FAM/NFP and Breastfeeding

goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
Just a couple quick questions for my TCOYF experts ;)

A sleeps through the night.. I mean goes to sleep around 10pm and wakes up around 8am, so in reality I am getting the hours of consecutive sleep to chart accurate temps.. right? We are exclusively breastfeeding, but since he sleeps so well through the night (hasn't woken up for a night feeding in over 6 weeks), I don't think I have that 6 month window. But, I haven't had a period yet. So will my temps be accurate (and what about cm -- I know it's wacky from the bf'ing hormones) and can I successfully use FAM to avoid conceiving.. or should we just resign ourselves to having to use back-up methods?

A is 3 months 1 week (as of yesterday).
Poodlehead wrote:
Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Comments

• deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    We used NFP to avoid pregnancy for a year and some and then to conceive right away. I do not practice NFP the first year after pregnancy just mainly due to my fear of getting pregnant that quickly. I will start charting again next month (when DD is 6 months) and then we will stop using backup methods when DD turns a year
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    Once baby starts having more than one 5 hours stretch of sleep in a 24 hour period it's better to have a backup method than to rely on breastfeeding as a contraceptive method.

Before I got my periods but once baby started sleeping I was familiar enough with my body to track cervical fluid and some bodily cues to get a feel for my returning fertility.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Registered Users Posts: 1,559
    I agree, I think that time waiting for ppaf to show up is just too hard to judge when you are ovulating. Esp since you'll probably experience patches of fertile cm, when your body gears up to ovulate (but doesn't quite reach that estrogen threshold to push out an egg). Of course, with temps, you will be able to see a thermal shift and when you know *for sure* that you've ovulated and are no longer seeing fertile cm or low temps, you may be safe to go without backup. Even though you are getting enough sleep and consecutive hours of sleep, your temps may be erratic because of the breastfeeding hormones. GL, it's a little more difficult to do when breastfeeding and waiting for your first post partum af, not quite as cut and dry as a regular cycle, but it can be done if done carefully.
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file