Clogged Tear Duct

curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Registered Users Posts: 1,340
Josephine has had one since birth. We've tried everything to get rid of it and now the doctor is saying if it hasn't cleared up by her first birthday she will have to have surgery. I'm not too keen on that idea any suggestions?

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Two of my kids had a chronic blocked duct. They each cleared up sometime before their first birthday so it's very possible hers will too.

Massage is supposed to help, if she'll tolerate it. If you're breastfeeding, squirting some in the eye daily might help.
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    Clogged tear ducts are common and typically clear up before the first birthday. However, the recommendation is surgery at 1 year if it has not resolved. Are you sure your ped is just now mentioning this to you and didn't say something previously?
    The best way to help it is to provide daily massage with a warm compress -- every single day, multiple times a day.
    Breastmilk is also good for it, though some argue that it only helps by preventing infection and doesn't actually do anything to unclog the duct :dontknow: -- but worth trying if you have it.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Has the doctor given any thought to trying to unplug it by flushing it? I get clogged ducts every now and again and my ophthalmologist did that. It didn't unclog immediately but did the next day or so. Since that one, I massage, massage, massage.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    massage, massage, massage.

This.
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Registered Users Posts: 1,340
    At first they thought it was just an eye infection and treated that way. When we used the medication it seemed to clear up and then it would just keep coming back and this happened several times and we kept treating it until she was about 4 months. All he said was to massage it. So we did all the time for months. Nothing. At her last checkup (6 months) he mentioned the surgery. They haven't given/told us to do anything else. I even tried the breastmilk thing after reading here that people were using it to get rid of eye infections. It didn't seem to help much. We'll just keep trying massage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file