Lip primers/clear liners?

battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
I have this fabulous NARS gloss that I just got (Bad Education) that is the perfect subtle red shade. But it feathers like crazy! I don't want to wear regular liner under it because part of it's beauty is it's sheerness.

Any suggestions on what to do to keep it on my lips and prevent it from feathering? Do any of those clear lip liners really work? I saw a Paula Begoun clip where she mentioned that they don't work well and that she has only found a few lip primers that actually work, but she didn't say what they were.

Thanks!
Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

Claim to fame - Inventor of plopping when it was called "the towel trick"!!

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i wear a lip liner that exactly matches my lips with everything - Sephora House Brand in shade 114.

that way i never have to worry about matching a lip colour.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I have a Du*** clear liner. I'm not prone to feathering, so I can't say whether it would help with that, but I think it might help keep gloss.....visible longer.

Not sure, though. I probably won't repurchase it.

eta: Oh! censored. The brand is Duw.o.p.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Apply foundation or concealer to (and slightly around) your lips. Then lightly dust on some powder if you have it. Your gloss will be less prone to feathering if you do that first.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Yep, the best thing is a heavy-ish oil based concealer, but make sure you blend it out.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
    um... ^^^i think doing THAT would be sure to give you a lot of those annoying tiny pimples along the lip line!
    My blog:

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Paula Begoun's got her own product (of course). I've never tried it, but here's the link: http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/long-lasting-anti-feather-lipliner/Eyes-and-Lips
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    um... ^^^i think doing THAT would be sure to give you a lot of those annoying tiny pimples along the lip line!
    No more than it would if you use it on the rest of your face.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Phoenix wrote: »
    rouquinne wrote: »
    No more than it would if you use it on the rest of your face.

Exactly, and if you're prone to pimples there, wearing lipstick/gloss isn't going to help either...
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for all the responses, ladies! I went ahead and ordered the Paula Begoun clear liner and picked up the DuW.op one from Sephora last night - I have it on today, and so far so good. Tiny bit of feathering happening a few hours after applying the gloss, which isn't too bad. DuW.op also has a reverse eyeliner that I'm considering - I have terrible trouble with the liner on my bottom lid melting down.

Thanks!
    Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

battah wrote: »
    I have terrible trouble with the liner on my bottom lid melting down.

me too!

i use my Benefit Lemon Aid there - applied with a concealer brush. it really helps.
    My blog:

• battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    Well, I'm using the DuWo.p reverse lipliner today, and I must say it's fabulous. When I used it just around my lips, I still saw a bit of bleeding, but then I tried lining around and just inside my lipline with it, and my gloss hasn't budged. This is really good stuff!

I'm curious to try the reverse eyeliner, though it got much worse reviews on sephora.com than the reverse lipliner.

• SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    +1 here for the Duw.o.p reverse lip liner. I love that it's clear and it's sort of a soft crayon consistency -- seems to be more moisturizing for my lips without greasiness around the lip line. I apply it all over my lips, not just for lining -- helps my lipstick last a little longer.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file