CG Products? Newbie needs help please

b1dd5b1dd5 Registered Users Posts: 87
Hi , have check my conditioner and it has no cones etc. Is this gonna be good enough?its a good high street brand? Also, what else do i need? How often to i co wash please help. Thanks[/quote]
Album: http://public.fotki.com/b1dd5/
Password: curlywurly
With your curly hair,fun personality,and cuteness in general, you could wear underpants on your head and still look good.
Very cute. those big juicy curls haa... i love em :P

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    VO5 Naturals, Suave Naturals, and White Rain are all popular lines for COwashes. They're dirt cheap, so it doesn't matter if you need a lot to wash your hair. Have to admit, I don't know what a "high street brand" is. Is that the same as high end, high quality?

If you're starting out, you'll probably need to COwash every day. After a few weeks, you might find that you're able to COwash only a few times a week. On the off days, you may want to leave your hair alone, or just rinse with water. Also, you should be prepared to switch to a different COwash. Some people have problems with particular brands or conditioners.

If you could describe your hair (giving your number/letter would be best), it would be easier to recommend products for you. As it is, you'll mostly likely want to use a gel unless your hair is only slightly wavy, in which case a mousse might be better. I don't know about mousses since I don't use one, but popular gels are Herbal Essences Set Me Up and Totally Twisted, Suave Anti-Frizz, and a variety of Dep and LA Sports gels. There's also Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, but that's only if your hair needs extreme hold. You'd probably have to use a leave-in conditioner under that.

Don't forget to avoid -cone, -xane, mineral oil/petrolatum, paraffin and other waxes, and lanolin. Exceptions: dimethicone copolyol is fine to use, as is any ingredient that starts with PEG-(number).

If you look through these boards, you'll find a lot more suggestions.
  • b1dd5b1dd5 Registered Users Posts: 87
    Thanks Eilonwy...... I am a male and want to define my curls more than ever. I have stariaghtened ny hair for a long time and even longer, had short hair. I am probably borderline with 3a and 3b. Its V curly and V think.

Also when i say high street brand i mean that its bought form local shops, supermarkets. Not professional salaons etcc. Its about 4 pound a bottle.

Also on the subject.... what is difference betwen co wash and condition??? i keep hearing lots of people use them on diff occaisions when to me i thought they would be the same. Thanks
    With your curly hair,fun personality,and cuteness in general, you could wear underpants on your head and still look good.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    b1dd5 wrote:
    Thanks Eilonwy...... I am a male and want to define my curls more than ever. I have stariaghtened ny hair for a long time and even longer, had short hair. I am probably borderline with 3a and 3b. Its V curly and V think.

Also when i say high street brand i mean that its bought form local shops, supermarkets. Not professional salaons etcc. Its about 4 pound a bottle.

Also on the subject.... what is difference betwen co wash and condition??? i keep hearing lots of people use them on diff occaisions when to me i thought they would be the same. Thanks
    co washing is using the conditioner as you would use shampoo. conditioning is the conditioning that you do after and leave it in for a minute or so. i think we shorten the two steps and call it all co washing. and its confusing me trying to explain this lol
    3b-3c CG
  • dana222dana222 Registered Users Posts: 33
    should i shampoo out my hair that contains products with tons of cones tonight and start doing cowash stuff tommorow because i want to go cg the right way.. I want to go cone and shampoo free but do i need to do an initial shampoo to free my hair of the cones? or will co wash get rid of the old cones
    blonde/3a-3b - PJ!! :)
    likes--cj hbdt, tress fx, arc angell, recoil, Ouidad DT, brhg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    You should definitely use a clarifying shampoo with sulfates before you start CG.

Thanks for explaining "high street." As long as it doesn't have water-insoluble ingredients or ingredients that might bother your hair (some people don't like proteins, for instance), it doesn't generally matter what you use for your COwash. You'll probably wind up with a few favorites, though. Most CGers use a really cheap one for COwashing, anyway.

I know that when I use the word "COwash" instead of "condition," I mean the act of washing my hair with conditioner, or the conditioner I use to do that. But when I *condition*, I use conditioner in the usual way--I leave it on my hair for a bit, and rinse it out.
  • b1dd5b1dd5 Registered Users Posts: 87
    ok ok i am gettin the jist of all this now. Thanks guys!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file