend, trimmed off some scraggly ends and evened up my layers. I maintained the straight (boring) hair for three days. This morning I wetted my hair again to bring back my curls, and they are super soft..

Is it the temporary heating of my hair that did this? I haven't even DC'd! Weird, but I like the results. :thumbright:
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    I flat-ironed over the weekend, trimmed off some scraggly ends and evened up my layers. I maintained the straight (boring) hair for three days. This morning I wetted my hair again to bring back my curls, and they are super soft..

Is it the temporary heating of my hair that did this? I haven't even DC'd! Weird, but I like the results. :thumbright:

A lot of curlies on this site have said that they have better curl formation after flat-ironing or wearing their hair straight. I have no idea why. :dontknow:
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

A lot of curlies on this site have said that they have better curl formation after flat-ironing or wearing their hair straight. I have no idea why. :dontknow:

See, ya learn something new everyday.. I haven't heard that before.
  • AimWardAimWard Posts: 192Registered Users
    Rain works for me. I got caught in it today with no umbrella. Instead of ducking for cover, I just said to hell with it, went on about my business, and didn't touch my hair. Everyone kept complimenting me @ work. A random stranger stopped and asked if my curls were natural. I went to the bathroom and when I look in the mirror, I had little bouncy corkscrews all over the ends of my hair. I'm now convinced that rain is the ultimate curl refresher.
    I like my gels light, my oils heavy, my conditioners thick, and my curls long...
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    AimWard wrote: »
    Rain works for me. I got caught in it today with no umbrella. Instead of ducking for cover, I just said to hell with it, went on about my business, and didn't touch my hair. Everyone kept complimenting me @ work. A random stranger stopped and asked if my curls were natural. I went to the bathroom and when I look in the mirror, I had little bouncy corkscrews all over the ends of my hair. I'm now convinced that rain is the ultimate curl refresher.

Hah, I wish! In smog consumed LA every time it rains I feel like someone poured ashes in my hair.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Posts: 772Banned Users
    It's probably easier to say what doesnt work for me that should... But as one poster said the rain... not even just rain but a cold humid day.. i guess it makes my hair stay damp longer lol so it looks good most of the day
    "Relaxer free Since 2003"
    3C in constant search for something that works!

3C/4B(hairs that act 4b even if they technically aren't) no clue what i'm doing..:geek::hello2::afro:
    I will respond as I see fit. It should be about freedom to express our opinions, You're free to say what you like as should others. Get a Thicker Skin if no one can disagree with you without you feeling bullied and running to Admin Hellllllpppppp Meeee Adminnnnn Pleaseeee!!!! Smh
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Posts: 139Registered Users
    The Curuso Molecular Hair Setter lol.

Back story: I have no idea how to wrap my hair, roller set it, etc. So to make it "presentable" and somewhat styled, I will flat iron and curl it. Back in the day, it was with a big barrel curler or hot rollers. THEN I discovered the Curuso steam rollers a couple years ago *I was still relaxed then.

I read somewhere it would not work on natuarl hair & it would leave it a frizzy ball, so I let it collect dust. A few months ago, I decided to just try it and see what happens. The curls lasted all night! My hair felt so soft and bouncy. Will defintely try it again & perfect the technique for special occassions!
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
    SandraDGroovy, you had great results! ;)
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Posts: 139Registered Users
    Thank you!
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file