should've gotten things ready sooner.....

deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
Went to OB today.. and now according to my measurements I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead of schedule (which puts me right in the Christmas/New Year's area) instead of at the end of the month....

I asked her if I could've screwed up the date of my LMP and maybe thrown the whole due date off.. she said no because usually the U/S will confirm a round about due date so I was most likely not that far off..

I passed my 3 hour Glucose Test (sorry I didn't get to post that sooner) so I am excited about that) but she is still calling the baby macrosomia (which I looked up means large baby)

I asked her about induction but she stated she wanted to hold off for now because I have another U/S next Friday which will confirm approx size (give or take) and then my next OB appointment in the 21st... and then she will check my cervix (which I think even based on other topics is a good idea.. at least once) then a call will be made...

I am the biggest wuss so for me a induction would be ideal since I am afraid of going into labor at home and water breaking at home... (yeah insert laugh here) and would feel more comfy if everything was done for me....in the comfort of the hospital maternity ward... the only downside with going early (prior to the 8th of January) is that my favorite OB is on vacation till then and won't be in the US so I'll have someone else.. all the OB's are nice but I really love the one that delivered Liam... Oh well...

who knows I may be jumping the gun on all aspects of this...

the funny thing is that my folks and hubby's folks are scheduled to come in for Christmas.. so they may witness to another gift!!! the upside is that Liam will have plenty of folks to watch him should that be necessary...

I told hubby that we really got to put our buts in gear and get the rest of the stuff this weekend and at least be prepared....

sorry I rambled .. just the shock of it all has got me nervous!!!
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    Exciting! Keep in mind that measurements at this stage (U/S or otherwise) can be way off. Mine were with both my boys late in the game. Nate was measuring big, but ended up being REALLY bigger than they thought. Same with Harry. It can go the other way too.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    You should know that both the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Academy of Family Physicians do NOT recommend induction for suspected macrosomia.

ACOG recommends that if you do need to schedule an induction for non-medical reasons (like suspected macrosomia) then it should be after 39 weeks.

I don't know when the docs were thinking of doing it but at 36 weeks the baby is not even considered full term. There are valid reasons to induce at 36 weeks, like clotting disorders, eclampsia, etc. "he's measuring big" and "I am a wuss" are not good reasons to induce a pre-term baby and expose him to the possibility of developmental delays and/or health problems that late-term preemies can face.

That said, if you are considering an induction then that is one of the few valid reasons to have a cervical exam. Your Bishop 's score is an excellent predictor of the chances of a successful induction, and you need an exam to get the score.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    I know.. that's why she doesn't want to induce.. at least not yet.... I am more of the person who wanted it....

thanks for your imput though

d
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,904
    deedles wrote: »
    I know.. that's why she doesn't want to induce.. at least not yet.... I am more of the person who wanted it....

thanks for your imput though

d

Trust me, you probably not going to want it.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    Also to add...you said you are a wuss...induction SUCKS. I would much rather go into labor at home then have to go through that again.

I have said it before. I barely made it to 3 cm's before I was in intense pain with DS...I was at 8 and was having mild contractions with DD. I will never ever be induced again unless it is a medical emergency after that.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,904
    deezee02 wrote: »
    Also to add...you said you are a wuss...induction SUCKS. I would much rather go into labor at home then have to go through that again.

I have said it before. I barely made it to 3 cm's before I was in intense pain with DS...I was at 8 and was having mild contractions with DD. I will never ever be induced again unless it is a medical emergency after that.

Oh yeah. My water broke at home at 36.5 weeks on Mayb 28th. I had a cerclage, so I had to get the hospital to get it out. That was taken out at 12 am May 29th. I was induced 6 hours later since I hadn't progressed at all. She was born at 2:57 am on the 30th. I truly believe that I could have made it without an epidural if I hadn't been induced. Those contractions were so strong and they were on top of one another. I couldn't get my breath between them.

Voluntary induction without medical cause isn't the way to go if you are a wuss.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote: »
    You should know that both the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Academy of Family Physicians do NOT recommend induction for suspected macrosomia.

ACOG recommends that if you do need to schedule an induction for non-medical reasons (like suspected macrosomia) then it should be after 39 weeks.

I don't know when the docs were thinking of doing it but at 36 weeks the baby is not even considered full term. There are valid reasons to induce at 36 weeks, like clotting disorders, eclampsia, etc. "he's measuring big" and "I am a wuss" are not good reasons to induce a pre-term baby and expose him to the possibility of developmental delays and/or health problems that late-term preemies can face.

That said, if you are considering an induction then that is one of the few valid reasons to have a cervical exam. Your Bishop 's score is an excellent predictor of the chances of a successful induction, and you need an exam to get the score.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This!!!

Induction is NOT for wusses. It's much harder than normal labor and generally causes more problems than it solves.
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    On Tuesday early evening around 6pm when the midwife called the back-up OB and he asked that I be transferred for pit (I had been laboring since 3am Monday am, and pushing since around 1pm Tuesday when my contractions died down to 7-10min apart), I cried my eyes out and begged not to be transferred. I was very scared of the pit -- and reasonably so, the babe didn't tolerate it one bit -- talk about being scared is hearing your unborn babe's heartbeat dipping down due to the artificial drug you're being given.

I would encourage you to further research induction yourself and then truly decide if you believe it would be best for you and your family.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    goldy wrote: »
    On Tuesday early evening around 6pm when the midwife called the back-up OB and he asked that I be transferred for pit (I had been laboring since 3am Monday am, and pushing since around 1pm Tuesday when my contractions died down to 7-10min apart), I cried my eyes out and begged not to be transferred. I was very scared of the pit -- and reasonably so, the babe didn't tolerate it one bit -- talk about being scared is hearing your unborn babe's heartbeat dipping down due to the artificial drug you're being given.

I would encourage you to further research induction yourself and then truly decide if you believe it would be best for you and your family.

Cosigning every single word.
    ummm.. I had one with Liam and yes even though contractions came on fast it was fine with me and I had no real issues.... that's why I thought it may be an idea to approach.. but maybe I should do more research

I guess I don't have enough faith in myself to handle some of the labor at home I'm not as brave as some of you seem to be...

d
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    goldy, if you don't mind me asking & I don't remember if you said, but was wondering if you ended up having a c-section...

try not to worry, deedles!
    goldy, if you don't mind me asking & I don't remember if you said, but was wondering if you ended up having a c-section...

No I was hell bent on pushing that babe out.. but I beat the odds.
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    ummm.. I had one with Liam and yes even though contractions came on fast it was fine with me and I had no real issues.... that's why I thought it may be an idea to approach.. but maybe I should do more research

I guess I don't have enough faith in myself to handle some of the labor at home I'm not as brave as some of you seem to be...

d

Do some research, and tell yourself you can do it. You want a VBAC, right? It's ok (and perfectly normal) to be scared, but don't scare yourself out of trying. Labor is hard, but it ends at some point. It's manageable, even though it can feel like it isn't. I had one induction with pit, one with cervadil (that was actually an augmentation that I agreed to because of a potential issue with my full term baby), and I dug my heels in and refused an induction the third time. I'm pretty resilient and tolerant of pain (I drove myself to the hospital 45 minutes at 2 am in labor with Aidan), but I could not handle pit contractions without an epidural. It took me 3 hours to push my pit baby out; I pushed out my other 2 in less than 5 minutes: I'm sure the epidural had something to do with it. It took me 4 years to have another baby after that because I was scared of repeating that traumatic experience, but after I had my second baby, I felt like I could easily do it again. If I had a fourth baby (which I probably won't unless I can stay home, another thread entirely :) ), I will probaby have a home birth because my experience has taught me that in a healthy pregnancy, the fewer medical interventions, the better.
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    Deedles you can do this. You are one strong woman. You've taken care of arming yourself with tools to assure success with breastfeeding this time. You have the drive, you can do the same with labor.

My sis has had three induced labors and when we compare notes (in a pretty sisterly not competitive way) I'll fully bow down to her putting up with three pit labors. They are definitely back to back contractions that your body won't tolerate well. With a non pit birth you'll get breathing time between contractions to recuperate. Also those non pit contractions will move baby down with no distress like goldy mentioned.

The hardest part of labor is transition and an experienced caregiver (OB, midwife, etc.) will recognize you hitting transition and remind you that you are almost at the finish line. It's not too late to find a doula. A doula can stand in and be level headed when even a laboring woman and spouse cannot. Look up DONA, ALACE or CAPPA or even talk to someone at your local LLL and ask for recs. Some doulas are looking for certification births that they must do at low or no cost. It would definitely be worth it to have someone on your side that not only encourages you but is also experienced in using their hands and tools to alleviate the intensity of certain labors.

You are not a wuss, your body knows what to do and you've already done it once. Hang in there.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

d

I guess I don't understand. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with an induction? A smaller baby? It won't make a difference in terms of delivery, because macrosomic babies are just fatter, not larger. Fat squishes, so they are no more difficult to deliver than an average-sized baby. Inductions shouldn't be done for non-medical reasons. ACOG has stated emphatically that macrosomia alone is not a legitimate indication to induce.

What are you afraid of about going into spontaneous labor at home? That you won't make it to the hospital on time? Chances of that happening are slim to none. Too much pain? Spontaneous labor is nothing like induced labor...it comes on gradually, not like a freight train.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Good luck whatever happens!

Just want to let you know that I was measuring ahead by a month with DS and he was born on his due date, normal sized (well, a tad big at 9 lbs).

With DD I was measuring behind most of the pregnancy and she was born 3 weeks early (at a good size for 37 weeks).

So in my limitied experience, predicted baby size and "dates" don't mean anything.

[
    I guess I don't understand. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with an induction? A smaller baby? It won't make a difference in terms of delivery, because macrosomic babies are just fatter, not larger. Fat squishes, so they are no more difficult to deliver than an average-sized baby. Inductions shouldn't be done for non-medical reasons. ACOG has stated emphatically that macrosomia alone is not a legitimate indication to induce.

What are you afraid of about going into spontaneous labor at home? That you won't make it to the hospital on time? Chances of that happening are slim to none. Too much pain? Spontaneous labor is nothing like induced labor...it comes on gradually, not like a freight train.

fyi - for cosmicfly I am not having a VBAC my first was a normal vaginal delivery w/induction....

and yes I am afraid of going into labor at home...is that such a bad thing? For me it would be more stressful since I don't have alot of family who live near by and since I have a toddler I need to keep in mind someone has to come and take care of him esp. if its in the middle of the night... I am a person who likes to have things mapped out and organized.

oh and I don't care about having a small baby, big baby, tall baby, short baby I just want a healthy baby.. so induction or not I will make sure that happens!!!
    Good luck whatever happens!

Just want to let you know that I was measuring ahead by a month with DS and he was born on his due date, normal sized (well, a tad big at 9 lbs).

With DD I was measuring behind most of the pregnancy and she was born 3 weeks early (at a good size for 37 weeks).

So in my limitied experience, predicted baby size and "dates" don't mean anything.

I meant to mention this as well. Aidan, my almost 42 week baby, was 'very large' according to measurements. Yeah. He was a very skinny 7 lb., 1 oz. His daddy's first reaction was "I don't know, J, he's pretty flimsy" :laughing6: (silly, scared to hold a tiny newborn.
    [

fyi - for cosmicfly I am not having a VBAC my first was a normal vaginal delivery w/induction....

and yes I am afraid of going into labor at home...is that such a bad thing? For me it would be more stressful since I don't have alot of family who live near by and since I have a toddler I need to keep in mind someone has to come and take care of him esp. if its in the middle of the night... I am a person who likes to have things mapped out and organized.

oh and I don't care about having a small baby, big baby, tall baby, short baby I just want a healthy baby.. so induction or not I will make sure that happens!!!

Oh, sorry, I must have had you confused with someone else :oops: . Seriously, though, my non pit labors and deliveries were easier. If it makes you feel better, with A I had the other 2 to worry about, I had a 45 minute drive to the hospital, my labor lasted not quite 4 hours, and I had enough time to take care of them and get myself there. (and while it freaks me out a little to think about cutting it so close, it really did keep my mind off the entire pain aspect until the end). I guess the more experience I gained having babies, the more inclined I am to distrust measurements that are notoriously inaccurate and interventions that are probably not necessary. That said, I know it's easier to be objective when it's not my baby: I'm pretty sure i obsessed over pretty much everything my midwife said about Aidan (that pregnancy is freshest in my mind and the one i feel I had the most control over) and it was really hard to keep refusing the induction with him- there was always 'the health of your baby' comment in the back of my mind. Just do your research and then do what you think is right. Oh, and congratulations on being able to SAH- I'm so envious :)
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995

First I want to echo what Marielle said. You are not a wuss. You are a strong, smart woman.
    It's not bad to be afraid of going into labor at home. Especially if you were induced the first time and don't know what it is like to go into labor spontaneously, it is normal to be apprehensive about something new. But you don't want to be making decisions out of fear. You want to be making them out of reason and convictions.

I can certainly understand the whole logistics of who will take care of your toddler being an issue. Even if you schedule an induction, though, you need to make an emergency plan (or preferably two plans) for taking care of him. What if you go into labor spontaneously before the planned induction? What if the induction takes 3 days (it happens - ask PhdCow)? You need to have someone on call for emergency childcare anyway.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • RheannaRheanna Registered Users Posts: 2,614
    Deedles, I was terrified to go into labor too, because my SO is almost 2 hours away and *all* my friends and family are an hour away. I ended up going into labor on a night SO was staying over and off the next day, but even if I hadn't, I had a LOT of time. But I do understand your worry. However, I wanted to agree with others that they really don't know how big your baby will be.

My entire pregnancy they told me my baby would be big, commented that I was not small so I "shouldn't" have any problem pushing her out, etc. She was born at 39 weeks and 6 days, weighing just 6 lb 12 oz. She was totally healthy, despite being "small." The thing with me is that I am definitely NOT a small person, but my pelvis is narrow, so my body grew the right size baby for me. That's usually what happens from what I understand.

But yeah... they told me my baby was big. At my 32 week ultrasound, they said she was 4 lb 7 oz. A friend of mine from childbirth class looked so, so tiny compared to me. They told her her baby was very small, weighing in at 3 lb 6 oz at 32 weeks. They even talked about inducing her early because the baby may have "done better out than in." She opted not to do that though. While I was measuring ahead, she measured 3 weeks behind and was worried for weeks and weeks. She had her baby 2 weeks early and the baby weighed 7 lb 9 oz. Again, mine was 1 day early and 6 lb 12 oz.

So, they really just don't know. It's your body and your decision obviously, but just don't let them scare you into something you're not comfortable with.
    DPTFm5.png
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    Deedles, I totally understand where you are coming from, I am a planner and I was worried sick about going into labor on my own, with no one to watch Steven and not being able to get a hold of DH (when they were going to induce me the first time with Steven DH was busy all day at work and I could not get a hold of him). I used to joke that I was going to have to drive myself to the hospital and page my MIL (who is a nurse there) to take Steven once we got there. Since I was induced the first time, I did not know if I would even recognize labor.

I ended up going into labor in the middle of the night/early morning. I was told my entire pregnancy how big I was, and she was just under 7 lbs full term (exactly). I thought I was in labor and it was confirmed by my midwife. Even though we did not have "plans" it worked out.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote: »

First I want to echo what Marielle said. You are not a wuss. You are a strong, smart woman.
    It's not bad to be afraid of going into labor at home. Especially if you were induced the first time and don't know what it is like to go into labor spontaneously, it is normal to be apprehensive about something new. But you don't want to be making decisions out of fear. You want to be making them out of reason and convictions.

I can certainly understand the whole logistics of who will take care of your toddler being an issue. Even if you schedule an induction, though, you need to make an emergency plan (or preferably two plans) for taking care of him. What if you go into labor spontaneously before the planned induction? What if the induction takes 3 days (it happens - ask PhdCow)? You need to have someone on call for emergency childcare anyway.

Still in therapy for that delivery.

Whatever you choose, PLEASE make sure that your cervix is ready for induction. My cervix wasn't even soft, much less dilated, and Emma was up near my ribs. My OB screwed up and they realized it when I got pregnant again and reviewed my chart. I should never, ever have been put through that 3 days of hell that resulted in a traumatic emergency c-section.

OK, off my soap box now.

Good luck in whatever happens!
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

deedles, you're a strong woman!

You made me think of some recent blog postings an online "friend" of mine wrote... scroll down to the entry titled "I'm No Superwoman - Part I" and read that first, followed by "I'm no Superwoman - Part II".
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    deedles, just adding more encouragement. I think the general point is to trust your body. I'm sure you will be fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file