Anyone Use a Postpartum Belly Band?

CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
I'm already thinking about getting back into shape after baby is born. I'm a little older now, so I fear it may be that much more difficult. I've heard that many women wear girdles or some such after to help get their tummies back in shape. Anyone try that? If so, how did it work?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I'm not sure if it helped to get me back into shape but it helped me get back into my clothes. :) It also helped with back support and cut back on aches.
  • RheannaRheanna Registered Users Posts: 2,614
    I think I need one. Not that that answers your question, but I'm anxiously awaiting answers to this too. :)
    DPTFm5.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    i used one and it definitely didnt help me get back into shape, but like speckla mentioned, it did help me stuff my stretched out belly into clothes.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    I had a c-section and the hospital rolled me into it almost immediately after birth. I wore it for about a week. My surgeon said that wearing it longer would cause problems because I would rely on it too much. I didn't really believe that but found it rather uncomfortable.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    If girdles actually worked to get your waistline back post-partum, it would be more well-documented, rather than just passed around by word of mouth. They don't work, nor are they very good for your back if you wear them often, as girdles actually weaken abdominal muscles, rather than strengthen them.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    There's the Mummy Tummy book (I forget exactly what it's called, but you can find it at Amazon) and it has some recommendations on using a belly band and some exercises. I know a lot of people who had success with it.
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
    I'm certainly not looking for an easy way back, but I definitely wouldn't mind it being easier. I was hoping these Belly Band things might have been the answer. the makers/sellers of course lead one to believe they are the end all be all, but I can't trust them!

• marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    belly binding (the original belly binding precursor to the hip belly bands, et al) is more about supporting the abdominal wall and allowing the separation to heal before attempting to strain that area. Otherwise you risk having a diastasis issue. It has nothing to do with the skin and fat around the stomach area so it's not about getting back to prebaby looks, just a muscular issue. I did a bit of belly binding after N's birth and it really helped support a weakened area and although I've never had a six pack or aspire to have one, helped my abdominal wall return to a normal position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file