Tylenol vs. Motrin

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
Nate is cutting teeth like crazy. I have tried Motrin and he hates it. Gags, spits and then it doesn't even help him. I just tried Tylenol, and be took it like a dream. The jury is still out on how it works. (He is napping, which is a good sign.) We do Hylands and other remedies too, but he was so miserable today and needed rest.

Do your kids do better with one or the other? I prefer Motrin for myself and Harry, so that is why I gave it to Nate. I just never thought he'd have a preference.
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Have you tried Advil? It's the same medication as Motrin - just a different brand. I prefer the Advil or Motrin for when DS was teethng because it seemed to soothe the throbbing that kept him from having a good night's sleep.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Definitely Motrin/Advil...
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
    I liked Motrin better for my kids too. When I wasn't looking their dad would rub a teeny bit of whiskey on their gums. I hated that he did that but it always did the trick. Men...
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• NoraCurlNoraCurl Registered Users Posts: 345
    Well, I'm not a mom, but...
    Do you give him liquid Motrin? If so, try giving it to him in a different flavor and see how he likes it. If he still reacts the same way, then I would stick to Tylenol. Kids have a saying on which medicine they should take, too. I know I'm just a teen, but I've learned that from personal experience and it made my life a lot easier.
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    DS is not allowed to have Motrin except after surgery due to his heart meds, but we never had a problem with Tylenol doing the job.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried Advil? It's the same medication as Motrin - just a different brand. I prefer the Advil or Motrin for when DS was teethng because it seemed to soothe the throbbing that kept him from having a good night's sleep.

I've never seen baby Advil, only Motrin and store brands.

Dylan went through phases where he liked one, but not the other, but it never really lasted.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    If the Tylenol doesn't work, try another flavor of Motrin. Tylenol never helped my daughter, Motrin helped some.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    We use both, and try to do Motrin before bed because it supposedly lasts longer. Sol prefers Tylenol (both the liquid and the tablets) but will do Motrin.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    You really don't want to overdo it with the Tylenol because it can cause liver damage, so if you are finding yourself medicating around the clock, then better to go with Motrin.

Also, Motrin is an 8-hour dose and Tylenol is 4-hour. So like a PP said, in theory, Motrin is better to give overnight.

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Kaia wrote: »

I've never seen baby Advil, only Motrin and store brands.

Dylan went through phases where he liked one, but not the other, but it never really lasted.

It's usually in a blue box. You can see what they look like here:
    http://www.advil.com/childrens/infant/index.asp
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Registered Users Posts: 1,008
    If you give the proper doses Motrin can be given every 6 hours and Tylenol every 4.

Motrin always brings down fevers more effectively than Tylenol (in my opinion).

But Tylenol seems to help with baby pain such as teething.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    NSAIDs (including Motrin) and Tylenol are metabolized along totally different pathways, so it's fine for adults to take them together. I'm not sure about young children, though.

If I have to take OTC pain meds/fever reducers continuously, I alternate doses of Tylenol and Motrin every three hours. That is, first I take Tylenol, three hours later I take Motrin, three hours later I take Tylenol again, and so on. Since each dose lasts six hours, I'm always covered--even when the efficacy of one medication is starting to wear off.

Also, unlike Tylenol, NSAIDs are anti-inflammatory.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    Last winter I had an on call doctor tell me to alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours for Harry when he had a bad ear infection and fever.

Side note: gave Nate Motrin during the day and it was a complete turn around in his mood. Back to his smiley self. Poor little guy was miserable. If I give it to him while he's on the changing table, he takes it better and more gets in.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • kutie02kutie02 Registered Users Posts: 14
    I am a nurse and worked in Pediatrics for a year. So I do have some experience with tylenol and motrin. You can alternate them as needed. And if your sweet boy has a preference of one above the other, then give him that one only. Any luck with teething rings? Good luck and remember that this too shall pass.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file