New Trend in Malls?

ArmyofWavesArmyofWaves Registered Users Posts: 53
Have you ever passed by a booth in the mall, and the person calls out, "Would you like to try this lotion?" You politely say no and go on your way..

Now, near me, two malls have a booth that is selling a new hair straightener.

When I walked past it today, I knew she would call me out.
She asks me if I straighten my hair.. I say no. She acts surprised and asks if she can show me something.
I told her "No thanks, I like my curls." And she was SO surprised.

It was so embarrassing, and I felt self-conscious the rest of the day..
Type 2a with bits of 2b and c sprinkled in <3

Trying to use up Deva.. my hair hates it..
going back to Lush after.

Low Porosity-Higher where highlights are
Medium Density

BSL Hair when Wavy
My Goal is to (eventually) Have TB, or maybe just waist.
My realistic goal is to get to Midback by christmas. :)

Comments

• ArmyofWavesArmyofWaves Registered Users Posts: 53
    What I meant to ask is..
    "Do the malls near you have these yet?"
    and if so, "What do you do when they call you out?"

Medium Density

BSL Hair when Wavy
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't go to the mall much, so I haven't seen what you are describing. Those kiosk/booth people are wild sometimes. I just usually smile and say no thank you; sometimes saying it several times until I get past other times just once and then I ignore them.

Good for you for saying that you liked your curls! Maybe she was surprised because the "reel 'em in" script she learned from didn't cover an answer like you gave her!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    i think i know which one your talking about. there's this guy who was selling a straightener that apparently works with magnets (no heat). so i walked by and he wanted to try it on me. i told him "no thanks, i don't like using heat" and he went on and told me how its magnetic and there's no damaging involved. i was curious, but my hair was up in a pony tail and i wasnt going to let the mane down and then have a straight chunk so i told him maybe next time. he like, almost grabbed my hair so he can show me. i was caught so off guard that i was just like "no!"- kinda in a way that you would discipline a pet! GOSH!!! back off mall people!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • ashlenneashlenne Registered Users Posts: 13
    I haven't really been to a mall lately, but I have seen these and I have been called out because I have crazy curly hair! haha

The guy said "hey! Do you ever straighten your hair!?" I said, "not really". He said, "oh, have you ever?" Me: "Yes, I have." Him: "Have you tried (insert whatever product he was selling)?" Me: "No. I used to use a Chi." Him: "Oh, this product is WAY better than the Chi! Blah Blah Blah." Me: "Oh. That's nice...*trying to walk away" Him: "So, can I show you?" Me: "I like my hair curly, thank you." Him: "I can make it curly again afterwards, I promise!" Me: "Are you sure?" Him: "Yes" Me: (Since I was heading out and going back home to shower anyway, I decided what the heck) "Okay, fine."

The product, whatever it was, did work really well on the one strand he straightened and he was able to get the strand to be curly again, but I don't want my hair straight, so I didn't buy it and he wasted 5 minutes of his life doing this, but whatever. hahaha..

They are a little annoying, but meh, whatever. :)
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    The lady at the new kiosk at my mall asked me that question too, "Can I show you something?"

Like I don't already know what that "thing" is? I told her the dews were good so I was rocking curls.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • dont worry be curly!dont worry be curly! Registered Users Posts: 144
    I totallyknow what your talking about it is annoying! at the mall I go to it's a bit different.they start off with a compliment. They (usually a guy and a girl) are like is your hair naturally that curly!?!? I'm like "um yah," and then I start walking faster and then the guy or girl goes,"oh we can totally help! :angry7:" then I was like um I don't need your help and like my hair the way it is! UGH!
    ~~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. --Dr.Seuss

~~Don't cry because it's over smile because it happened.--Dr.Seuss:color:

We are all fools, whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance! :)
  • FinnickyWavetopFinnickyWavetop Registered Users Posts: 25
    Over here (I'm in Finland) it's mostly a few foreign companies pushing the stuff. All their employees are Israeli, they tend to do this travel-and-work-thing in their early twenties.
    But anyway, here most people's hair is straight, so they're pushing curling irons on everyone. They come up to me with their "I have something for your curls", and it's so absurd! A woman with gorgeous natural Hebrew curls is pushing a curling iron on a woman with natural Nordic curls (in Finland you'd call my wavy 2b-c curly too, since the straighties here are reeaally straight, think fibreglass). Umm... so if we both use that iron, we can make our hair like it already is, but more brittle :scratch:?
    Porous 2a-c F i PJ glycerin hater in Finland
    CG and I are dating, but we're not exclusive or anything
    I'll add magsulfate to anything!
    Liking: JCHCC, Too Shea, 4R Moisture Mist, Gelebration spray, Wella hold 2 mousse, tucuma butter
  • Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Registered Users Posts: 268
    Well, those booth ladies are always crazy in general to get you to buy their product :). I wouldn't take it personally, she probaby just did that so it would make you want to buy the product! Brownie points for you for standing up for the curls! Yesterday, I had to go to a special event, so instead of trying to fix my waves, I just ended up blow drying it straight, it just wasn't me! It felt awkward, and even after that one use my hair was damgaed-feeling. I don't know how I did it for months, years! I'm glad I'm a curly girl, now, granted, it's not looking the best a lot of the time, but when it is pretty, it's much more gorgoues than straight, flat hair!
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    It's nothing new.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SandiSandi Registered Users Posts: 364 Curl Neophyte
    Umm... no. It's not new at all. Of course.. I didn't wear my curls naturally until a couple years ago so I didn't get hit up then.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • peyrouxpeyroux Registered Users Posts: 174
    They've been doing this since before I started working a mall, about 5 years ago. I found the best answer is "No. NO. I SAID NO!" (if they don't let up, that is). I just don't let them get me into a conversation.
    2b, high porosity, medium texture
    CG since 11/20/09

Current routine:

low poo: GTTTT
    rinse out: Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily
    leave-in: GVP Conditioning Balm or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    stylers: Proclaim Curl Activator Gel, Proclaim Crystal Ice Protein Gel or Ecostyler Krystal Gel
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Registered Users Posts: 260
    I've walked by those kiosks in the mall several dozen times in the past 2 years, and not once have they even approached me to try and show me their product! I'm 50 years old and have never straightened my 3a/b hair. I must have this look that says, "leave me alone, I'm a curly girl".
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    peyroux wrote: »
    They've been doing this since before I started working a mall, about 5 years ago. I found the best answer is "No. NO. I SAID NO!" (if they don't let up, that is). I just don't let them get me into a conversation.

I either do this or completely ignore the salesperson. I don't want to be rude, but these people are so aggresive that it's hard not to be.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• lodylody Registered Users Posts: 334
    Over here (I'm in Finland) it's mostly a few foreign companies pushing the stuff. All their employees are Israeli, they tend to do this travel-and-work-thing in their early twenties.
    But anyway, here most people's hair is straight, so they're pushing curling irons on everyone. They come up to me with their "I have something for your curls", and it's so absurd! A woman with gorgeous natural Hebrew curls is pushing a curling iron on a woman with natural Nordic curls (in Finland you'd call my wavy 2b-c curly too, since the straighties here are reeaally straight, think fibreglass). Umm... so if we both use that iron, we can make our hair like it already is, but more brittle :scratch:?

I laughed so much imagining curly girl trying to sell curly you a curling iron, you have no idea. xD
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• RonnieajRonnieaj Registered Users Posts: 304
    I'll be honest, I've come close to punching a guy over this. Bad Ronnie, I know!! But I was in the mall with my hair in a glorious afro puff of afro-puffed gloriousness (I ain't gon lie, that thing was FLY!!), and some guy with a flat iron literally RUNS me down in the mall screaming at me to stop so he could show me his iron. He says "you don't want your hair like that right? Lemme show you this GREAT product!" He's smack dab in my face, and I was none too pleased. I told him I loved my afro, thanks for asking, and that if he took one more step it was on. He took another step, and I made a fist. Bad Ronnie, BAD!!! Needless to say, he walked away. Also needless to say, I don't like those people.
  • FinnickyWavetopFinnickyWavetop Registered Users Posts: 25
    lody wrote: »
    I laughed so much imagining curly girl trying to sell curly you a curling iron, you have no idea. xD

:laughing6: Yes, it's just so absurd that it's actually funny in a good kind of way. They do sell "styling irons" as well, and women's magazines here have articles about how to create waves and flips using a styling iron. I guess they wouldn't really sell if you called them flat irons here...
    Porous 2a-c F i PJ glycerin hater in Finland
    CG and I are dating, but we're not exclusive or anything
    I'll add magsulfate to anything!
    Liking: JCHCC, Too Shea, 4R Moisture Mist, Gelebration spray, Wella hold 2 mousse, tucuma butter
  • EkaetteEkaette Registered Users Posts: 356
    lol You need to learn the secret to those guys
    Walk by, shake your head and say no thanks. Don't stop and don't make eye contact. They'll keep trying bc that's their job. However you don't have to take the bait and you just keep it moving
    event.png

4b natural
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    Ekaette wrote: »
    lol You need to learn the secret to those guys
    Walk by, shake your head and say no thanks. Don't stop and don't make eye contact. They'll keep trying bc that's their job. However you don't have to take the bait and you just keep it moving

thats what i usually do. but when it comes to the flat iron sales people at the mall, we usually have an unsaid understanding-- i love my curls and they dont want to take the time to try to flat iron my hair.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Don't even talk to them, just keep walking.

If you engage with them, they will persist because you've given in a little already and they think they have a shot with you.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I've never had the flat iron people approach me. It's usually the lotion or nail buffer people that won't take no for an answer. Like Dionne Warwick sang, "Walk on by..."
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • ArmyofWavesArmyofWaves Registered Users Posts: 53
    And I thought these were new...

Haha, I guess my area's a little less-trendy then I thought.

Medium Density

BSL Hair when Wavy
  • bergasaurusbergasaurus Registered Users Posts: 375
    I just say no thanks and keep walking. I've never had someone chase me down. I don't worry about being rude, because I'm not- I say no thanks and that's enough. These people are in sales and they have to be agressive, and I don't hold that against them.

If someone did try to physically stop me or come after me, that would be a major problem and then my attitude would most definitely come out.
    No cones since 08/25/09. Occasional low poo.
    Fine, normal to low porosity (still not sure which), ii, 3a/3b curls
    Playing with products: HEBE Mousse, BRHG, AOMM, HESMU. Nothing blows my mind just yet. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is pretty flat iron resistant so my kids usually joke that I should go sit there and ask them to straighten it.

Maybe they can tell by looking at it, they don't usually come after me.

And oh yes those Israeli hand lotion people are like crazy hand lotion pushers. They will run after you, trying to moisturize your hands.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    I was approached not to long ago while Christmas shopping. I gave the woman a smile, a nod, and a stern no and she looked me up and down, stopped at my hair, and rolled her eyes.
    There is no way, unless my hair is already blown out and moisturized, that their iron could straighten my hair.
    :laughing1:
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I was approached not to long ago while Christmas shopping. I gave the woman a smile, a nod, and a stern no and she looked me up and down, stopped at my hair, and rolled her eyes.
    There is no way, unless my hair is already blown out and moisturized, that their iron could straighten my hair.
    :laughing1:

The same is true of my hair. Flat ironing over curls just leaves weird little crimps in my hair. I hate the way my hair looks when it's straight, though. It's dull and dry-looking. Plus, I have no idea what to do with it.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • erikaxelectrik7erikaxelectrik7 Registered Users Posts: 90
    Ugh..I hate that. I don't mind them asking me when I walk by...but when they just keep insisting that I absolutley cannot live without this flat iron..that I get annoyed.

I really hate when they offer to flat iron a strand of my curly hair and then promise to curl it back using the flat iron. Like....it doesn't matter if you curl it back..it's still going to look stupid because the REST of my head does not curl in perfect, spiral curls....!!!!
  • moodydovemoodydove Registered Users Posts: 1,721
    Have you ever passed by a booth in the mall, and the person calls out, "Would you like to try this lotion?" You politely say no and go on your way..

Now, near me, two malls have a booth that is selling a new hair straightener.

When I walked past it today, I knew she would call me out.
    She asks me if I straighten my hair.. I say no. She acts surprised and asks if she can show me something.
    I told her "No thanks, I like my curls." And she was SO surprised.

It was so embarrassing, and I felt self-conscious the rest of the day..

This happens to me too! I was at Nord's once, and this man with a cheetah print flat comes up to me and asks if I have extensions (which I thought was ridiculous because my hair was barely shoulder length), then he tries to tell me that the iron is moisturizing...it was weird. Lol.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • CopaseticCopasetic Registered Users Posts: 222
    There is a flat iron kiosk at the mall I go to. Its a small mall, so there is really no way to avoid them. When I walk by I just pretend to be really interested in the cell phones on display opposite the flat irons. The few times I have been asked to try the flat iron, I just smile, and say "No, thank you."
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • ida2ida2 Registered Users Posts: 140
    wow those folks sound really annoying I haven't been to the mall a while.
  • ashjaashja Registered Users Posts: 35 Curl Neophyte
    OH my gosh, I can't stand those hair straightner kiosk people. I work at a mall and the ones who work there for one are all men and they are very obnoxious. I don't know how many times they see me pass by there and say no to them but they still make a beeline for me when they see me coming and brandish that stupid pink straightener in my face! I get so angry. I'm gonna come up with a snippy response for next time it happens. I wonder if it's all the same company?
    comic-p.jpg

http://fotki.com/ashjc87

8 years natural! 3b/3c/4a mix. med-coarse. cottony. shoulder length unstretched, almost apl stretched.

currently in product junkie rehab. attempting to simplify my routine.

currently using: v05 free me freesia condish, cantu shea-butter leave in, coconut oil, aussie moist shampoo (once a week), kinky curly curling custard

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file