Who's your hair twin and what does she do?

HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
I've been here on NC for over a year now and I still don't think I have one of these. I think there was a very similar thread like this in 3C or here in 4A, but my memory fails me now. Anyways, instead of studying for my exam, I decided that we needed a new thread. So, here's the premise and proposal: Are you tired of wasting money in hopes of finding your HG? Are you tired of spending countless minutes (sometimes an hour or so) trying to get your hair to do "that thing" it did last time? And finally, is there someone on the thread that you wonder what's working for her because you're 99.99% sure it will work for you? Well, look no further because this thread is here to help. Sometimes, despite someone having the same hair type as you, you still have very different hair so, in hopes, of alleviating some of the struggles and frustrations of being natural I created this thread. Now the initial steps could take a moment of your time, but if you utilize it, then it could be a big help to all of us.

Description

1: Post a picture. Maybe 4 at most. A front shot, back shot, a styled shot dry and a shot when it's wet. Hair does crazy stuff during it's drying time and does your curl pattern. This will give everyone a chance to see if you have similarities not only in curl pattern, but behavior.

2: Describe your hair. Now I know everyone knows how to do this, but make sure you include the problems you face with your hair, like is it dry, prone to breakage or tangling, extremely frizzy, needs a lot of hold, etc.

Currently I am:
1: What products are you currently using? Also say what seems to make your hair crazy? Example: If shea butter makes your hair too soft so it loses definition say that.
2: What's your current routine? What do you do on a regular basis? What do you do when you want to be Miss Sassy Pants?

What I want:
1. What products are you eyeballing right now in hopes that they will become your HG? Chances are someone else has already tried it here and if they happen to be your hair twin it can save you time and money.
2. What do you want to add or cut out of your routine? Maybe your hair twin knows something that you don't that can help you get out the house faster in the morning.

When you think you've found your hair twin just say "So and so I think you're my hair twin" or something of that nature and begin your sharing of knowledge.
Okay, whew, that's it. If ya'll know of anything else that could be helpful to list by all means tell me and I'll add it, but I hope this is good for now. I know this is a lot to ask for, but if we use it I see no reason it could be a waste. Plus, I think it will be fun...or maybe I'm just a dork like that. lol.
Hope this helps all of us out.

Heather
Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
Staples
Aphogee 2 Step treatment
Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
Tigi MM Conditioner
Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
KCCC
Denman D3
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
SheaMoisture Leave-in
http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn

Comments

• BelleCoilyBelleCoily Posts: 13Registered Users
    I think that pretty African-American lady who played the coroner/M.E. on Law and Order who used to be Jessica on the soaps (I forget her name).

In case that doesn't help, I think Latinegra is my hair twin on the hair board... But her hair looks waaaaay more under control than mine :wink:
    combination coily: dry/soft coils, kinks and curls
  • Dijah_xoxoDijah_xoxo Posts: 131Registered Users
    my hair twin has a fotki... her name is allie-nicole =] Also, another girl named niyaz (http://public.fotki.com/pelohermoso/) =] :)
  • stormerstormer Posts: 4Registered Users
    this is a fantastic idea. I am sitting here dreading having to go do my hair right now as the last time was largely unsuccessful and TIME-CONSUMING and just plain tiring. But of course previously it was perfect. It's such a hassle and I really want to have a network of people to commiserate and combat this beast with. I will get photos for you. I don't remember what type of hair I have. But it is certainly a diverse combination of types, which likely causes some of the frustration. Do me a favor, won't you? Either refresh my memory as to what the type classification system is or send me a link to where I can find out most accurately and precisely. Thanks.
    according to this chart, I'm 3b (6-9), mostly 7-8. Do you find this link to be in keeping with what you've known to be the classifications?

http://www.blended-beauty.com/Hair_Types_Chart.html
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    Hey storrmer. Glad to have you here and I hope you find tons of good stuff through out all the forums :) This is my first time seeing the blended beauty hair chart, but from my understand and how I've seen people rate their hair around here they just use this http://www.naturallycurly.com/curl411/types.php.

According to this chart most of the girls on the BB site are 3c. I think there are some other issues going on there. However, 3C wasn't part of the original hair line up so maybe that's what she could be getting at. Who knows.

If you have any other questions let any of us know.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
    Thanks for the welcome and the info. I just posted the below message in 3c but will post here as well since there may be some overlapping. Still trying to make it into the shower. Doing that negotiating with myself: "well you could just put it in a pony tail and do it tomorrow, get up really early tomorrow before work." And then on the other shoulder, "If you do it now, you don't have to worry about waking up early tomorrow." Have you ever been there, where you're just that reluctant to do it...anyway, here's my post:

When I stopped straightening my hair, i was referred to rene furterer karite conditioning cream exclusively. And I like it...but it is expensive, especially since I need to use so much since my hair is so thick and (although it feels like it's growing excruciatingly slowly) has indeed, in a year's time, grown.

I need to saturate the hair with conditioner so as not to rip out more hair than is unavoidable, which requires me to use a lot, and the $35 8.6oz container (to my knowledge the largest they offer) comes and goes so quickly I can't stand it. As a result, I try not to condition/rinse my hair as often to try to conserve and save money, but my hair needs to be dealt with more than once a week. It's so hellish at that point. Takes me forever, exhausts me. For example, I'm stalling now, writing this, knowing I should have dealt with my hair an hour or so ago. It shouldn't be this way!!! But back to the topic at hand: can anyone recommend a more economically friendly, but comparable in terms of quality, conditioner for 3C hair? It'd be greatly appreciated...

Any other detangling tips are more than welcome here as well! Thanks.
  • cmw45cmw45 Posts: 4Registered Users
    If anyone thinks they may be my hair twin please hit me up so we can swap info.

HHG,
    C

http://public.fotki.com/cmw45/all_things_hair/
    password: happynappy
  • coilyluv08coilyluv08 Posts: 13Registered Users
    i really want to find one..i think it would be great to have..so if u see similarites holla bak..lol
    now: ALl natural..hair
    chop on june 14, 2006
    Goals:Healthy natural hair...
    type 3c/4a
    Updated on june 17,2005
    Vitamins:hair skin and nails vitamins
    msm, b12
    MTG challenge on dec 28 http://public.fotki.com/honey04/ ps lucky..
  • WendyDarlingWendyDarling Posts: 8Registered Users
    Dijah_xoxo wrote:
    my hair twin has a fotki... her name is allie-nicole =] Also, another girl named niyaz (http://public.fotki.com/pelohermoso/) =] :)

Dijah, I'm Niyaz! Lol! How funny that I just happened to be browsing this particular thread! Are you on BHM? :P
    Hair Stats: 3c/4a...I guess? Thick, medium-coarse texture. Shoulder length - tends to fluff/frizz easily.

Products I <3: Sunsilk Anti-Poof condish, Aura Rosemary Mint shampoo, Fantasia IC sparkelite gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file