CurlTalk

Oil cleansing method (OCM) for skin

Does anyone use this or tried this? I have had bad acne for most of my life and tried most of the store bought products and prescribed medications and my acne continued. Until I googled (much like a googled curly hair and discovered CG) acne solutions and came across the oil cleansing method (OCM).

Here is a good website to explain what OCM is.
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theoilcleansingmethod.com%2F" class="Popup

Right now I use a mix of castor oil, jojoba oil, and tea tree oil. I use it has a cleanser and moisturizer. I do not use anything else to cleanse or moisturize my face

If you use this whats your mixture or if you tried it what were your results?

Let me know if anyone has questions I can recommend so good websites.
2a with medium porosity, medium texture

**Learnin to live and love being natural**

Routine: Not sure yet...

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    There is a ginormous thread on this already. I'll see if I can bump it for ya.

… Didn't bump it, but here is the link.
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I've been doing this for a couple months and love it. I don't have acne or oily skin, though -- my skin is very dry and sensitive. The OCM method is working better for me than anything I've ever tried.

I use 1 part castor oil to 3 parts olive oil for cleansing. During the summer I didn't need an additional moisturizer, but now that it is winter and the air is so dry I am using a moisturizer I make myself -- 1 tsp honey, 2 tsp coconut oil mixed with 1/4 c. aloe vera gel, with a couple drops of lavender EO.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • azcurlyazcurly Posts: 82Registered Users
    I have been doing this for a while. My skin is prone to breakouts but dry at the same time. So I skip the castor oil and just wash with EVOO and then moisture with jojoba oi.
    3b/c ~ CG
    current favorites ~ TJ's Refresh, AOHR, SheaMoisture Shea Butter leave-in, AVG, FSG
  • MochaHunMochaHun Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks for posting this OP, the link was very informative. I even printed it so i can always have it.
    Never let someone else become your priority while you are their option!
    Ok so i'm really excited about the OCM:happy7:. I wasted no time after reading and started my first trial on Friday night, i must say that i've noticed changes already and have only done this two times. This is definately a keeper regimen and will be introducing it to my boyfriend.
    I'll be doing this three times per week, i read in the article someone posted that if done too often ones' face can become dry so to avoid that i'll stick to 3x per wk. I hope to have that clear beautiful supple skin everyone else is already experiencing. Wish me luck ladies!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    CurlyChristine123 how has this been for your acne? I'm trying to get my sister to try this and she gets these terrible eruptions. I love it for my skin, been on it for about 6 months.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    It never worked for me and I did it for over 6 months. I tried EVERYTHING and the only thing that keeps me 100% cyst free is benzoyl peroxide; nobody believes that I have acne.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • MaciMaci Posts: 180Registered Users
    I've only been doing this for about a month and really like it. I mix half grapeseed oil and half jojoba. My skin stays soft, but not greasy. It seems to purge my skin without getting painful cysts. Love it!
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
  • angiekayangiekay Posts: 137Registered Users
    My skin has ALWAYS ALWAYS been so freaking oily, no matter what kind of foundation or what kind of skin care I was using, by mid-morning, my face looks like I could fry an egg with all the grease showing and pouring out of my pores!!!!

I have spent SOOOOO much $$$ in the past on high end skin care, even from a dermatologist I seen awhile back (Obaje skin care, starts at 160 for the starter pak!!!)

Anyways, I've been doing this....I think for at least 3 weeks? I'm just using the basic 75% EVOO and 25% CO.....ONLY at night, and then in the morning shower I just water rinse and use a Marykay sph moisturizer. My skin has NEVER felt better, nor looked better, my tones are evening out, I do not get OILY/GREASY AT ALL during the day, very, very minimal, and I have yet to have any "oil blisters" or break-outs, I can't believe it!

I am SO kicking myself for all these years and all the $$$ I've wasted!!!! Who knew?
  • CurlyCarrieSCurlyCarrieS Posts: 200Registered Users
    I am really looking forward to trying this. I don't want to buy the castor oil online so I am hoping to find it on ground. I forget to look when I am at the store because I am always in a rush.
    Does anyone know if walmart or target have it? I looked online and GNC has jojoba oil.
    CG since10/26/09
    Co-wash Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom
    Leave-in Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom (Just a little before adding La Bella Max Hold Plus Volume Styling Gel.)
    Just bought Olive Miracle Leave-in Conditioner to try. I used it to scrunch out the crunch and it smells wonderful. (05Jun2012)
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You can find castor oil at Walmart or a drugstore in the laxative section. Health food stores like Whole foods also have it.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Posts: 240Registered Users
    I tried this a few months ago, but I probably didn't stick with it long enough. It didn't clear up my skin, but it did make my skin feel divine, so I'd like to start again. I used JBCO and EVOO.

For those who had clearer skin, how long did it take for you to see results?
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
  • kazza186kazza186 Posts: 87Registered Users
    I tried this for awhile, and liked it but still got a few break outs. I think I was doing it too often maybe. How often is everyone doing it? Every day, or just a couple times a week? Im tempted to try again now...
    nz cg
    2a/fine/medium porous/NO elasticity/medium
    co-wash: ???
    rinse-out: ????
    HG combo: Boots curl cream, BB's fsg

http://public.fotki.com/kazza186/
  • CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Posts: 240Registered Users
    I was doing it every day.

What do y'all do on the off-days?
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
    I just did it for the first time last night with castor/EVOO. My face today is not nearly as oily as it normally is. I am tempted to do it again today and again at night but I know I shouldn't. I plan on trying it every night before bed.
    CG since10/26/09
    Leave-in Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom (Just a little before adding La Bella Max Hold Plus Volume Styling Gel.)
    Just bought Olive Miracle Leave-in Conditioner to try. I used it to scrunch out the crunch and it smells wonderful. (05Jun2012)
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrscurlyladymrscurlylady Posts: 87Registered Users
    Hello ladies, here's another link to help with the OCM www.acne.org. I haven't tried it yet, but I've been intrigued by this for quite sometime.
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users
    I've been doing this for months, I can't remember exactly how long. At least six, I think. I use to have dry skin, with acne in places. Now I have almost no acne, maybe one small pimple right before my period. My skin is much less dry, I really only notice dryness when it's really cold out, like -30 or more. I love that I can skip cleansing for a night or two, or three, with no bad effects. I also love that I don't get an oil slick on my forehead halfway through the day anymore :)
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    I've been doing it for nineteen months. Had a dermatologist appointment two weeks after I started (roseaca.) HE noticed the difference and was going to do it to see if it was something to recommend to patients. Felt it was the best my skin had looked in the 10+ years I've been going to him. I do it every night before I go to sleep. I'm older (58) so my mix has less castor oil. I do about 10% castor oil, the majority sunflower with about 5% each of rice bran, apricot kernal and camellia.

Here's a website that might help:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theoilcleansingmethod.com%2F" class="Popup
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    I printed out the information from the link. My skin is normal to dry with occasional acne....I'm definitely going to try this. I have several oils and will do some research to see which would benefit me more. I have castor oil, jojoba, grapeseed, evoo, sweet almond, coconut and macadamia oil. I would also like to get my daughter to try it since she has problems with acne and nothing seems to work.....she has problems mostly on her forehead..her skin is oily to normal. I'm going to do some reading. I'm excited about trying this method! :)
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • generositytgenerosityt Posts: 245Registered Users
    This is very interesting. I'm definitely trying this tonight. can u use a night cream after oil cleansing or not?
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    This is very interesting. I'm definitely trying this tonight. can u use a night cream after oil cleansing or not?

You shouldn't need more moisture after the oil cleanse. But can use anything you want.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »

You shouldn't need more moisture after the oil cleanse. But can use anything you want.

Yeah, I don't think you will need anything.
    I washed two nights then skipped the third night. It is 6pm and my face is not greasy. After only 2 nights!
    I am adding this to my list of things I wish I had known so many years ago.
    CG since10/26/09
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I tried this method this morning since I wasn't going anywhere.....I'm going to wait a couple days before doing it again. I could definitely see it cleared my skin some and opened up some pores. I really hope this works for me.
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    I've been doing OCM for a while now (several months consistently). I use castor oil with jojoba. My skin is dry so I'm doing like 15% castor to 85% jojoba. Leaves my skin so soft and touchable :) I knew I had to try it as soon as I read the description of it because I had the same reaction to the OCM as I did originally to CG (that reaction was: this sounds disgusting and it'll leave my hair/skin a greasy mess!). Thank goodness for an open mind!
    Ive been doing this now for the past two wks and on my first time i did see results like my pores opening up which i used cold water to close them right after, my skin looked brighter and felt softer. It's definately a keeper.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    I started my DD on the OCM last week. Her t-zone is very oily. Lots of blemishes, and so many, big blackheads, and redness. Being that she's 14, and is skeptical about EVERYTHING, I had to do some fancy footwork to get her to even try it. Right after the first treatment, she said her skin felt "okay." No comment the following morning, but the second morning, a different story! We both could see improvement. Redness reduced, acne clearing, and the blackheads shrinking! We couldn't believe it! After the second, treatment, even better. The best yet, friends are asking her what her new acne medicine is. She laughed as she told me how they reacted to the idea that it is oils. She told them, 'no, it's the good kind of oils.'

We're so happy with the OCM. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with it, without you, I wouldn't have known about it.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
    KurlyKae wrote: »
    I started my DD on the OCM last week. Her t-zone is very oily. Lots of blemishes, and so many, big blackheads, and redness. Being that she's 14, and is skeptical about EVERYTHING, I had to do some fancy footwork to get her to even try it. Right after the first treatment, she said her skin felt "okay." No comment the following morning, but the second morning, a different story! We both could see improvement. Redness reduced, acne clearing, and the blackheads shrinking! We couldn't believe it! After the second, treatment, even better. The best yet, friends are asking her what her new acne medicine is. She laughed as she told me how they reacted to the idea that it is oils. She told them, 'no, it's the good kind of oils.'

We're so happy with the OCM. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with it, without you, I wouldn't have known about it.

That's great to hear! I have a 15 year old that I want to get started on this as well. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    curlykey wrote: »
    KurlyKae wrote: »

That's great to hear! I have a 15 year old that I want to get started on this as well. Thanks for sharing. :)

curlykey. Based on our experience (I'm using it too) I say go for it! Just a tip, in case your DD can be resistant as mine can be, I did tell DD that the castor oil is found in the pharmacy aisle at the grocery store. I didn't tell her it's use for constipation!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • CurlyChristine123CurlyChristine123 Posts: 17Registered Users
    CurlyChristine123 how has this been for your acne? I'm trying to get my sister to try this and she gets these terrible eruptions. I love it for my skin, been on it for about 6 months.

It's great as long as I stick to it, I need to do it 3 times a week and my skin is clear and soft which a year ago I would've thought impossible. I was one of those people that scheduled my social life around my breakouts. I hated how I looked and had horrible self esteem. Now I get compliments on my glowing skin. I used to try all the different over the counter creams and they never worked. I like this, its natural and my skin loves it!

• CurlyChristine123CurlyChristine123 Posts: 17Registered Users

I dont, first I just wanted to see what difference the OCM did for my skin alone and then i found I didnt need anything else. I use it as a cleanser and moisturizer.