Mammograms

PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
Well, now that I'm 40, I need to schedule my first mammogram. Has anyone here had one? (I'm assuming the answer is "yes!") Any words of wisdom for me, like tips, or advice on what it's like or how long it takes? Thanks!
Minneapolis, MN

Comments

• internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    Yes. It's uncomfortable as heck but you'll live. And you'll be amazed at just how flat they can make your boob.
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    I'm high risk, so I get to have one every year.

2 weeks before my 40th birthday, I got a pink flyer in the mail. You're 40! Time to schedule your mammogram. :evil: That was NOT appreciated.

Anyway, I usually take an ibuprofen an hour ahead. You're not supposed to have any deo or powder on, but they'll give you wipes to remove it if you have it. Sometimes they forget, so don't be afraid to ask....deo and powder can cause false marks on the film.

They usually do at least 4 images. You step right up into the plates. They don't just grab the breast, they also try to grab a lot of the tissue above the breast and from under the arm.

I'm small, and I think it hurts quite a bit, but it's kind of like dental x-rays...they get you set, run to take the image, then have a remote control to release the plates.

The technician reviews the films to make sure it looks OK, and if an image looks poor, might try again.

If they can't get a good image, try asking for an ultrasound which isn't painful at all (but costs more and takes more time to analyze, since it's a movie, not an image).

Oh, and if you have any breast tenderness at certain times, be SURE to schedule the mammogram when that isn't happening! They like 2 weeks after your period, when your glands shouldn't be swollen.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    Wow, Castella, thank you for all the information!

InternetChick & Castella, I assumed it was no fun, but am optimistic that it won't be TOO painful... maybe I'm too optimistic?

Z, I'm afraid to look at your link! :lol:
    Minneapolis, MN
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    I've had one every year for 10 years now. It seems that those who are very small or very large might have the most discomfort. It can also depend on the technician, the machine, etc. I've never had any pain at all, just some pressure. The whole process is very quick.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • reallyLilyreallyLily Registered Users Posts: 73 Curl Connoisseur
    I had a "screening" one when I turned 35. I expected it to be uncomfortable, but my clinic has a new digital machine, and it was like nothing...it was quick and painless.
    2b/3a wavy
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    It doesn't take long. It isn't the most comfortable thing, but since my breast cancer was detected at an early stage, I highly promote getting them on a regular basis starting at 40. I just heard last night at the beauty salon that one of the stylists was just diagnosed with breast cancer which was detected with her last mammogram. Definitely worth a little discomfort. Since my cancer was said to have been very aggressive and was detected at an early stage, I owe my life to my mammogram.
    3b/c
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    My Mom got her first mammogram at 40, for no reason other than they tell you to do it at 40. They detected breast cancer, and took care of it (lumpectome, chemo, radiation), and now she's been cancer-free for almost 7 years. It was a big deal when she passed the 5-year mark, because I believe it's most likely to come back within 5 years if it's going to come back at all (the kind of cancer she had, at least).

So definitely don't put off those mammograms!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    I don't find them painful at all. The squeezing is uncomfortable, but not painful.
    It IS worth it, it doesn't take long, and once it's done, it's DONE.

A lot of women don't have any discomfort. Size factors in, also the skill of the technician and also your breast density. If you've got a lot of density that makes it harder for them to read the image, they may apply more pressure to try and get a better image.

It's better than going to the dentist. I don't even get worked up about the mammograms any more, I don't wait for the reminder, I'm very proactive and just go and get it done.

Also, if you're uncomfortable, you can tell the technician. She (most likely a she) will work with you to get a good image without causing unnecessary pain.

You'll be fine!
    formerly Castella
    I have an appointment October 11th. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Minneapolis, MN
  • MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
    SuZen wrote:
    I don't find them painful at all. The squeezing is uncomfortable, but not painful.

Same here-besides,it takes a SECOND!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • WiregirlWiregirl Registered Users Posts: 1,695
    I have one every year, never had any pain, just squeezing!
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    I haven't ever had one myself, but in Tucson it's well known that there's *one* place in town which is really, really good and not painful. I'm sure size and density do make a difference, but all the women in my family used to complain how painful mammograms are, and now think they're fine. Not comfortable, but not BAD. So I think it's a matter of finding a good place-check around for recommendations from other people you know.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    Well, it really was no big deal. They took 4 pics, and lifted and squashed and made my breasts just feel like big slabs of flesh, which, of course, they are. :lol: I will get the results back within 2 weeks.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Poodle...I assume everything went ok?

I go the day after my birfday...
    Happy b-day to me..urgh

They said I couldn't wear deodorant, etc...ugh
    This place does not yet have the digital set up, but the woman couldn't tell me much else b/c she hasn't had one yet...she said it's not too bad & is pretty quick..I have to show up 30 min before..yippie...lol
    I always wear deodorant, and wipe it off when I get there. They usually give you wipes (and they should have them, if you ask). Bring your own deo to reapply!

Digital would be awesome. I intend to complain mightily about the medieval equipment still being used at my facility.
    formerly Castella
    Castella...I'm w/ you! I'm not going to be able to stand to not have deodorant on..yuck..

Yeah, the lady I talked to could tell I was disappointed in the fact they didn't have the new equipment, which surprises me, b/c the diagnostic place I'm going to is right by a very reputable hospital in my area. She said they should be getting the new tech soon...who knows?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Yes, I bring wipes with me and that seems to work fine.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I get one a year, sometimes MRIs as well. It's not a big deal. You know when you go to the dentist and they take those annoying bitewing xrays that dig into your palate? It's like that, but doesn't take long. And your
    tatas will not be flattened for life.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    I get one a year, sometimes MRIs as well. It's not a big deal. You know when you go to the dentist and they take those annoying bitewing xrays that dig into your palate? It's like that, but doesn't take long. And your
    tatas will not be flattened for life.
    Well, hubby will appreciate that b/c right now....
    eh, n/m...

:laughing9: :blackeye:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file