prepping veggies

melanymelany Registered Users Posts: 6
anyone have some good, preferrably quick/easy, veggie preps they use a sides? i mean, i love steamed broccoli and spinach, but you DO get bored of those. i'm looking for a nice way to prepare cabbage, asparagus, and even green beans.

i'm going to switch to a protein and two veggie dinner and see how that works for us. trying to buckle down a bit after our 2.5 weeks in italy eating luscious pasta and pizza and cheese and wine and BEFORE the holidays.
i think pretty is nice, but i'd rather see something new. --ani difranco

Comments

• merynmeryn Registered Users Posts: 1,807 Curl Novice
    Here's a few ideas:

Asparagus - blanch them for just a few seconds (til tender-crisp), slice in 1" pieces, then toss with a drizzle of sesame oil, a splash of soy sauce, a splash of orange juice, and a couple shakes of toasted sesame seeds.

Green beens - I generally just toss those with roasted garlic and a little olive oil.

Artichokes make a good side dish. I just squeeze lemon on them. They are super low in calories and filling.

Red pepper and onion sliced and grilled is yummy. The same with yellow squash or zucchini.

Roasting veggies is a good option too!

hth!
  • melanymelany Registered Users Posts: 6
    thanks! the asparagus sounds yummy.
  • *Christy**Christy* Registered Users Posts: 40
    I know you didn't mention corn, but, it's good if you grill some chopped onion and green pepper in butter first, then stir in the corn and simmer for a bit. It's different and very good. I'm sooo bored of the same ol veggies!
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They don't really have a purpose,
    but they still bring a smile to your face
    when you push them down the stairs.
  • loreleilorelei Registered Users Posts: 9
    Roast them! Just toss the veggies you're using with a little olive oil and seasonings you like -- balsamic vinegar, garlic, cumin, basil, thyme, etc. (of course, not all of those together!). Then stick them in a hot oven until they're done to your liking.

Some ideas:

cauliflower with tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, cumin, and coriander

asparagus with olive oil, garlic, thyme, and balsamic vinegar

brocolli with onions, garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar
    What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork.
  • mazeymazey Registered Users Posts: 709
    My favorite asparagus ever - Roasted Asparagus:

Line a baking sheet (cookie sheet) with foil. Rinse/wash and pat dry a bunch of asparagus, then slice off the tough ends (the thicker part).

Put asparagus on the foil sheet and toss with 1T of olive oil and spinkle generously with salt and pepper. Put them in a 375 degree oven for ~20 minutes, or until fork tender (depends on thickness of asparagus).

Oh - here is a good spinach one (also broccoli rabe can be substituted):

Heat 2 T of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 cloves of garlic that has been finely chopped (or more if you are a big garlic fan like me). This isn't a necessary step, but if you like a little spice, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Add a bag of washed spinach, put a lid on the skillet and stir around every minute or two until it wilts, then season with salt and pepper and serve.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • melanymelany Registered Users Posts: 6
    Yum!!!! everything sounds so good ... thanks so much, everyone. i'd just gotten so tired of steaming my broccoli (don't get me wrong, i LOVE it: minced garlic, tad of water, some red pepper flakes .... ) ... i do love corn ... and spinach ... green veggies. and the red peppers. they're so good!!
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    tempura!
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file