CurlTalk

Help! I want to start drinking hot tea...

curlykyecurlykye Posts: 430Registered Users
and I need suggestions on what are some of the best teas that would taste good to a first time hot tea drinker.

My obession is with Pepsi and I'm try to take a step back from it a little.

I like ready made iced teas (Lipton Green Iced tea, Peach iced tea mix, raspberry iced tea mix)...so what flavor of iced tea can you suggest that would get the "ball rolling" on adding hot brewed tea into my lifestyle?

(BTW, I both Lipton tea bags in Vanilla Caramel Trouffles because the name just sounded so good but I have no clue if I'll like it :-()
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Relaxer: December 2007
Last Chop of Relaxed Ends/Officially 100% Natural: April 19, 2009

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurlyKye%2F" class="Popup

Join me at www.sparkpeople.com (If you look for me, I'm "KyeIsGettingFit")

Comments

• Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Posts: 268Registered Users
    Well, honestly, I HATE tea--hot or cold (which my family laughs at, because we're in Southern South Carolina). I just do not like the taste of it.

But, if I had a choice, it'd be Lemon or Green Tea. Put lots of sugar in! You might also try hot water with lemon...or just hot water! It's an alternative to hot tea, and it's very healthy as well, plus, if you're sensitive to caffeine, this has none.
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there
  • divamisstdivamisst Posts: 293Registered Users
    I love love love tea!!! If you're just starting out, I would recommend getting some Celestial Seasonings teas--they have tons of different flavors, so you can try them out and see what you like. Some people like to drink the flavored teas without sugar (or with just some honey, which is what I do) because that allows the flavors in the tea to come through. But of course you can always add sugar if you want! They even have chais and green teas, too. Once you figure out what you like, you can move up to brewing your own with loose tea leaves...mmmm soooo good!!
    3b :hello2:
    co-wash: suave naturals coconut conditioner, DB pumpkin seed conditioner
    rinse out: garnier triple nutrition
    leave in: garnier triple nutrition, kckt
    stylers: HETT, AOMM, BRHG, AG Re:Coil, Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets, CJ Curl Fuel, HairVeda CoCasta Shikakai Oil, DB Natural Coils Curling Jelly, DB Coconut & Aloe Moisture Pudding, KCCC.....CHS Curl Keeper (doesn't seem to like the Iowa winter though LOL)
    want to try: EVERYTHING!! (you guys are turning me into a big-time PJ!)
  • curlykyecurlykye Posts: 430Registered Users
    Thanks so much! I went and got the Celestial Seasoning variety/sampler pack so I will definitely keep u posted on how it goes.b:wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Relaxer: December 2007
    Last Chop of Relaxed Ends/Officially 100% Natural: April 19, 2009

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurlyKye%2F" class="Popup

Join me at www.sparkpeople.com (If you look for me, I'm "KyeIsGettingFit")
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    I have a thing against chai's, or a spiced tea. I personally love regular old black tea. Earl Grey is another favorite of mine. Irish breakfast tea is good. But as I said, I like bold teas.

Some lighter teas that are good to get started on are lemon, orange, raspberry, or other fruity teas.

I wouldn't advise ''using a lot of sugar" because that isn't going to change what you're consuming getting off of Pepsi. I use Splenda or Equal in my tea. Coffee I just cannot use an artificial sweetener in. My coffee has to have sugar. But tea I can drink with another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dwaeji-TokkiDwaeji-Tokki Posts: 172Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »
    I have a thing against chai's, or a spiced tea. I personally love regular old black tea. Earl Grey is another favorite of mine. Irish breakfast tea is good. But as I said, I like bold teas.

Some lighter teas that are good to get started on are lemon, orange, raspberry, or other fruity teas.

I wouldn't advise ''using a lot of sugar" because that isn't going to change what you're consuming getting off of Pepsi. I use Splenda or Equal in my tea. Coffee I just cannot use an artificial sweetener in. My coffee has to have sugar. But tea I can drink with another.

I agree with Iroc. I HATE chai tea! Black tea is sooo good.

My favorites are Green Tea, Black Tea and Raspberry tea... I love tea.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Ordinary Tea all the way, no sugar, strong. FULL STOP! . :)
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwalkintowhispers.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    English Breakfast tea, Irish Breakfast tea, Tazo Zen (lemongrass & spearmint) are a few of my favorites.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,234Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Plain old Lipton orange & black pekoe tea is an everyday staple for me, and has been for most of my life. Always sweetened with honey, raw sugar, or splenda.
    I also love rooibos tea. So soft and mellow. A nice evening tea.
    And hibiscus. Kind of citrusy and a gorgeous color.
    Jasmine is another favorite.
    I also dig, dry, and brew my own sassafras tea which is an addiction. Love it.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Stash decaf chocolate hazelnut tea (black tea based)

I do like caffeine in my teas. Harrogates of London Yorkshire Blend or their Irish Breakfast tea are my morning drink of choice.

Guayaki Mate Chocolatte is a nice mate tea.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mlkjmlkj Posts: 8Registered Users
    Flavored or plain green teas, spiced teas, Celestial Seasonings Chamomile or Zinger. Mmm, I do this every morning.
  • geminikissgeminikiss Posts: 87Registered Users
    Mmm hot tea. I like Earl grey. I put a lot of sugar and some milk in it then dip my buttered toast in it. So yummy

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk so there might be a few typos. :)
    3a, normal porosity, fine texture, normal elasticity
    experimenting with:
    co-wash: suave naturals
    rinse-out: tresemme naturals moisturizing conditioner
    other products: nothing yet

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    Depends, are you trying to get away from Pepsi from a sugary standpoint or a caffeine one?

How much pepsi are you drinking? Going straight to fruit or herbal teas will give you a bit of a headache from withdrawing the caffeine. Rooibos also has no caffeine.

I would suggest adding sugar or honey to taste esp since you're switching from a highly sweet beverage. Many herbal and fruit teas are naturally sweet so take a sip first and then sweeten to there. Black tea can be bitter at first and the tannins may take a little getting used to. They'll just make you feel dry at first. Sugar helps with this. I personally LOVE teas and drink a lot of them. Generally fairly sweetened because that's how I like it. Also with some milk in the evenings in my black tea.

Everything else? Just try it. Everyone will have their own preferences. Like I don't like mates at all. Blech. I also hate overly perfumy teas like Earl Grey. My favorites are mint blends.
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users
    Im a huge tea fan. I only drink green tea and white tea. Green with mint or jasmine are really good and I use agave nectar as my sweetner. White is really high in antioxidants, even higher than green, and a really mild flavor. I think you would really enjoy it.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Rooibos tea!!!! It's great
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Huge tea drinker! i love Celestial Seasonings. But also get tea from here:

The Republic of Tea - Leading Purveyor of Premium Teas
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Lifelong tea drinker here too. Right now I'm drinking this, which is my own recipe:

Spicy/sour ginger tea:

2 inches of ginger root cut into chunks
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1 bag of green tea
    lime juice
    honey/brown sugar (optional)

Boil the ginger root and cinnamon sticks in 1 or 2 cups of water, add the green tea bag when the water gets hot. Then add lime juice and sugar/honey to taste.

I also love hibiscus tea, rooiboos, regular old black tea or Earl Grey with sugar & cream, lemon tea, apple/cinnamon tea, or just a few cinnamon sticks boiled in hot water as a tea. I like a lot of the Celestial Seasonings blends also. I have also gotten a lot of fancy international teas from Big Lots for half the price you pay at the grocery store.

For the fruitier teas I usually just add some lime/lemon juice & brown sugar. I drink all my teas with a spoon of sugar in them.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • BrettyUBrettyU Posts: 930Registered Users
    thelio wrote: »
    Huge tea drinker! i love Celestial Seasonings. But also get tea from here:

The Republic of Tea - Leading Purveyor of Premium Teas

+1 republic of tea has a honeydew melon white tea that is to die for!
  • JewelCurlsJewelCurls Posts: 191Registered Users
    I have a friend who sells teas, and she has this amazing rasberry tea that is great hot or iced, and it has stevia leaf in the tea (it is a loose tea, so you need you own bag or strainer). I love it because I can just brew and drink... No adding anything, it is perfectly sweetened. I can't think off the top of my head what the name of her website is (I buy from her directly) but I bet you could find it using a simple google search.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    You can't stop my happiness 'cuz I like the way I am! -Hairspray
    Dangerously open to product suggestion
    3b, thick, angled bob, coarse, low(ish) porosity.
    Favs:
    Poo (when I get buildup): Bumble&Bumble Curly Shampoo
    Lo-poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Cleansing Conditioner
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Prep
    Stylin': Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer for a natural full-bodied look, SheaMoisture Smoothie for finger curls.

• curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    I only drink black tea and green tea. I avoid fruity infusions. As far as I'm concerned if there are no tea leaves in it, it's not tea.

I have black tea usually with milk although Earl Grey is nice without it. Steep as long as you want, until you get the strength you like.

Some black teas are really better without milk.

Don't steep green tea too long or it goes bitter.

Never add sugar (that's just me though). Use a tea pot whenever possible.

I need to put tea bags on my shopping list now.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • apatt4975apatt4975 Posts: 142Registered Users
    I've been trying out teavana herbal teas.

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
  • steveburnssteveburns Posts: 10Registered Users
    just start with any regular tea !!! all Tea is good get in to brands once you are an expert tea drinker :P
  • alijannessalijanness Posts: 5Registered Users
    for me lipton yellow labels are best !!!
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    Head to Teavana! Their SAs are excellent at helping to choose teas. My favorite is Chai Mate - but the flavors and blends are endless. My husband was never a tea drinker, but he loves it now, and so do my kids.
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • parislarueparislarue Posts: 235Registered Users
    Ditto on Teavanna.
    3C .....thru......10Z
    Holy Grail Products:
    KCCC, KT

Nothing exudes confidence like a woman comfortable in her own skin.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2Fparislarue%2Fabout%2F" class="Popup
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    I love chai ... am having a cup of decaf version right now. :)
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    An old spam bumped thread!

I get back into tea this time of year. I'm having Sench Kyoto Cherry Rose.

I'd love an electric kettle. Then I'd always have the correct temperature.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,234Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I was just talking to my trainer about tea the other day. We both love tea of any kind. Cheap generic teabags, loose fancy teas, herbals, mmmm. We both agreed that hibiscus is probably the prettiest tea.

I've watched a British soap opera for over 25 years and for decades everyone on the show heated water in a teapot on the stove. Then a few years ago electric teapots showed up on the countertops. Kind of made me sad.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    If you go to a place like Teavana, they can have suggestions for ones you might like.

I find that if I like the smell of a tea, I like the taste of a tea. So that might be somewhere to start.

Also adding sugar and milk or cream can help if you find it too strong.

Just don't let it sit too long, most teas (green, black, and herbal - esp. fruity ones) get 'tinny' tasting to me.

My faves are English and Irish breakfast, roobios teas, lipton makes a citrus green tea that I really like.
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Since you are used to things that are sweet (as per your Pepsi comment) I would definitely try Rooibos. It's sweet, tastes great and is just as (if not more) beneficial than green tea. Another favorite of mine is Rooibos Chai...if you are looking for that spicy kick
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!