I need recipe for apple betty/apple crisp

Summer91Summer91 Registered Users Posts: 265
One that has a really crunchy top. Anyone have one?

Comments

• mazeymazey Registered Users Posts: 709
    Try this one from Epicurious.com

Apple Betty

I made it a few weeks ago and it turned out very good!

Edited to add: if the link doesn't work, go to www.epicurious.com and type "apple betty squares" in the recipe search.

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: mazey ]
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Here's one from the Minimalist column in the times. I made it last week and it was easy and good. Especially if you have a food processor, it is a joke. I used a little over 2 lbs of Cortland apples, and I used pecans rather than walnuts. I also tossed a generous handful of dried cranberries into the apple mix before baking. It would be just as good without, or you can toss in some raisins instead, I would imagine. I used a 9" round pyrex pie dish. I made the topping according to the recipe, and did not have quite enough to cover the apples, so I ended up making an additional half-recipe of the topping.

Time: about 1 hour

6 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples or ripe pears, 2 to 3 pounds
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
    5 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing the pan
    3/4 cup oats
    1/2 cup walnuts or pecans.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss the fruit with half the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and spread it in a lightly buttered 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.

2. Combine the remaining cinnamon and sugar in the container of a food processor with the oats and nuts; pulse a few times, just until the ingredients are combined (you do not want to puree the oats). To mix the ingredients by hand, soften the butter slightly, toss together the dry ingredients, then work in the butter with your fingertips, a pastry blender, or a fork.

3. Spread the topping over the apples and bake about 40 minutes, until the topping is browned and the apples are tender. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file