Hiding thinness at the top

curlykristincurlykristin Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My hair has really thinned out all over my head. It is really only noticeable at the top though. My current technique for making the top of my hair seem fuller is to let my hair dry parted down the middle and then after it is dry swap the part over to the left, where I usually part it. Or I make a zig zag part.

It seems to help! Anyone else with some ideas?
:sunny:3B- anywhere from sidewalk chalk to straw sized! High Porosity and fine, low density

Day 1
Shea moisture high porosity cowash
shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl conditioner 
KCCC
DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2
spritz with oil wonders volume rose conditioner diluted with water and rescrunch
one squirt of frizz free foam

Deep Treatment:
Shea Moisture High Porosity masque
aphogee keratin and green tea protein spray

Currently in recovery from too much bleach and chronic heat styling. 

Comments

• Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, the zig zag part helps but I must try parting on the opposite side and flipping over! I slip my fingers underneath and rub circles just near the roots without messing up the canopy; I also do this with a comb for lift on my crown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    I use those tiny little claw clips too. I am thinning in the front by my temple's and sometimes with curl formation there are "bare" areas..so I will clip some hair over them with the little clip.

It works pretty well.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,104Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I do what HeatherOkay does and rub the roots. I also use a fine-tooth comb and comb the top to get the hair to come together to hide the thin bits as much as possible. I have the misfortune of straight roots so this works ok for me.
    3b in South Australia.
    Most claw clips are too heavy and slide out of my hair; I have 2 very old extra light ones that I usually get to stay in place. All of the newer ones I see are heavier but I have not tried the super mini ones yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I do the zig zag part! I also can't air dry -- I'm just about bald looking if I do that. I rub my fingertips on my scalp and flip up to break up any horrible clumps.

I have always dried my hair so the part lays one way, and then when I'm finished flop the part over to the other side. I also can only part my hair on one specific side, because the other temple has lost enough hair that its really thin looking. I've used bobby pins or those tiny plastic jaw clamps to bunch a small amount of hair "underneath" to get some volume on the thin side.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,682Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    One of my friends at started taking kelp supplements for thinness on top. After about a month or so, I noticed a difference (that was when I complimented her on her hair and she shared this info with me; she didn't tell me about the kelp beforehand). She's been on it for a while and I think her hair looks very nice. She wears it short so, IMO, stringiness and thinness are less noticeable on her than on me. I would love to try kelp supplements as she has, but mixed with thyroid medication (I take) I've read it's not a good idea.

I am going to start a thread to see who else has tried kelp and what it's done for their hair.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • kayaellekayaelle Posts: 301Registered Users
    I'm so excited about this "thin" category. I have issues more with the back of my head... the places you can't see yourself. The hair there does strange things so I've been trying to comb it after I put in my leave in.it seems to helps. I have this really weird apot where the hair has almost a cowlick and the hair on top doesn't cover it well. I should try using the small claw clips while diffusing, I just never have enough time in the morning.
    Rhode Island - New England curly
    2c-3a/F/i (Fia), shoulder length, need it cut!
    Mod-CG since 10/09 - over 1 year!!

Cleanse: Suave condish, WF 365 lavender poo, soap, BS/ACV
    Leave in: KCKT, CJ CF
    Current winter stylers: CJ SG (HG!), AOMM, Boots, ALWAYS top w/ BRHG
    PT: AOGPB, Emergencee, CJ CF
    Diffuser dependent!
  • CurlFaceCurlFace Posts: 176Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Alexjoujou wrote: »
    I use those tiny little claw clips too. I am thinning in the front by my temple's and sometimes with curl formation there are "bare" areas..so I will clip some hair over them with the little clip.

It works pretty well.

Mine is thinning at the temple area, too!

I use those generic little clips that "click" when you snap them shut. Like these:
    http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=422611&productId=422611
    I snap them in and then gently pull a bit of hair up at the crown so that it gives it some lift. Hard to explain without actually showing you!
    Type: 3a - type 1 on the underside. Thinning.
    :glasses11:
    Currently using:
    -Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo (occasionally)
    -Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner
    -Suave Waterfall Mist Conditioner or Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific as leave-in
    -A mix of Shique Gel and HE Totally Twisted mousse
    -FX Curls Up Mousse, on occasion

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Randomly clipping the top after I've diffused a little so there's really not a particular part helps me as much as anything. Then once it's dried and the clips are removed, ruffling the roots with my fingers as others have described or at times even lightly backcombing with my claw-shaped pick for a little more lift and fullness - not enough that it looks teased, just that the curls are ruffled up some.

I usually can't get the little jaw clips not to show once dry, even the tiniest ones. But sometimes I do pretty well with a couple of these

SBS-409000?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0

I can randomly stick in a couple of those more artfully so that they show less than I can most other types of clips or pins.

All too often I just put it half up with one of these (with the "legs" pointed forward toward my face) or a little larger jaw clip at my crown in a way that the top is lifted up and looks fuller.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • CrowesgirlCrowesgirl Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hi everyone,

I'm really thrilled to see this forum. I hope to learn a lot! I have 2-3 type curls/waves. My hair has been progressively getting thinner for the past 10 years or so and now it is quite noticeable at the crown.

I've done the clips when I'm diffusing...I need to practice more because I'm not very good at it.

Curlface and auntnett, are you leaving little clips in once your hair is dry?
    No, when I clip my hair after diffusing, I'm using metal duckbill clips, so they're removed. Then once it's completely dry and I'm trying to style/arrange it, I sometimes use the plastic ones pictured or a jaw/butterfly clip if needed.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had thin a area at the temples as long as I can remember.
    My sister and other relatives on my mothers side do also.
    I have never tried any treatments for them.
    If there are any out there that work I would deff try them.

Will keep an eye on this thread just in case a moracle exists!!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    http://public.fotki.com/IamDonna/

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/70_149/75_144/DSCN0395-vi573.jpg
    NEW PICS
  • Guyanese.PrincessGuyanese.Princess Posts: 52Registered Users
    When my hair gets long enough I'll try the zig zag part. I use clip-ins to cover up all my thinness or just throw on a half wig.
  • mythreebabesmythreebabes Posts: 19Registered Users
    I am also thining on the top and temples mostly, but I can feel it's thining everywhere, it's so odd I wish I knew why it's falling out. I have heard having your hair long when it's thin isn't the best look for it, but my goal is to get it to my lower back anyway, I just hope I can reach that goal because of the thinness I will try some of your suggestions thanks!!
    I got my daddy's waves :happy10:
    Type-2b?,normal-high porosity,normal elasticity, fine-medium texture,some course auburn, more curly in back and bottom layer with 2 spirals underneath...yea CG!!!!!!
    Low-poo-JC Gentle Lather poo
    Co wash-GNTN, Suave Naturals coconut
    Rinse out-OA GPB
    Leave-in-JC aloeba
    Stylers-HESMU
    Likes-olive oil, castor oil, vinegar rinse, wrapping in a silk scarf at night
    Dislikes-too much jojoba oil, coconut milk DT
    When I got my hair cut last week, I saw that my salon is carrying the new Bosley salon line of products. I just saw them in passing as I was leaving, but they had a whole basket of stuff, so there must be styling and treatment products as well as shampoo and conditioner - I definitely registered the latter two. I didn't check out ingredients, so I have no idea whether they're CG or not.

Just thought I'd mention it as probably everyone has seen a Bosley hair loss commercial at one time or another, and I didn't know about the salon line before this . . . .

ETA: I just found this about it:
    Another new system to hit the market is The Bosley Professional Strength line. It includes daily-use products, styling products and healthy hair treatments for color-treated and non-color-treated hair, all of which offer a solution to help treat thinning hair and increase volume and thickness. The daily-use line of shampoos, conditioners and thickening treatments is divided into two smaller collections for specific hair needs: Bos-Defense Hair Care for normal to fine hair and minor thinning and hair loss and Bos-Revive Hair Care for visibly thinning hair and significant hair loss.

All Bosley products are vegan and completely free of parabens, phthalates and sulfates. The range also features the LifeXtend Complex, an exclusive blend of ocean marine, plant and biogenic ingredients that create the ideal conditions needed for hair preservation, growth and restoration. The complex is the cornerstone of the Bosley Professional Strength line, according to the company.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't know if anyone's posted about this yet, but this stuff really works!

http://www.xfusionhair.info/

It sprinkles in and grabs on to the hair, creating the illusion of much thicker hair. I was amazed at the difference it made on my mother's hair. You have to be careful putting it in the part, but it works amazingly at the roots.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,278Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    can hair be combed through after application?
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ondulee wrote: »
    can hair be combed through after application?

I don't think so. But it's supposed to cling to your hair and stay put until you wash it again. I think you're supposed to sprinkle it in and leave your hair alone. It's pretty foolproof in application, though. I watched the stylist put it in my mom's hair, and she didn't do anything but sprinkle. But my mom's hair looked SO much thicker.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
    wavyblonde wrote: »

It sprinkles in and grabs on to the hair, creating the illusion of much thicker hair. I was amazed at the difference it made on my mother's hair. You have to be careful putting it in the part, but it works amazingly at the roots.

I have not used this brand but I have a bottle of Nanogen fibers for those "scalpy" days. Some brands work better (cling ,stay put etc).
  • kayaellekayaelle Posts: 301Registered Users
    wavyblonde wrote: »

I have not used this brand but I have a bottle of Nanogen fibers for those "scalpy" days. Some brands work better (cling ,stay put etc).

Heather - where do you get something like this... brands, etc? I'm really interested!
    Rhode Island - New England curly
    2c-3a/F/i (Fia), shoulder length, need it cut!
    Mod-CG since 10/09 - over 1 year!!

Cleanse: Suave condish, WF 365 lavender poo, soap, BS/ACV
    Leave in: KCKT, CJ CF
    Current winter stylers: CJ SG (HG!), AOMM, Boots, ALWAYS top w/ BRHG
    PT: AOGPB, Emergencee, CJ CF
    Diffuser dependent!
  • LiliputLiliput Posts: 55Registered Users
    I don't know about xfusion, but Nanogen fibres look like ashy bits on my hair (don't know any other way of explaining it). Although the baldness is hidden I look like a have really, really damaged/fry hair.
  • dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Posts: 70Registered Users
    I use this. I have been using it for about two months now. The shampoo and conditioner are amazing, however very spendy. I also have a treatment and follicle booster. I really love the shampoo. It is so light that I can wash everyday if I want to. It makes my scalp tingle & I know something is going on. They are sulfate free, so I am happy about that. I noticed right away that my hair felt better. I have baby hairs all over, but I have no idea if that is new growth or broken hair. I wanted to chronicle this via youtube, but never did for some reason.

When I went in to get it, they had a consultant there with a microscope who looked all over my head to see how many hairs were growing. On the top of my head, I only had about one - two growing per follicle. On the back, four- five- which is what you want. They said that they were going to give me a call in a few months when they come back in & we are going to take a look again. I will have to remember to post about it.
    auntnett wrote: »
    When I got my hair cut last week, I saw that my salon is carrying the new Bosley salon line of products. I just saw them in passing as I was leaving, but they had a whole basket of stuff, so there must be styling and treatment products as well as shampoo and conditioner - I definitely registered the latter two. I didn't check out ingredients, so I have no idea whether they're CG or not.

Just thought I'd mention it as probably everyone has seen a Bosley hair loss commercial at one time or another, and I didn't know about the salon line before this . . . .

ETA: I just found this about it:
    Another new system to hit the market is The Bosley Professional Strength line. It includes daily-use products, styling products and healthy hair treatments for color-treated and non-color-treated hair, all of which offer a solution to help treat thinning hair and increase volume and thickness. The daily-use line of shampoos, conditioners and thickening treatments is divided into two smaller collections for specific hair needs: Bos-Defense Hair Care for normal to fine hair and minor thinning and hair loss and Bos-Revive Hair Care for visibly thinning hair and significant hair loss.

All Bosley products are vegan and completely free of parabens, phthalates and sulfates. The range also features the LifeXtend Complex, an exclusive blend of ocean marine, plant and biogenic ingredients that create the ideal conditions needed for hair preservation, growth and restoration. The complex is the cornerstone of the Bosley Professional Strength line, according to the company.
    ~Kristen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
    My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file