CurlTalk

who is CG, MOD CG, Not CG at all

and can you explain if you are mod or not at all please? Just c urious to see "what" we all are ;)
2b/3a - fine but lots of it
goals- to grow hair to bsl, maybe a tad shorter. to learn to love my hair :S
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    Never tried it. What I have observed from those with my similar hairtype, it doesn't really work that well. I'm total cones and sulfates. Doesn't bother me at all. I come here for the support. Never knew so many wavies and curlies existed in the world. :P
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I'm mod CG I guess. I use low poo or an other gentle cleaser maybe once a week, just because I don't like the feeling of my scalp otherwise. All of my styling products are CG friendly since I cleanse so infrequently. ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I am VERY modified CG. I use a gentle low-sulfate/sulfate-free shampoo about 3 times a week, but I keep my stylers CG friendly. I was strict CG for a couple of months and it did wonders for my hair, but after a while I started getting overconditioned a lot. Now that I use a gentle shampoo, I don't seem to have that problem.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I'm probably about- oh, maybe 98% CG? lol I had to shampoo after accidentally using a conditioner that had cones- which my hair and scalp did NOT like. I've used the sulfate-free poo since then, before coloring and DTing, but really only because it's there, lol. I probably won't bother buying any more poo after that unless I have another unfortunately incident involving something I need to shampoo out...
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • meegsmeegs Posts: 354Registered Users
    I picked the "tried it, not for me, but I use what I've learned" option.

I do CO-wash, and I use sulfate-free shampoo (only occasional sulfate shampoo for clarifying purposes). So I guess I technically am probably a modified CG. But honestly, I never describe myself in those terms. I just do what works for me. A few bits and pieces of the CG rountine happened to be quite helpful, but I don't subscribe to it at all.

So I call myself non-CG even though my routine probably matches a modified CG rountine pretty closely.
    2b-ish--embracing my waves this summer
    Aussie Catch the Wave condish, L'Oreal NutriGloss condish; Nexxus Designing Texxtur Cream, Rusk Radical Creme, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam; coconut oil for DTs
  • IwantcurlyhairIwantcurlyhair Posts: 338Registered Users
    I will occassionally clarify with a gentle sulfate shampoo. I wash my hair once a week with a gentle cleanser. I also use cream stylers fairly often. I've completely modified CG to fit my hair's needs. What CG has taught me... The shampoo's I used to use were very drying and that I used to wash my hair way to often. Also that things that are hard to remove from the hair (like a few silicones, mineral oil, petroleum, etc) can suffocate the hair shaft and prevent moisture from getting in if your cleanser is not harsh enough to remove them.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I voted "eh- tried it, it's not 100% for me, but I use what I've learned" but only because the first option seems so strict. All my stylers and conditioners are CG-friendly. I wash with a sulfate-free cleanser 1-2 times per month, and a clarifying shampoo 1-2 times per year (followed by a DT of course). I consider myself "mostly CG."
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • PlayzwithfirePlayzwithfire Posts: 35Registered Users
    I voted never tried it and don't really wanna cause I have enough rules I follow in every other area of my darn life, lol things may change later on but I am still wearing my hair straight atleast 3x a week and don't ever see giving that up.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I guess it depends since the scope seems to have changed over the years.

I use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-No-Poo-p-465.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-nopoo]DevaCare No-poo[/buylink] once in awhile, and I've used the cones that are in the OneC. I figure if the CG creator is using this stuff, then I guess it's still CG even though it deviates from the book.

I also use a comb in the shower instead of my fingers. I tried it for a couple of months, but I just seem to get better detangling with a wide toothed comb.

I also prefer to diffuse instead of airdry. I don't like having wethead all day.

I have given up sulfates, just using the cleaner in the Low-poo about twice a month. I try to avoid all cones, but will use the CG friendly ones sometimes. I can't use them often since I seem to feel them build up.

I think that CG is a good start for many and has good ideas. I also think that nothing is perfect for everyone, so some will take what they liked and modify - or leave - the rest.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Sleepy OwlSleepy Owl Posts: 105Registered Users
    I didn't vote because the first option is so "perfect" and the third doesn't seem positive at all, just "eh".

I LOVE CG so far, but I think I am also about 98% CG. I did buy a gel with a water soluble 'cone, but don't know if I like it yet anyway. I also use a shampoo with a mild sulfate about once a week (which is ok for my hair according to the CG book.) I did just buy a sulfate free shampoo though. I don't think I will be able to go 100% shampoo free with my hair.

I am so happy with the results so far, I don't think I will be veering too far off track with this. :wink:
    Laura
    2bc f/ii highly porous hair
    CG since Aug '06 ~ (mostly ;) )
    Fotki updated 6-30-09
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    I'm modified. I use a very gentle shampoo and keep my stylers mostly CG-friendly.
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,235Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I've been CG for a little over 1 1/2 years. I voted 100%, tho it makes it sound like something strict with too many rules. I guess I would consider myself a Simplified CGer, not modified. I use very few products and skip lots of the steps in the book. I don't use special towels or heat caps or pillow cases. But I don't use any sulfates or cones, only partially diffuse dry, don't brush or comb my hair, and do DT's and vinegar rinses.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    Tried it and used what I learned!

I shampoo w/ sulfates about once a week, I condition, condition, condition my hair. Sometimes I *think* I don't need conditioner, but I really do. I don't think I ever realized how dry my hair really was even when it looked healthy. I always read the ingredients in what I'm using. I stay away from drying ingredients, and I *prefer* my products to be water soluble, but I am not married to that idea. I don't like to use too many cones, but I don't run screaming from them b/c I do shampoo.

But I'm trying to be more strict with my routine since every time I stray, I end up with disasterous hair!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • embudiniembudini Posts: 580Registered Users
    I dunno... I acutually am CG at the moment without intentionally being CG. See I went CG for a month w/ suave coconut and no poooing strict and it turned out badly. Now I just condish daily with AHC and poo weekly with mop c-system (no sulfates) so I'm CG without really trying to be CG... I'm confused!
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Posts: 93Registered Users
    I tried CG for 2 months and wasn't that happy with it. Now I use a sulfate-free poo two times a week and one of my HGs has amodimethicone. I'm still mostly CG in that I try to avoid most cones.
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    I'm modified for about 2 yrs. Was 100% CG for 2 years before that. Gentle non-sulfate poo 1-2x/wk, CG cond & stylers. I do follow a lot of the styling techniques. And I admit it: I still find it hysterically funny when people freak about amodimethicone, which is in the founder of CG's own products. :lol:

I wonder if Lorraine finds that funny at all, people using her own book to reject her own products. OF course, it would've helped if she'd gone into a more sophisticated explanation about the diff between Frizz Ease style cones ie, (liquid plastic that would rain proof your car) & amodimethicone, which rinses out w/ very little effort.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    I voted "never tried it, don't really wanna" because my current routine is working great for me. My hair has never looked better and I've been getting a lot of compliments. Which in the past was a very rare thing.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    I'm modified for about 2 yrs. Was 100% CG for 2 years before that. Gentle non-sulfate poo 1-2x/wk, CG cond & stylers. I do follow a lot of the styling techniques. And I admit it: I still find it hysterically funny when people freak about amodimethicone, which is in the founder of CG's own products. :lol:

I wonder if Lorraine finds that funny at all, people using her own book to reject her own products. OF course, it would've helped if she'd gone into a more sophisticated explanation about the diff between Frizz Ease style cones ie, (liquid plastic that would rain proof your car) & amodimethicone, which rinses out w/ very little effort.

I think in her original book she was still saying it was bad to use ALL cones. It wasn't until later that she became more educated on silicones and decided amodimethicone was okay to use.

But yes, I too get a chuckle out of that. Some of my other favorites are "I tried CG for a day" or "I am CG, but I still use cones" OR "I am CG but I use a sulfate shampoo daily"

• amytugamytug Posts: 81Registered Users
    Some of my other favorites are "I tried CG for a day" or "I am CG, but I still use cones" OR "I am CG but I use a sulfate shampoo daily"

I've never actually heard those. :lol:
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I voted "eh- tried it, it's not 100% for me, but I use what I've learned" but only because the first option seems so strict. All my stylers and conditioners are CG-friendly. I wash with a sulfate-free cleanser 1-2 times per month, and a clarifying shampoo 1-2 times per year (followed by a DT of course). I consider myself "mostly CG."

This is me too and I voted the same thing. I do use the sulfate free cleanser (usually [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink]) about once every 7-10 days. I usually use it before I do a DT. Other than that all my conditioners and styling products are CG friendly because I choose not to use cones.

I occasionally (very occasionally) have to use a clarifying shampoo because my hair just gets to a point where I can't do anything with it! This past month was one of those times and I clarified with Elucence clarifying shampoo on Saturday, did a DT and my hair has been great again. In fact 3 co-workers said my hair was extra curly and fabulous today and did I do anything different. That made me feel good about using the dreaded sulfate! :lol:
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • curlyteachercurlyteacher Posts: 21Registered Users
    I voted 100% CG but that may be too constrictive because I do use the DevaCurl stuff and there is that H2O soluble -cone. I was given the book about 2 years ago and went strictly CG for several months afterwards. My hair looked great! I fell off the wagon though before I knew about NC.com. I was on again, off again. Now that I have this support it is much easier to be CG. My hair responds really well to all of the principles in the book but I do not do every step- it is time consuming. I also don't use all of the recipes in the book.
    *note: I did shampoo my hair a few weeks ago to get myself started again and strip out some cone buildup. Since then I have been CG other than the Deva products, tee-hee, which have the a-cone.*
    3a/ 2c- this week?!?!? On the quest for perfect curls and a HG ;)
  • FrizzyJenFrizzyJen Posts: 22Registered Users
    I'm not cg, and I haven't tried it. I'm just a rebel like that. :wink:
    3b/c, short now-growing it out
    so many kitty avatars (guano) I wanna kitty avatar, but since I dont have a www I figured I'd let people see what me and my hair look like on my avatar :D
    I guess I could reply to my own post. If there was an option "I dunno, I'm new to it all, it's a bit overwhelming, I'm trying to go too fast cuz I have no patients, so I'm TRYING to be CG but tired of reading labels and finding things that dont work for me" then I'd pick that one :) I TRY to be CG.
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I voted 100% CG because I don't use cones and don't shampoo except very occasionally. I do let my hairstylist use whatever she likes when I get my hair my trimmed so I do get an occasional shampoo with who knows what kind of ingredients but I don't think my hair is so fragile that the occasional shampoo or non CG styling product is going to be a problem for me. She's aware of my aversion to 'cones and does try to minimize her styling...I generally leave with my hair still wet.

I guess the area where I am less than CG is my hairstyle which is currently very short and strategically thinned with shears.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I didn't see a pick for "modified CG". That's what I do. Shampoo freguency is now every 3-4 weeks. No cones so far.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Leilani42Leilani42 Posts: 200Registered Users
    I was strictly CG for nearly a year, but I'm back to using shampoo. I might try going pooless again, to see if it helps my short hair curl up more. I use my new favorite shampoo in the universe, Elucence MBS.

What CG really did for me was open my eyes to what is actually in the products I use. I make sure that proteins are followed by lots of moisturizing, and I try to avoid cones because they make my hair look like crap. So, yep, I'm sticking with my vote of "eh, I tried it, it's not 100% for me, but I use what I've learned." I definitely do use what I've learned.

Ha ha... I love the "I tried CG for a day, and it didn't work for me" comments. Like, yeah... that's what CG is. What you actually did was skip shampooing for a day. That's like saying "I was vegan for a day" if you skipped a burger for lunch. :D
    2c/3a-M-i
    modified CG since July 2004.
    searching for products that work...
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I am CG but I use a non sulfate shampoo and cone free conditioner before I flat iron. I don't know why..
    3b-3c CG
    Leilani42 wrote:
    Ha ha... I love the "I tried CG for a day, and it didn't work for me" comments. Like, yeah... that's what CG is. What you actually did was skip shampooing for a day. That's like saying "I was vegan for a day" if you skipped a burger for lunch. :D

LMAO!!!! I may have to use this in my sig line!

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Never tried it. What I have observed from those with my similar hairtype, it doesn't really work that well. I'm total cones and sulfates. Doesn't bother me at all. I come here for the support. Never knew so many wavies and curlies existed in the world. :P

Ditto!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock: