My sister wants makeup brushes for xmas...

lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
...and I have no idea what to get.

Her Christmas list says "natural bristle makeup brush set." I don't use fancy pants brushes and I really have no idea why she wants them since she doesn't really wear all that much makeup, but the girl wants makeup brushes, so that's what she'll get.

Ideally I don't want to spend too too much and it would be nice to get a "kit" instead of picking out individual brushes from somewhere.

I know you ladies will know what to get. Bring on the suggestions!
Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd say Sephora.

What's your budget?

Do you have a cosmetics store outlet near you? Some outlets sell Mac stuff and maybe they'd have some good deals on brushes there.

In all honesty, I'm not sure Mac (or any other fancy pants brushes) are worth full price. They can be about $20 or more. Sephora's are a bit cheaper. In terms of quality, Target and the craft stores have better brushes IMO. But that probably won't be "gifty" enough for Christmas.

Sephora may have kits. If not, they have all of their brushes lined up in a display. You could get sis a fluffy blush brush, small eyeshadow brush, eyeliner brush, eyebrow brush, and a lip brush. That would make a nice set.

Good luck!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    sigma makeup brushes are supposed to be good for the price as well.

sigmamakeup.com
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    I like Sonia Kashuk brushes from Target. I'm not a huge make-up person, but they work well for me and last forever. I think they have some cute gift sets this year, too.
  • lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Thanks ladies. We have a Sephora here, and an Ulta. I may go check Ulta first since it's not at the mall, but if they don't have anything one of the Sephora kits will be great. If all else fails, we have a MAC counter at the mall too.

Thanks again for the help!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
    the MAC brush kits sell out pretty fast - i'd be surprized if you could still find one at this point.
    My blog:

• *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    I second the Sigma brushes. They are Mac dupes but not as expensive. I have them all and I love them. They works so well. I've even put aside my precious Bare Escentuals brushes for them .

www.sigmashopping.com is where you can get them.

You can get her the entire kit and the brush roll! I bet she will like them since they are definitely comparable to MAC.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • jamaica68jamaica68 Registered Users Posts: 85
    Essence of Beauty brushes are available at CVS and the brushes get great reviews and are not expensive.
  • Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Registered Users Posts: 268
    jamaica68 wrote: »
    Essence of Beauty brushes are available at CVS and the brushes get great reviews and are not expensive.

Second that! While the more expensive brushes are better, if you need some cheap brushes, these work just fine. I have an eyeshadow brush from there, and it works just as good as the pricier ones.

Some makeup brushes you'll need:

1. Eyeliner brush--this is a thin brush with a slanted edge

2. Big fluffy brush--not much more to say

3. Differen't sized eyeshadow blushes--not much more to say

4. Tweezers--makeup is nothing if you don't have well groomed eyebrows!

5. Eyebrow brush--one side is a "comb" to brush your eyebrows, and then the other side is a more brush looking thing so you can style your eyebrows
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there
    ...the more expensive brushes are better...

this really isn't true.

i've had some of my art supply store brushes just as long as my "good" makeup brushes and they are still in fantastic shape.
    My blog:

• Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Registered Users Posts: 268
    oopsies! I meant while more expensive brushes are not necessarily better
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    sigma brushes are friggin fantastic if you want to get something along the lines of mac (numbers and all)!!! i also love sonia kashuk (target) and essence of beauty (cvs or other drugstores). i don't like ecotools. they don't last long (for me).
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    rouquinne wrote: »
    ...the more expensive brushes are better...

this really isn't true.

i've had some of my art supply store brushes just as long as my "good" makeup brushes and they are still in fantastic shape.
    i don't like art supply brushes. while they may be comparable to a cosmetic brush, the handles are just too long (imo).
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i have many brushes with handles the same length as those that come from makeup companies.

i think there's only 2 or 3 in my collection that i've had to cut and sand down. and it's worth the amount i saved to go to the "bother" of cutting them down.
    My blog:

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    i know it's LATE but japonesque brushes at target are GREAT and they often are on sale. there are ulta coupons floating aroudn for 20% off you whole purchase....you can also get her their brand brush cleaner. i LOVE it. i put some is a cheapie spray bottle and use it to clean brushes in between my brush cleanings with baby shampoo.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file