CurlTalk

cowashing & dry hair

Okay, I'm confused. i was always told washing every day was bad for you, but is that only with shampoo? I don't use it anymore, and cowash twice a week, but my hair is still somewhat dry.

Can I remedy said situation by cowashing three or more times a week, or simply by leaving a lot of conditioner in my hair when I'm done?

I use either suave or white rain or other brands like that. cant for the life of meremember the name of the other one i use, vo5 or something.

Comments

• RealRedNCurlyRealRedNCurly Posts: 109Registered Users
    From afar, your hair looks very similar to mine, though not as curly. Love it. :) I've always needed tons of moisture in my hair. Leaving in conditioner works well for me. You may also benefit from deep conditioning-alone or with added honey.
    Live Joyfully! :love5:

Empowered Living & Health Tips
  • coscasscoscass Posts: 90Registered Users
    From afar, your hair looks very similar to mine, though not as curly. Love it. :) I've always needed tons of moisture in my hair. Leaving in conditioner works well for me. You may also benefit from deep conditioning-alone or with added honey.

Thanks. :) Yeah, I started leaving in condish and I like the results. But I see a LOT of people cowashing  4-5 times a week, some even every day. How do I know what’s right for me?

I also do DT with honey every once in a while.
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    coscass wrote: »
    Okay, I'm confused. i was always told washing every day was bad for you, but is that only with shampoo? I don't use it anymore, and cowash twice a week, but my hair is still somewhat dry.

Can I remedy said situation by cowashing three or more times a week, or simply by leaving a lot of conditioner in my hair when I'm done?

I use either suave or white rain or other brands like that. cant for the life of meremember the name of the other one i use, vo5 or something.

I co-wash every day with no problems. I do use a thicker, more moisturizing conditioner as a rinse out. Now that it's been colder, I've been using more leave-in than I do in the summer. HTH.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • peaches1975peaches1975 Posts: 211Registered Users
    curlykey wrote: »
    coscass wrote: »

I co-wash every day with no problems. I do use a thicker, more moisturizing conditioner as a rinse out. Now that it's been colder, I've been using more leave-in than I do in the summer. HTH.

Ditto!

Also, check out DEL2C's Spritz & Condish method. My hair gets drier as the day(s) go on, and this method helped restore my hair.
    2aFii, low porosity, :love4: protein!
    Color treated (blonde, but darned grays!)
    COwash: Suave, V05, Salon Care Honey Almond
    CO: GVPCB, LVNPG, GFTN, HSH Pumpkin, Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    DTs: Lustrasilk SM, GVPCB
    PTs: Aphogee 2-step, ION Effective Care inbetween
    LIs/Stylers: Any of my COs, FSG, EcoStyler Krystal, LOOC, shea butter to SOTC

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeaches1975%2F" class="Popup
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    The detergent in the shampoos are what dries your hair thus the recommendation for not shampoo'ing daily.

Sounds like co-washing with Suave/Vo5 isn't enough moisture for your hair.
    Wash your hair just like you would with shampoo but use the Suave/Vo5 instead of shampoo. Next, apply a more moisturizing conditioner and rinse out.
    I always apply a small amount as a leave-in then apply styling products over that.
    HTH