hard water

curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Connoisseur
Hmm, just scanned through a thread on the general curly hair board on this and wanted to ask: as I'm living in a hard water area, do I have to occasionly shampoo? Or alternatively get a filter? Is there something in the water that definitely builds up?

CG seems to be working well for me so far, so maybe I shouldn't worry before I have a reason to, but just wanted to know. The filter idea isn't a good one for me: I'm about to go off to uni (in another hard water area, typical) and we'll have shared showers.

Thanks!
UK curly, 2C/3A
CG, Tresemme Perfectly Undone, VO5 Firm Styling Gel

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
My fiance, when I was feeling all insecure. He's my curls' biggest fan!

Comments

• curlyFLmomcurlyFLmom Registered Users Posts: 12
    I'd like to know, too!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    3A/3B - Finding my hair loves Aloe! Glad to have a use for it besides sun burns as I have TONS!
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    I have to poo periodically for hard water. If I want my hair to look good I do it with at least low poo daily. A filter would definitely help, you'll just have to share with the others that used the shower I guess
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • missy60missy60 Registered Users Posts: 351
    I have extremely hard water with mineral deposits and I was strictly CO for a while my hair loved it. As long as your hair is doing good on it I wouldnt worry about it. If you start seeing any problems then the first thing I would think about is clarifying. If you color I would also use it before I did that because hard water build up definately effects the color process. If you go to a salon to get color you should tell them they have great products to use to get the build up off before coloring
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    I moved from wonderful slightly soft water to horribly hard water about 2 months ago and I haven't noticed any buildup problems yet. I do a baking soda rinse every other week or so though so that might be helping with it (after I'm done with CO I dump about 2 tbsp of baking soda mixed up in a big bowl with a lot of water over my head, and then rinse under the shower). Mainly what I've noticed I have to do different is add moisture.

I've always been okay with just washing conditioner when I do a CO, but now I seem to require a 2nd conditioning C or else my hair is horribly dry. I'm using a lot more leave in too.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file