What are the benefits of going shampoo-less?

BeLeatherBeLeather Registered Users Posts: 14
someone help a newbie out :)

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Not everyone can go shampooless, but for those of us who can- basically, your hair is healthier because you're not stripping it (and your scalp) of oil. So, it's not as dry. On top of that, shampooing can "ruffle" the hair cuticle, so when you stop using it your hair will retain moisture better.

Even if you can't go completely shampooless, shampooing less often, or using a sulfate-free shampoo, can also have many of the same benefits.

Overall, your hair will be more manageable with less frizz. It can help with definition. Some people also get tighter curls. If you have any scalp issues, those can improve since you aren't irritating it with harsh ingredients.

There may be more benefits, but I'll let the others chime in. :)
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    This is a list of how my hair benefited. The improvement in my hair for all of these isn't just some, but a marked improvement.
    Healthier in general
    less split ends- I used to have a 1/4-1/2 inch of split ends every 8 weeks
    more shine- before there was none
    softer feel- always felt rough before, now my hair feels silky
    way more curls-I started with a fuzzy texture. I couldn't wear my hair curly without diffusing then curling every piece of hair.
    hair color lasts longer (because the shampoo isn't stripping it)
    I know there were more benefits for me, but I can't think of them now.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • BarbarosaBarbarosa Registered Users Posts: 116
    I have tried the CG shampoo-less for about a year. If I use too many products I have to shampoo lightly but only about once every six weeks. I am trying to get my colorist to skip the shampoo before highlighting. He is very resistant. If I let him shampoo it takes three weeks for my hair to recover. No poo is the way to go
  • BarbarosaBarbarosa Registered Users Posts: 116
    I tried honey yesterday with really bad sticky results. What did I do wrong? Had to shampoo and I hate to do that -we all know why.
  • CopaseticCopasetic Registered Users Posts: 222
    The benefits are different for everyone, but for me, going shampoo-less gives me smoother, easier to manage hair.
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    I tried honey yesterday with really bad sticky results. What did I do wrong? Had to shampoo and I hate to do that -we all know why.

How did you use it, and how much did you use? Honey isn't sticky at all if it's properly diluted with water or conditioner.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
    ^ Yeah, if you dilute honey in water and use it that way, then rinse out with warm water, it shouldn't leave any stickiness. It comes off really easily.

These are the benefits I've gained from no-poo:
    - better-defined curls
    - curls that are weather-resistent (they don't poof out or change much in humid weather)
    - softer, "heavier" hair that isn't as flyaway or staticky
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • Mintie411Mintie411 Registered Users Posts: 3
    do fine-haired curlies benefit from going no-poo? I want to maintain lots of volume and i'm afraid going poo-less will make my hair super flat. thoughts?
    Shampoo: CP princess poo, squeaky
    Condish: CP junket creme; CP soulmate for protein
    Styling: CP Curlz gel or KCCC; Korres bamboo creme or Kiehls formula 133 or silk groom; air dry and no color
    Type: 3a or 3b, or Both! Density is medium/thick, texture is fine.
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    I have fine hair and my hair has loved CG overall.

My benefits are very simple and best summed up in picture form:

Before CG (taken about a year ago):
    before.jpg

After CG (taken two months into CG):
    after.jpg
  • CurlyCarrieSCurlyCarrieS Registered Users Posts: 200
    wow
    CG since10/26/09
    Co-wash Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom
    Leave-in Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom (Just a little before adding La Bella Max Hold Plus Volume Styling Gel.)
    Just bought Olive Miracle Leave-in Conditioner to try. I used it to scrunch out the crunch and it smells wonderful. (05Jun2012)
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mabbott09mabbott09 Registered Users Posts: 76
    I've been CG since 2006 :) The many benefits that I've noticed for my hair include :

better curl definition
    huge frizz reduction
    healthier scalp (CG method reduces flaking from dry scalp due to previous overuse of sulfates)
    I can go longer between haircuts now that my damage is mostly gone from when i used to be addicted to all the coloring and hot tools

I also have a lot more time to my self now that i dont straighten my hair 3 to 4 times a week. It usually takes me 45 min at least to straighten and to wear it curly only takes 10 to 15 min or less depending if i diffuse or air dry.
    3a/M/F/ii very porous highlighted. Loves lots and lots of Protein :D

Poo: DC NoPoo, DC lowpoo, KC come clean
    cowash:V05 moisture milks
    Condish: GVPCB, GF Triple Nutrition, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner,Elucence MB condish, TIGI O&H, MM
    Leave in- GF TN
    Stylers: fsg, re:coil, LALSG, G2B spike it, HE mousse
    My hair is loving Coconut oil and FSG!!!
    DT: CJCR, SSDD

On the hunt (again) for the perfect gel
    Looking to get Volume AND Shrinkage

HairTwin wanted:afro:
  • tayamandatayamanda Registered Users Posts: 5
    it was only recently that i discover this no poo method. i immediately took action and just cleanse my hair with only conditioner. my hair is looking healthier and thicker. after reading several positive reviews here, i wished that i knew about it earlier.
  • TrinigirlTrinigirl Registered Users Posts: 159
    I'm a 4a with fine, dry hair. I love CG however I'm considering using ACV for cleansing my hair.

Anyone using ACV while using the condition only method?
    Trinigirl
    Last relaxer 8/20/08 :afro:
    Mostly 4a , fine hair type, low porosity
    Using all natural products
    http://trinigirl4real.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file