Low dews; what do you do?

Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
This week is our annual week of fall/winter sun and exteme dews (6-10). I have stopped gycerin. I tried butters , oils, leave-ins but they make my hair even stringier with the low dews. Today I tried Curl's Goddess Glaze(something that normally does not work with my hair) and this seemed to do the job; not quite as curly but I got volume and hold for all day and no static. The clouds are coming back in a few days but am curious what others with fine/thin hair do?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse

Comments

• AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    I'm not sure yet...since we are rarely that low unless we have Santa Ana's and then I'm not sure how my hair will react.

So far we've held pretty steady with 40-60 most of the year.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    our dews are in the -16 to -20 degree Celcius range and my hair actually seems to love the cold weather!

I really haven't changed my products but have changed a little bit how much and how I use them.

In summer and warmer humid weather I alternate my moisture and protein products and in this dry, bone chilling weather I use them all at the same time.

I have switched to the Spritz and Condish method -spray wet my hair(not dripping though) and layer my protein treatment under my moisturizing conditioner, wait about half an hour, root wash with a lo-poo, rinse and at this point I try to remember to do an ACV rinse. Then I add my rinse out condish, rinse that a bit and plopp from soaking wet for about10 munites.

Then I'll detangle and add back an equal mix of protein condish, moisture condish and CurlKeeper. May hair is really gloppy with product but it seems to work even though it shouldn't.

I'll plopp again for a couple of minutes and then diffuse quickly and then air dry.

Going outside with wet hair in these temps has one good thing going for it. My hair freezes almost instantly and super quick it is freeze dried. Once it's dry, I'll mush out a bit of the CurlKeeper crunch and I'm good to go....
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh I forgot this year's El Nino; we get 2 weeks of sun and low dews! I guess I will dig out my goddess glaze today, do a protein/shikakai treatment and try CK tomorrow. Maybe just try a gob of firm hold gel ? Any other ideas? I used to live in a damp old building so my hair never reacted to low dews before! I need help... my hair just wilts and flattens out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I feel your pain! I've been living with extremely low dews for 3-4 months. This is what works for me....

PT and DT about every 10 days. Alternate Co-wash/low poo every 3 days, condish, then scrunch in soaking wet hair: LI mixed with a few drops of almond oil, mousse, curl creme emulsified with gel or glaze. I highly recommend Biotera curl creme in the low dews - it's become my HG!

The curl creme helps with moisture and a little gel holds the curl all day.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • kayaellekayaelle Posts: 301Registered Users
    I don't think I've figured out these low dews... sigh. I just use some leave in and hope for the best! I miss my summer curls :(
    Rhode Island - New England curly
    2c-3a/F/i (Fia), shoulder length, need it cut!
    Mod-CG since 10/09 - over 1 year!!

Cleanse: Suave condish, WF 365 lavender poo, soap, BS/ACV
    Leave in: KCKT, CJ CF
    Current winter stylers: CJ SG (HG!), AOMM, Boots, ALWAYS top w/ BRHG
    PT: AOGPB, Emergencee, CJ CF
    Diffuser dependent!
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :blob4:CK works! :blob3: I have had bouncy curls for 2 days now!:blob5:
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    YAY for bouncy curls!!!!! So glad you found something that works for you!!!

After finding what works for me in low dews, I woke up this morning to a dew point of 35, took out my pineapple and huge frizz ball! Now I get to start over.

:read2:
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file