Please Help w/ forehead furrow and nasiolabial folds!

mafaldamafalda Registered Users Posts: 510
Hi all,

I hope you can help me. You ladies are so knowledgable about skin and hair. I used to be on the boards a lot, but I have had a very rough year. I have cried a lot this past year and due to the stress and the constant crying, my forehead has lost elasticity and is droopy. It's hard to describe, its like the skin between my eyebrows is furrowed, like extra skin, but no lines. I look upset/angry all the time. Also, I have nasiolabial folds (laugh lines/marionette lines). I tend to carry a lot of stres in my face.

Also, my skin isn't producing as much oil as before. I used to have very oily skin that I think I ruined by using too many harsh drying skin products. I'm only 30 years old. Is there anything (other than botox or fillers) that will help my skin? Please help.:crybaby:
"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comments

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Registered Users Posts: 3,093
    Check out Pure Skin Formulations' DMAE.
    RedCatWaves swears by this stuff (or use to).
    2b/3a.
  • mafaldamafalda Registered Users Posts: 510
    Thanks. So DMAE will tighten my skin again? Anything else? I have been reading the threads and I noticed Retin A and Vit C is popular. Can they tighten skin? Facial message? Any chance my 30 year old face may just snap back to normal? Stupid stress!
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
    Yes, it lifts, but you want to use it 2x daily and after application let it sit on your face by itself for about 20-30 minutes before you apply moisturizer. I'd give it a few weeks before you notice a difference.

Retin A - tempermental stuff. I would ask a Dermatologist if they would recommend it.

Here is a link about Vitamin C serums.

Of course there is a chance your 30 year old skin will bounce back to normal, any way to eliminate some stress in your life?
    2b/3a.
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I'm not an expert, but maybe you need to stimulate collagen production. I am much older than you, 48, but I have great results with a serum from Skin Actives Scientific. It's called Let's Make Collagen. Very reasonably priced, $12.50 for 1 oz. It took about 2-1/2 to three months to see the full benefits, but it has worked better than anything else I've ever used -- and I've used a lot of products in my time, lol.

Here's a link to the product page:

http://www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=111

As for retinoids, they do stimulate collagen. If you have never used Retin A (very strong! and by prescription only), you probably want to start with an over-the-counter retinol product. Retinol is not nearly as strong as Retin A, so you won't be as prone to the side effects: dryness, peeling, redness. After using retinol for a while (months), you might be able to tolerate Retin A fairly well.

Vitamin C also helps with collagen production, and helps protect against sun damage. The Let's Make Collagen serum has a stable form of vitamin C called magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, plus a lot of other active ingredients.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Some people notice tightening from Vit C. You can try it. www.psfskincare.com makes a well-formulated one for a reasonable price. Just the brightening and "glow" that Vit C gives skin might be enough to help you look/feel more like yourself again. PSF also makes the DMAE that CurlyinColorado mentioned above. DMAE is VERY drying though, so if your skin is already dry, you might not be able to tolerate it.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I have what you are describing. I started using Avene Retrinal (it's OTC) and worked up from weakest strength to strongest. It did help me. I am going to a derm in January hopefully to see what Rx retinoid he will prescribe for me; I think my skin is ready for that, not to mention my acne needs some help.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    Thanks for all the help. I do agree that I need to start having collagen producing again. I just thought that collagen was still being produced in my skin, but I guess not, right? I mean , if my skin is slack now, and it is losing elasticity, then I need to tighten it up.

So I will hold off on the DMAE as it is drying, and my skin is dry enough. So do you all think starting with a low retinoid or Vitamin C will help?

Any experience with facial massage, ultrasound therapy, microcurrent, LED therapy or anything like that that will help to restore my skin?

I just dont know waht to do. When I went to the derm and they are saying to use botox and forhead lift is scary!

Can one year of horrible stress do this much damage to the skin??? Please help.
    One of these days I'm going to have facial acupuncture done, I don't know if it would help, but you could certainly investigate it.

I use laser therapy (my girlfriend is an esthetician) every now and then, but usually for cherry angiomas, sun spots, etc.

Check out this website. I've been to see her and so has my daughter. Perhaps some of the before and after photos will help you identify the "type" of therapy you want to investigate further.

HTH
    2b/3a.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    I second retinol and vitamin c - I use .3% retinol from MUAC at night and a vitamin C serum in the morning (it's supposed to work best then), each on dry skin before my moisturizer or any other product I'm using.

Even more than that, though, is consuming omega-3-rich foods, e.g., salmon. I also take supplements since I often don't eat enough, and I can really see a difference since doing so.

To see what I'm talking about, pick up a copy of The Perricone Prescription next time you're in a bookstore and look at the before and after pictures of women eating a lot of salmon as he recommends - some are amazing! Although I try to eat "cleaner" than I used to, I don't otherwise really follow his plan, and I've never used/taken any of his products. I can definitely see a difference when I'm not eating well and not getting sufficient sleep, though.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Isn't that the truth about sleep, I age 10 years if I don't have a good night's worth of shut eye.
    2b/3a.
    Yeah, and I never do anymore, seems like!

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I agree that getting enough sleep is crucial. No product or procedure can hide fatigue. Plus, sleep deprivation is just bad for you in so many other ways. ... And of course the right food and supplements are keys to good skin.

MAFALDA, I bought an LED device to help heal an injured foot. Then I found out this particular device was used in a study with green tea "toner" (brewed green tea) to target crow's feet. A friend of mine used the green tea with her device and started getting impressive results, and I started using mine on my face, too. Let me know if you are interested, and I can point you toward some info. The device is pricey, but not as costly as surgery(!!) or repeated doses of Botox.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    One of these days I'm going to have facial acupuncture done, I don't know if it would help, but you could certainly investigate it.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/makeup/rouquinnes-makeup-missive-roll-away-those-wrinkles

i actually got one of these, and while it's not working for my forehead wrinkles (i have a really bad habit of raising my eyebrows while i'm working on the computer and guess what i do all day?), it does seem to be helping with the nasolabial folds.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Any residual after effects, i.e. red spots, small scabs? I'd make an appt. for next week but don't want to look funny for the holiday and any potential photos/video...
    2b/3a.
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    auntnett wrote: »
    I second retinol and vitamin c - I use .3% retinol from MUAC at night and a vitamin C serum in the morning (it's supposed to work best then), each on dry skin before my moisturizer or any other product I'm using.

Auntnett, what kind of vitamin c serum are you using?

Do you all know how long its supposed to take to see results from vitamin c? I was using Philosophy's vitamin c powder for a while but I really didn't see any difference. Maybe I should have been more patient.
    comic-p.jpg
    Any residual after effects, i.e. red spots, small scabs? I'd make an appt. for next week but don't want to look funny for the holiday and any potential photos/video...

none at all.

i do this every 2nd night before i go to bed - after cleansing and before putting on treatments/lotions. for about an hour afterward, i do look like i got a sunburn, and the first couple of weeks, it did give me a few tiny zits here and there, but otherwise, it's been a good experience.

the one thing i learned is that you should NOT apply retinol products after doing this - ouch, ouch, OUCH!

:(
    My blog:

Thanks, I'll make that appt. after the holidays.
    2b/3a.
    no, you misunderstood - i don't go to get it done anywhere - i have the device i talked about in my column - it's a micro-needling system you can use yourself.

i couldn't afford acupuncture every second day...
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote: »
    no, you misunderstood - i don't go to get it done anywhere - i have the device i talked about in my column - it's a micro-needling system you can use yourself.

i couldn't afford acupuncture every second day...

Ha, no, I assumed you had some kind of device that was similar to the facial acupuncture I was referring to. I visit a guy here that is pretty cheap, $50 a session, if I like it, I can build in something like that 4-5 times a year.
    2b/3a.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/makeup/rouquinnes-makeup-missive-roll-away-those-wrinkles

i actually got one of these, and while it's not working for my forehead wrinkles (i have a really bad habit of raising my eyebrows while i'm working on the computer and guess what i do all day?), it does seem to be helping with the nasolabial folds.

Rou, what size needles are you using?

How bad does it hurt?
    the smallest size - 0.5 mm.

it doesn't hurt so much as it is uncomfortable. and it makes me sneeze when i do my forehead!

:lol:
    My blog:

auntnett wrote: »

Auntnett, what kind of vitamin c serum are you using?

Do you all know how long its supposed to take to see results from vitamin c? I was using Philosophy's vitamin c powder for a while but I really didn't see any difference. Maybe I should have been more patient.

Right now just some Beyond Belief Vitamin C serum that I picked up at Sally's. I like it OK but no remarkable results as yet - I haven't been using it very long. I do like that it's thin and light, not tacky like some, and it doesn't make my oily skin oilier.

I used MUAC's Vitamin C & E serum or a while. Again, nothing remarkable, although I could tell a difference when I hadn't been using C for a while - that's when I picked up what I'm using now. Can't decide whether to reorder the MUAC, but I probably will unless I try a homemade serum that I saw on makeupalley.com - it's the highest rated one on there and by a lot of women.

My biggest problem is consistency with anything I use - I've been very inconsistent lately, and it shows!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Thanks all for all your help, I'll start incorporating some of your ideas such as retin A and Vit C. I have been reading that not all Vit C is the same. I need to get the stable kind, right? The ester kind, right?

BTW, I got a sample of the Skinceutical Vit C a long time ago and it was brown. turns out I shouldnt have been using it. I hope I didnt cause much damage. Live and learn.

I'll also see about the facial accupuncture. They have it in a spa near me but its expensive.
    So which Vit C would you recommend? which is the most stable. Like I said in my previous post, the vit C I got was already brown. Scary to think that this can do more damage than not using it at all!
    I've never heard of it really doing any damage, just that it's not effective once it oxidizes (changes color). You don't want it if it's yellow or brown. Rather than the typical ascorbic acid, look for one of the newer, more stable types of C like ascorbyl palmitate and aminopropyl ascorbyl phosphate - there are a couple of others, but I can't think of their names.

The one I'm using right now has the former and the MUAC one I used to use had the latter. The current one is pale yellow even when new, so I probably won't repurchase simply because of that - might not notice when it starts turning more yellow soon enough. I'll look for something not yellow/gold/tan/brown. An opaque bottle to block light's important, too, I've read.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • SexiAngelSexiAngel Registered Users Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
    Before spending big money on Vit C serums go here
    http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/ to the DIY forum & find the Vit C thread. It is pages & pages long, skim through it all, lots of information to learn there. I have used Philosophy, Vit C powder, (no visible difference), Used Skincueticals, (to expensive for my pocket, but worked great). NOW after reading the thread I am referring to above, I have made my own serum the last 5 months or so & it is better than any I have paid big bucks for & only cost less than a buck a week even with the Vit E, Ferulic acid & more actives added. It is SO easy to make weekly or bi weekly.

After reading there for quite some time, I now make my own, wrinkle serums, vit C serum, & toner. Next project is a good eye cream over Christmas Vacation of my own LOL. Lots of recipes on the websites to buy the ingredients you will find there also.

Check out the dermarolling thread also, their are links to the products, links to articles & several professionals post there also.
    Thanks all for your help! Will try to incorporate all your suggestions. i was so scared as I was told bad vitamin C is worse for your skin than putting none at all!
    ... a homemade serum that I saw on makeupalley.com - it's the highest rated one on there and by a lot of women.

Link?
    2b/3a.
    this is the thread where RCW posts her recipe for homemade Vitamin C serum:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=49567
    My blog:

• MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    @ Auntnett: That is MY problem too! Its so hard for me to stick with skin routines. I try not to beat myself up about it but I know I'm not gonna get results if I don't put in the work!

@Sexiangel: what kind of differences have u noticed since using the homemmade serum? Less lines? Thanks for the great link. I;m def gonna check it out!!!!
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file