Western PA?

redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
I see there are a few Pgh/Western PA area ladies here. Has there ever been a get together? Would anyone like to attend one? Eastern Ohio and the Northern Panhandle of WV could work too.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I know that there are some of you out there... anyone?

• SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    You can count me in, most likely. Maybe we could do a daytime gathering though, since my baby (and I!) both go to bed ridiculously early! :D \

I'm guessing that many of the others don't check this board (I forget it's even here). You might try a general post on the non-hair board to let people know to check over here, or we could contact folks directly. The other posters (regular posters--there are several others here who are members but haven't posted in ages) I know for sure who are local are:

ThreeRiversCurly
    Imagen
    Munchkin
    SarahCurlyGirl
    JeepCurly

I think there are others, but now I'm drawing a blank!
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • juvjoyjuvjoy Registered Users Posts: 670
    Me Me Me!!!! I think that would be so much fun. And since I'm new to the area I really don't have any friends yet. I live in Wexford so count me in. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks!
    Kim
    Woohoo!

SweetPickles if you could contact TRC since you know her, that would be cool. I'll PM the trest. There's another lady here also (the one who told me about Elucence being available on the strip) so I'll PM her too.

juvjoy, I've been here about 2 years and still have made few friends outside of work. I just suck at stuff like that. Since I work with almost all men, it can get lonely if I want to do girl stuff, l

Paula

OK.

I PM'd Imagen, munchkin (but she's in Italy for 10 days), SarahCurlyGirl, JeepCurlyGirl, and curlycomrade.

If anyone knows of any others, feel free to let me know, or go ahead and PM them and post it here so we don't double PM.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    I never ever look at this board but for some reason I did today. Weird. If you don't mind an old lady joining your get together, I'd love to come. But don't worry if my schedule doesn't allow it to happen. Between now and New Years is a really really busy time for me. Spring and summer are better, but I'd try!
    I'm 2 hours north of Pittsburgh and I think maybe Muchkin is around that far away if not more.
    If you decide to meet outside of Pittsburgh, a fun place to go is the Grove City Outlets on I79. Easy for anyone to find, lots of parking and stores, and a food court. Just an idea.
    Keep me posted.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I never ever look at this board but for some reason I did today. Weird. If you don't mind an old lady joining your get together, I'd love to come. But don't worry if my schedule doesn't allow it to happen. Between now and New Years is a really really busy time for me. Spring and summer are better, but I'd try!
    I'm 2 hours north of Pittsburgh and I think maybe Muchkin is around that far away if not more.
    If you decide to meet outside of Pittsburgh, a fun place to go is the Grove City Outlets on I79. Easy for anyone to find, lots of parking and stores, and a food court. Just an idea.
    Keep me posted.

Woohoo!

I don't think you're old!! :o

I don't mind travelling. I'm not quite sure where everyone is exactly, but we'll find out.

If we do one that isn't a good time for you, I'd hope that it goes well enough to repeat it and have another. :)

I used to commute from Wheeling to Pgh every day until I just moved up here, so driving is no big issue for me.

On a curly note, there's a place in the Strip District that distributes Elucence. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if individuals can walk in and buy. That would be great.

If anyone knows anyone in eastern Ohio, or, say Wheeling or Morgantown areas that wants to come, that would be cool too.

Jeepycurlgirl!

2 hrs. north of Pitts??? My husband grew up (and my in-laws still live) in Saegertown!!! Is that near where u live? So cool if it is! :)

Red - DEFINITILY keep me posted on this. I live about 1/2 hr from Grove City outlets, but I'd be willing to travel further if need be :)
    Kim
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Saegertown is just a few miles north of me. I'm in Meadville. I think munchkin has relatives here also. It's a small world. My little sister has lived all over Pittsburgh for about 20 years so we get down that way fairly often. Right now she's in Mt.Lebanon. My boss's best friend lived in Wexford for many years.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I've been here 6 years and still haven't really made any close friends. I hope you will have better luck than me!

I will contact 3RC this week about a gathering. I am okay with meeting someplace outside of the city. Someone will probably have to pick up SarahCurlyGirl if she wants to attend though--she's a youngin! :)
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
    Jeepy - Oh my goodness! My husband & I lived in Meadville for 3 yrs. Our first son was born there. We lived off Conneaut Lake Rd. (Carr Hill Rd. across from the big Walmart)!!!

Wow that is so neat!
    Kim
    It's an even smaller world than I thought! We probably walked by each other at the grocery store or something!
  • imagenimagen Registered Users Posts: 343
    Thanks for the PM! Definitely keep me up to date on any progress. I work and have a little guy, but if I can make it I would like to come! I'm about 10 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, but I don't mind traveling alittle bit.

I think it would be a good idea to do this before any possibility of it getting icy or snowy..but goodness, I remember it snowing here on Halloween!
    I was hoping sometime between now and Thanksgiving, preferably October though, before people get caught up in Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and what not.

I'm sure we can work with the Moms and schedules.

I'm in the North Versailles/East Pittsburgh area, but am happy to travel and take passengers if need be.

• SCGSCG Registered Users Posts: 5,416
    I don't think I'll be attending this curl gathering - somehow, I don't think my parents would appreciate me galavanting with some curly ladies I met on the internet. :wink:

Hope everything works out for you guys, though. Maybe I'll attend a get together in a few years. :)

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
    Sarah, I can certainly understand that. I would have to side with your parents on that one. One of us could be an axe murderer or something. Not me, of course.
    Jeepy,

I was just looking at your jeep/ink photos & I LOVE your tats!!! The vines are beautiful.

I just got a chinese symbol on my upper back about a month or so ago. I have another flower/vine thingy on my lower back. Here's my newest tat.
    noseandtat002.jpg
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Registered Users Posts: 994
    Howdy Girls! Count me in. I live in Pittsburgh - Bethel Park to be exact, and am open to travel. You name the place and I will work it out!
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
    juvjoy great tat!
    Redceltic curls wrote in another thread
    There's a lady in the Turtle Creek area that does Deva cuts for $28. I went, and my length didn't change much, but the shape of the curls was a little different afterwards.
    Does she have enough help to cut 5 or 6 of us at one time? :)
    Hi!

Where's Turtle Creek anyway? I've been trying to look it up & can't find it - I don't know why?

Thanks,
    Kim
    juvjoy wrote:
    Hi!

Where's Turtle Creek anyway? I've been trying to look it up & can't find it - I don't know why?

Thanks,
    Kim

Hmm, it's in the area of East Pittsburgh, near the Westinghouse Bridge if that helps. The area where that salon is is also called Churchhill.

That's the odd thing around here. Every five mintues, I'm in a new place.

This might help a little.

http://local.yahoo.com/?csz=Turtle+Creek%2C+PA

I had a funny Pgh moment on Thursday. It was my birthday, and S/O offered to take me anywhere I wanted for dinner. I wanted to go to Roberto's in Bellevue. They have the best authentic southern Italian pizza, and I'm picky since I've lived there.

So, we drive clear out there, about 40-45 minutes, and the place is SHUT DOWN! I didn't think of calling ahead. I checked their website for their hours, and it all looked fine. We ended up at some place called Luigi's, which was good if not really authentic. We told out story to our server, and she said that the place closed down two weeks ago when the owner got into some sort of trouble and took off to NJ. It was sort of funny, making that drive for nothing. I really wanted a good Neapolitan pizza too.

There's a lady in the Turtle Creek area that does Deva cuts for $28. I went, and my length didn't change much, but the shape of the curls was a little different afterwards.

Wouldn't that be fun? :lol:

I think she (Denise, the woman I saw) has one other person who is Devatrained too. I remember the other woman as she had curlier hair, but I forgot her name. It's a fairly small salon, so I chuckle at the thought of fitting us all in there at one time.

I think she (Denise, the woman I saw) has one other person who is Devatrained too. I remember the other woman as she had curlier hair, but I forgot her name. It's a fairly small salon, so I chuckle at the thought of fitting us all in there at one time.
    On the topic of the salon that redcelticcurls is talking about: I started going here and hands down, BEST cut I've had in Pittsburgh. One of the best cuts I've ever had at all, actually. Highly recommended! Just don't follow Mapquest directions! RCC and I both got lost the same way the first time thanks to Mapquest.

On the topic of the salon that redcelticcurls is talking about: I started going here and hands down, BEST cut I've had in Pittsburgh. One of the best cuts I've ever had at all, actually. Highly recommended! Just don't follow Mapquest directions! RCC and I both got lost the same way the first time thanks to Mapquest.

Oh, yes, I went so far out of the way that first time. I had to call and get directions.

So r we doing a gathering or not?

Kim
    I'm still interested (though I keep forgetting to check this board!)
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Registered Users Posts: 994
    I'm in. Let's start narrowing things down that won't work.

Are weekdays or nights good for anyone - or weekends only?

SweetPickles is nursing a bebe, so I think we should keep that in mind while picking a location. Maybe keep it closer to her if possible.

Location ideas - are we thinking a mall or a restaurant - or something else all together?

Where does everyone live? I am more than open to driving.

Are we still thinking before Thanksgiving? Personally I think this would be best - ya'll know how crazy it can get around the holidays.

If you want - PM me and I'll at least compile the facts - that will give us a starting point. I'm used to crazy scheduling with out business! :lol:
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
    I'm cool with either weekends or weekdays.

I've had a job switch, so my schedule is still up in the air at present, but I can update as I know more.

A mall/restaurant idea sounds nice. It seems to have gotten a bit cold to sit around outside now. :)

I'm in the Eastern burbs, but can drive anywhere. I'm cool with keeping it closer to SweetPickles.

• mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, I just found this thread and I also live in the Pittsburgh area. Depending on what day of the week is chosen, I would love to come.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file