Retin-A in the winter

LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
I have used Retin-A for 17 years, but as I get older, my skin cannot tolerate it like it used to. Even using the RA every few days, I get dry, flaky skin, and peel terribly. My skin is sensitive to certain ingredients and I have a difficult time finding a moisturizer that doesn't make me break out of top of being dry.

Do you think if I use RA once a week it will do anything? Or would using a salicylic acid instead of RA be beneficial? Or should I ask my dermatologist about Renova? I originally used RA for acne but now I use it for wrinkles. :wink:
Loose botticelli curls and waves
No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    How about just .1% or .3% retinol instead of Retin-A? I'm using .3% now (from MUAC),and so far I've still been OK using it at least every other day, although it's already been about as cold as it usually ever gets here.

Salicylic acid just makes me peel and flake continuously - I always thought if I could just stick with it a while, it'd eventually quit, but it never did.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    Oops, I meant retinol, not salicylic acid. :oops: I was thinking of trying one of the PSF ones.
    Don't know about PSF, but you can get little sample bottles of MUAC's - lasted me a couple of weeks until I could see how my skin reacted.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    You could try a lower dose, or less frequent application, or switch to Renova. OTC retinol is a waste of time and money, because it does nothing for the skin. Once-a-week of Retin-A (or even once-a-month) is better than every-day of retinol.

I have to use a copper peptide after my Retin-A application in the winter, otherwise I get the same dreadful peeling you are describing. But with the CP, I'm fine. I use Super CP Serum that I get at www.DianaYvonne.com. I buy a 4-ounce bottle for $50 and it lasts me all year.
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    OTC retinol is a waste of time and money, because it does nothing for the skin.

That's not true for everyone. I don't really have much in the way of wrinkles, but the fine lines under my eyes look much better due to retinol -- I can barely see them now. I'm not doing anything else different, so I know the retinol is responsible.

Also, when I started using retinol (0.5 percent at first; now I'm transitioning to 1 percent), my clogged pores looked much cleaner and smaller almost right away.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    alacurl wrote: »

That's not true for everyone. I don't really have much in the way of wrinkles, but the fine lines under my eyes look much better due to retinol -- I can barely see them now. I'm not doing anything else different, so I know the retinol is responsible.

Also, when I started using retinol (0.5 percent at first; now I'm transitioning to 1 percent), my clogged pores looked much cleaner and smaller almost right away.

Your skin probably does appear better. The OTC retinol you're using is probably a nice, agreeable moisturizer for you. Scientifically, though, it's not doing anything for wrinkles. There is no such thing as 0.5 or 1% retinol...there is no standardized measurement for retinol like there is for tretinoin (Retin-A). Different manufacturers can call it whatever they like. I suspect some call it 0.5 or 1% to mimic Retin-A. But there is no equivalency between them.
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    I've read that Philosophy offers a much milder version of Retin-A that people enjoy very much

You may want to look into it sometime :)
    http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/prod_on-a-clear-day-retinol-clarifying-lotion____14063_23503_79844
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    alacurl wrote: »

Your skin probably does appear better. The OTC retinol you're using is probably a nice, agreeable moisturizer for you. Scientifically, though, it's not doing anything for wrinkles. There is no such thing as 0.5 or 1% retinol...there is no standardized measurement for retinol like there is for tretinoin (Retin-A). Different manufacturers can call it whatever they like. I suspect some call it 0.5 or 1% to mimic Retin-A. But there is no equivalency between them.

Yes, I understand retinol is not as effective as Retin A. But your blanket statement that retinol "does nothing" is not true. It's not just my imagination, lol. From Archives of Dermatology (May 2007), a peer-reviewed medical journal:

Retinol lotion reduces the fine wrinkles from natural aging of skin, University of Michigan study finds: http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2007/retinol.htm

"Wrinkles, roughness and overall aging severity were all significantly reduced in the retinol-treated arm compared with the control arm, according to the study."
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    breezybaby wrote: »
    I've read that Philosophy offers a much milder version of Retin-A that people enjoy very much

You may want to look into it sometime :)
    http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/prod_on-a-clear-day-retinol-clarifying-lotion____14063_23503_79844

It's still "just" retinol, what RCW is pooh-poohing, and it doesn't even indicate its percentage.

Sorry, but I have to agree w/alacurl. After my own dermatologist recommended retinol, I read up on it before ever trying it. Like alacurl, there's a discernible difference in both my face and in my decolletage, forearms and hands since using it - it's the only thing I've used on forearms and hands, besides the plain old lotion I was already using. I didn't see much results from the .1% and quickly moved up to .3%.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    I have used Retin-A for 17 years, but as I get older, my skin cannot tolerate it like it used to. Even using the RA every few days, I get dry, flaky skin, and peel terribly. My skin is sensitive to certain ingredients and I have a difficult time finding a moisturizer that doesn't make me break out of top of being dry.

Do you think if I use RA once a week it will do anything? Or would using a salicylic acid instead of RA be beneficial? Or should I ask my dermatologist about Renova? I originally used RA for acne but now I use it for wrinkles. :wink:

Are you using RA gel or cream? I switched to the cream and get less peeling with that. I use it daily in the warmer months, but need to cut it back to 2 - 3 times a week in the winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    to fight acne retin-a and diffrin (sp) didn't seem to work for me. a dermatologist almost 2 yrs ago prescribed tazorac. now that works! i use the cream version. you can look it up on web md. maybe that will be more agreeable to your skin. an aesthetician once told me to use tazorac (retinoids) every other day so i get exfoliation sans the peeling. my derm said i was better off cutting back on other peels and cleansers and using the retinoid daily if i could. i use tazorac most nights, if i skip a night no biggie and i use salicylic acid (5% or 2% psf brand) most days but again if i skip a day no biggie. i use aveeno positively radiant spf 30 and my skin is doing pretty good thiese days.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I use the RA cream and Copper Peptides. I think my skin is just uber-sensitive. My derm has commented on it previously. I have an appointment for something next week and I'll ask what she suggests.

As of now, I've decided to try using the RA twice a week and see if that helps without the nasty side effects.
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    as I get older, my skin cannot tolerate it like it used to. Even using the RA every few days, I get dry, flaky skin, and peel terribly. My skin is sensitive to certain ingredients and I have a difficult time finding a moisturizer that doesn't make me break out of top of being dry.
    This was me, except I had only been using RA for about a year and a half. For the first 6 or 9 months, my face improved so much. Then, it just got too irritated. My doc prescribed metrogel. Even though I don't have any classic rosacea symptoms, it has helped a great deal for the 3 months I've been using it. BTW, I'm 52.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    Ugh, I'm 53 and find Metrogel very irritating and only use it when I have to for roseacea, which is very rarely, thankfully. I also have seborrheic dermatitis, though, so that may make it more irritating than for some people.

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file