Overnight plop - miraculous!

gigilaprofgigilaprof Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Connoisseur
First off, I have to confess that when I heard redcelticcurls say she did an overnight plop, I was like, "you've got to be kidding!" I had tried plopping once for a half hour, and ended up with frizz. So I gave up. Add to that the fact that any time I've fallen asleep on my wet hair, I've woken up with my hair in the shape of any position it was in when I fell asleep (flat side of pillow, towel, you name it). So I was not going to try this! I had images of my hair sticking out straight to the sides like bozo the curly clown.

But hey, I was doing a DT last night and thought I'd give it a try. I figured I'd shower and wet it down in the morning anyway. So I did a CJ DT, then added CJ leave-in, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and BHRG. Actually rolled it into a successful plop in my dh's t-shirt, and went to sleep. I woke up, hesitantly took off the t-shirt expecting crazy hair. But no! Out came perfectly styled hair, with great curls, minimal frizz, and even some height. How did that happen? I can't believe it. I was inspired to do a Fotki so I could put up a picture: http://public.fotki.com/gigilaprof/ (pw: mesocurly). I'll have to put up some others so you can see what my hair looks like on a normal day. Trust me - this is pretty good!

I'd love to hear if anyone else has had great results with this. Thanks RCC! This seriously cuts down on my getting ready time in the morning!
3B, thick/corkscrew. CG since 9-3-06.

Comments

• internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    I wish I could get great curls like that! Everytime I have plopped overnight I wake up looking crazy :?
  • curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Connoisseur
    Pre-CG my hair always looked its best when I went to bed with it wet. It was a little frizzy in the morning but once attacked with my curl-defining cone-full spray it was way better than when air-dried during the day.

Post CG I haven't yet used the right amount of gel and slept on it wet so when that happens I'll let you know if the results are good :) V cool that it worked for you though! And I love your hair: v jealous of all you definitely-curly girls. I'm stuck in the "2C, maybe 3A on a good day" area. Ah well, I suppose at least mine's easier to control!
    UK curly, 2C/3A
    CG, Tresemme Perfectly Undone, VO5 Firm Styling Gel

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
    My fiance, when I was feeling all insecure. He's my curls' biggest fan!
  • DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Registered Users Posts: 93
    Wow! Gorgeous! I'm so jealous. My overnight plop experience was disasterous.
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Your hair looks great! I haven't had the courage to try the overnite plop yet!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Gorgeous!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • snap catsnap cat Registered Users Posts: 72
    I over-nighted once - it was actually my first plopping experience. I got amazingly light bouncy curls in the morning. Unfortunately the product I used the night before had no hold, so I knew they would be gone after a half an hour, plus the curl pattern was totally weird - not mine at all but just how I happened to squish it all on my head :lol:

I think I need to practice this plopping lark 8)
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
    Current likes: Too Shea!, WDT, Curls Milkshake, Re:coil, Curls Spiral Cream, CCSS, - not all at the same time :D
    pw: miaow - updated 2006-10-04
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    umm... WOW! :shock:

Now I'm grumpy b/c my curls NEVER look that good. :?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • RipplesRipples Registered Users Posts: 40
    Bailey422 wrote:
    umm... WOW! :shock:

Now I'm grumpy b/c my curls NEVER look that good. :?

OMG! I totally agree! (By the way Gigilaprof, you and your hair are gorgeous!!)

I tired this once and it actually came out looking pretty good - really made it look short though because all of the curls were soooo curly (can you say Shirley Temple?) :shock: So, of course I had to mess with it to try to elongate them and, uhmm well, let's just say I had to start all over! :roll:
    Karyn

3A/f/ii CG since Aug 17, 2005...HG's: AHC, CK, Re:coil & GFSCC
  • Sleepy OwlSleepy Owl Registered Users Posts: 105
    Wow, beautiful! :!:

I haven't attempted an overnight plop yet. I went to bed with wet hair the other night, which resulted in "hair dreams" all night, and so so hair the next morning. :lol:
    Laura
    2bc f/ii highly porous hair
    CG since Aug '06 ~ (mostly ;) )
    Fotki updated 6-30-09
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Wow, those are some great curls!

I know that sleep plopping sounds goofy, but I like it.

Interestingly, my best hair day evah was by following that exact same product routine and overnight plopping that you used.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paulooly/detail?.dir=64bcre2&.dnm=aa3bre2.jpg&.src=ph

See, I knew we were hair sisters! :lol:

ETA: Oh, the half hour thing makes sense to me. For me, I really can't plop over 20 minutes unless I sleep plop. It's weird. I have to do 10-20 and then diffuse, or I have to sleep plop. Anything in the middle gives me tons of halo frizz. Plop with air drying leaves my hair limp and more stringy. I don't understand it, I just work with it. :):wink:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    Great curls! I myself have not been able to wrap my head around plopping overnight (pardon the pun), but seeing your results, I just might try it someday.
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • gigilaprofgigilaprof Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. And update - I got decent second day hair, too!
    gigilaprof wrote:
    Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. And update - I got decent second day hair, too!

Oh! How did you do that?

• CurlsAuNaturalCurlsAuNatural Registered Users Posts: 43
    BEAUTIFUL!!!! I plop for about 20-30 minutes, but I will definitely give the overnight plop a try!
    Leave-in (when needed): KCKT
    Styler: Modern Elixirs Style Serum (peg cones)
    Gel (when needed): ArcAngell, trying Loreal Melting Gel

protein sensitive, glycerin sensitive, and I don't think I like aloe vera.
    101408.html
  • curlyFLmomcurlyFLmom Registered Users Posts: 12
    I'm going to do it TONIGHT! I am off tomorrow so if I have to start again I can!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    3A/3B - Finding my hair loves Aloe! Glad to have a use for it besides sun burns as I have TONS!
    gigilaprof wrote:

Oh! How did you do that?

Just woke up that way. There was a tiny bit of frizz - I used lavender spray and just a touch of BHRG.

Spent last night in the hospital, so I had to get 3rd day hair out of it, too. That wasn't quite as good, but believe it or not, I got compliments on my curls from all the nurses, even on 3rd day hair!
  • embudiniembudini Registered Users Posts: 580
    I can never get my plopping turban to stay. How do you gt it to stay :?
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
    gigilaprof wrote:
    Just woke up that way. There was a tiny bit of frizz - I used lavender spray and just a touch of BHRG.

Spent last night in the hospital, so I had to get 3rd day hair out of it, too. That wasn't quite as good, but believe it or not, I got compliments on my curls from all the nurses, even on 3rd day hair!

I hope that the hospital stay was nothing serious!

That's cool that you woke up with good second (and third!) day hair. I still can't that one down very well.

• turidturid Registered Users Posts: 11
    I am also curious about how you actually kept your hair in place over night. I tried to plop with a t-shirt overnight once, and I thought it was very difficult to tie it tight enough that it would stay put. Also, my neck felt bad the next day, so I think I will have to find a new technique for plopping with a t-shirt if I ever am to try it again. I gave up in the middle of the night, so the hair didn't turn out very well.
    I'll try to describe how I wrapped my head for the overnight plop: I lay a men's xl t-shirt on the bed, upside down with the short sleeves at the bottom. I wrap the collar edge snugly across my forehead while laying my hair inside the rest of the shirt. Then I roll it up from the top, until the rolled sides reach the sleeves at the bottom. Then I tie the sleeves together in back of my head, at the base of my neck. It has stayed put pretty well. It also gives me some much-needed lift at the top.

It's really hard to visualize and describe - hth!
    gigilaprof wrote:

I hope that the hospital stay was nothing serious!

That's cool that you woke up with good second (and third!) day hair. I still can't that one down very well.

Nothing too serious - Gall-bladder & appendix removed. Just trying to rest up now. Have to admit that my standards for third-day hair were pretty low. I wasn't caring too much how I looked! :shock:
  • turidturid Registered Users Posts: 11
    OK, thanks for the description; it wasn't too hard to understand. :) It sounds like the t-shirt will keep the hair in place that way, but I cannot sleep with a t-shirt knot at the base of my neck; it makes me extremely tense and gives me a headache. :(
    turid wrote:
    OK, thanks for the description; it wasn't too hard to understand. :) It sounds like the t-shirt will keep the hair in place that way, but I cannot sleep with a t-shirt knot at the base of my neck; it makes me extremely tense and gives me a headache. :(

Maybe if you tried a long sleeve T-shirt, the sleeves would be long enough to tie somewhere more comfortable. I'm not sure...

• comfortcomfort Registered Users Posts: 14
    your hair looks fantastic, I'll definately be giving this a go
    thanks
    comfort in Sydney
  • LockeLocke Registered Users Posts: 9
    I tried the overnight plop and it was a desaster. Cotton candy. :shock:

I envy you for whom it works. :wink:
    3 a/b wash with any cone-free conditioner, light gel or condish for styling

I'd rather have my hair a little bit frizzy than producty
  • comfortcomfort Registered Users Posts: 14
    I read all the various instructions for plopping and went for the long sleeved t-shirt( though I did have trouble at first placing the row of buttons in the right place - a sort of granny-style t-shirt, but the only one I had with long sleeves.)

Anyhow it worked a treat, I loved the result. It was not an overnighter, but I got the curls-right down to the roots- that I knew I had in there somewhere.

Thanks everybody for your input about plopping.

Comfort
    comfort in Sydney

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file