broccoli rabe

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
how do you choose it and cook it so that it's not so bitter? it almost ruined my dinner.
hello.world.

Comments

• mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    It can be so vile if it's too bitter! What you need to do is blanch it, drain it, then saute it. From what I have found, it's the only way to get rid of the bitterness.

You may also have to peel the lower stalks a little if they're tough, that way it's tender when it is cooked.

When I blanch it, I just plunge it for about 1 minute in boiling salted water. I tried steaming, them saute, but the bitterness was still there.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    thanks. I just steamed it and sprinkled a little salt and lemon juice on top and it was so overpowering. I bought quite a bit so I have time to practice.
    hello.world.
  • ceebeeteecurleeceebeeteecurlee Posts: 5Registered Users
    Broccoli Rabe is a bitter vegetable, that's the taste, so~~ you need to get used to it. I grew to like it because my husband's family eats it all the time. I make a homemade pizza, (dough, sauce everything homemade) then I simmer the rabe till cooked. Drain, saute' a ton of fresh garlic in a pan, add a good amount of olive oil and lightly cook the garlic till soft. Add the cooked rabe, squeeze with fresh lemon and put a bit of crushed red pepper on it, and don't forget to put some crushed red pepper on the pizza too~~ serve as a side dish to the pizza.
    On a different note, have you tried Arugula? It is a green that is used fresh very often in salads, sometimes cooked in a fresh tomato sauce...It has great flavor, esp in a salad, with just a tiny peppery bite. I love it best fresh.
    HTH
    Cee

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: ceebeeteecurlee ]
    3a curls, med/fineCurl enhancers- Looking for new product now that my hair has gone
    WAVY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file