What ingredient makes a shampoo tearless? pro's? con's?

Does anyone know about this?

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd guess that a formula is tearless because it has a fairly neutral pH and doesn't contain oils or other ingredients that can irritate eyes. I tried using Johnson and Johnson's Baby Shampoo a year ago, before I went CG (I'm guessing that this is the product you're asking about). I didn't like it. It didn't clean adequately, leaving me with an itchy, flakey scalp, and dry but greasy-looking hair. If you're CG, then using a sulfate-free shampoo should be fine for getting rid of build up.
  • amytugamytug Registered Users Posts: 81
    wait, so Elucence clarifying shampoo would remove buildup? I thought you HAD to wash with sulfates to get rid of buildup. where have I been!? :shock:
    2b/3a - fine but lots of it
    goals- to grow hair to bsl, maybe a tad shorter. to learn to love my hair :S
  • Sleepy OwlSleepy Owl Registered Users Posts: 105
    amytug wrote:
    wait, so Elucence clarifying shampoo would remove buildup? I thought you HAD to wash with sulfates to get rid of buildup. where have I been!? :shock:
    I think it depends on the ingrediants causing the build up...

For example (I might be wrong, but this is what I think I have figured out, someone correct me if I am wrong...)

Amodimethicone can be washed out with out non sulfate shampoos. (But a CO wash won't get them out.)

but Cyclopentasiloxane needs the strength of sulfates to get it out.

Even if you don't use any 'cones at all, you might get some sort of buildup that an occasional shampoo would help with.
    Laura
    2bc f/ii highly porous hair
    CG since Aug '06 ~ (mostly ;) )
    Fotki updated 6-30-09
    Yeah, I meant what Sleepy Owl said :) If you're not using dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, mineral oil, etc., then you probably won't have build up that requires sulfates. But I know that I need to use a regular sulfate clarifying shampoo twice a year or so, just to keep things from getting out of hand. And, if you're not CG, you'll need to use a sulfate shampoo regularly.
  • kellytaylorkellytaylor Registered Users Posts: 5
    This is amazing. Ok, another question I had heard that the ingredient in tearless shampoos actually dried out your hair...so what is the ingredient to look for? i have seen some shampoo's in the healthfood store... I am just not sure what to look for on the ingredient list.
    Well JJ Baby Shampoo has ammonium laureth sulfate or ammonium lauryl sulfate or something. I think it's debated here whether this is more or less drying than sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate. Maybe you should ask laurabeth?
    DP. My computer's being weird...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file