CurlTalk

Consistently awesome hair technique...

Hey everyone, I posted before that I can pretty much get anything to work in my hair, so what I've been trying to find is a technique that will give me good hair, day after day. I think I found it, so I thought I would share....

I do my normal shower routine, No-Poo, then One C, and I use a little One C as a leave in.

I then rake through whichever products I'm using that day: gel, curl cream, etc. Then I scrunch. I should mention that I do this entire process upside down, so that I get root lift. Then I use a t-shirt to scrunch the excess moisture out.

Then I start diffusing, on medium heat. Once my hair is about 50% dry, I scrunch in some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], regardless of what I put in my hair that day, I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] at this point. I only scrunch in about a quarter size amount, but my hair is really short. Then I go back to diffusing, but this time I do it on high heat, and I diffuse until my hair is completely dry.

When I SOTC, I don't even need anything to finish my hair with, i.e., pomade, MirrorCurls, etc. I get amazing clumps, volume, and shine.

I will post pics asap!

:blob2::cheers:

PA270065-vi.jpg
PA270065-vi.jpg
PA270069-vi.jpg
How's My Hair?
Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
SMB Photography

Comments

• smasters467smasters467 Posts: 527Registered Users
    bump. Pics are up.
    How's My Hair?
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    SMB Photography
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Great hair!! Love the cut and color.
    And holy cannoli you have gorgeous eyes!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    Thank you! :happy3: I love your curl pattern!
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    your hair is great! icon7.gif
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyhairmichuk%2F" class="Popup
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Thank you! :)
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • sexyspiralssexyspirals Posts: 99Registered Users
    Your hair looks great, I'm so glad you've found something that consistently works! And slightly off topic, you have really amazing skin!!!

Hair type: Fine, fairly porous, shoulder length when curly. Probably a 3a or 3b with tight ringlets now that it's getting longer. Hair loves aloe, hates glycerin.

Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily (my HG conditioner!)
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek and Shine, Trevor Sorbie curl conditioner (UK only, unfortunately)
    Stylers: KCCC, AG Re:coil, TIGI mousse, but open to suggestions!
    Gels: BRHG (my one and only)

CG since 03/28/09
    Aw, thank you!
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I wanted to thank you smasters I've been looking for this thread to say so! While I don't use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] when my hair is 50% dry I do use Gel. I wouldn't have thought to ever do this, I figured putting gel in your hair when it was almost dry was an invitation for frizz :lol: This has worked very well for me & I've done it about 4 different times now! Thanks so much & your hair is fabulous!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    I'm so glad it worked for you DEL!! I don't know why it works, or how it doesn't create frizz, but it's great. It makes my curl pattern more even and tighter. I've also done it with gel, but always a hard hold one, and it works just as well. I just like the way [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] smells. Thank you for the hair compliment!!! You're hair is fabulous!!
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    Question for those of us who are percentage retarded and can't decide when hair is 50% dry:

I use "squish" (sound hair makes when scrunched when wet) factor to determine how wet/dry my hair is. I'm assuming that at 50% dry, there would be no more squish, but the general wet appearance still. Is that somewhat correct?
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    I do the same thing with FSG, and it works flawlessly every time! So glad you found a routine that works, smasters. You, and your hair, are very beautiful.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    Laura Lee: I just diffuse until my hair starts getting crunchy, then scrunch in the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or gel. I don't think this method requires any precision or timing. I diffuse until dry, so I just do it at my halfway point. HTH :thumright:

OperaCurls: Thank you!! BTW your curl pattern is awesome, and I love your color! Total curl envy!

Note to all you gorgeous curlies: I think this method would pretty much work with any routine, as long as whatever you scrunch in at around the halfway point is something that dries crunchy: Gel, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], FSG, DOC, etc... For me, when I diffuse some of my ends always get fluffy from my diffuser touching them while drying, and this takes them back to crunchy. It basically is like adding a second layer of hold and crunch, so that your curl pattern is frozen in place better, and it helps enhance the curl. When I finally SOTC, my hair is virtually frizz free and my curls are super defined.:cheers:
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    Ah that makes it clearer. See, I don't always diffuse to the same point, and I rarely diffuse to totally dry, so figuring out where halfway is would be difficult for me. Thank you. I shall try tomorrow :)
    Since you don't diffuse until dry, try diffusing as you normally would, then scrunch in the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or gel, and then diffuse another 2-5 minutes so that it sets the product and dries it a little. :)

I don't always do it at 50% dry, sometimes 70-80%. I think this technique is relatively fool-proof as long as you aren't scrunching in a ridiculous amount of product. You don't really want to use so much product that your entire head is wet again, basically just dampen the ends and anywhere that's poufy.
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Good post. I actually do this quite a bit when I see that my hair needs a little more oomph after I've diffused for awhile and it does work quite well. And I agree - gorgeous eyes!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    I put gel in my hair too when it's starting to dry cause it helps the front part of my hair maintain a curl pattern (which is hard for me to do). It works for me too.
    Aww, thanks msgiblet! I can't take credit for my eyes, I got 'em from my Mama.
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Both You and your eyes. Oh and i agree, you have flawless skin.
    Quick question. If I'm already a KCCC user, can i use it in my regular routine and then add it in again at 50% dry? or no KCCC to start with?
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
    Wow, your hair looks great. I'm going to try this tonight. Thanks for the tip!
    Hey Wavy! Thank you so much for the compliments! :happy3: You can follow your routine, and then scrunch it in again. I don't think it would have any effect on thr final result to use it twice. I double dip with my gel sometimes, using it first and with the 2nd application. BTW, you and your hair are gorgeous!
    How's My Hair?

SMB Photography
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    I do this sometimes if I see a frizz patch forming or an area with less shrinkage or sometimes all over and it does work! I should do this more often! I have been using my Komaza coconut pudding for this since it is not sticky and gets everything to clump and shrink nicely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    I do this sometimes if I see a frizz patch forming or an area with less shrinkage or sometimes all over and it does work! I should do this more often! I have been using my Komaza coconut pudding for this since it is not sticky and gets everything to clump and shrink nicely.

Ooh, I'll have to try this! It hadn't occurred to me to use the Komaza pudding...
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • CurlyQMomCurlyQMom Posts: 203Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I wanted to thank you smasters I've been looking for this thread to say so! While I don't use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] when my hair is 50% dry I do use Gel. I wouldn't have thought to ever do this, I figured putting gel in your hair when it was almost dry was an invitation for frizz :lol: This has worked very well for me & I've done it about 4 different times now! Thanks so much & your hair is fabulous!

Really, no frizz? So DEL when you do it do you apply gel to sopping wet hair and then again as others are saying?

I tend to stay away from application unless my hair is soaking wet in fear of frizz as well. Going to have to try this tomorrow, methinks.

Also smasters - I agree - gorgeous eyes!
    Sulfate & Silcone Free since July 2009
    2C-3A normal to high (ends) porosity, medium texture, lower end of med density
    Currently experimenting with Water Only Washing and dropping stylers

Negative on: AOHR, mineral oil
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurlyQMom%2F" class="Popup
  • CurlyQMomCurlyQMom Posts: 203Registered Users
    Also, how much gel are you longer haired gals scrunching in at the 50% dry point?
    Sulfate & Silcone Free since July 2009
    2C-3A normal to high (ends) porosity, medium texture, lower end of med density
    Currently experimenting with Water Only Washing and dropping stylers

Negative on: AOHR, mineral oil
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurlyQMom%2F" class="Popup
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    CurlyQMom wrote: »
    DEL2C wrote: »

Really, no frizz? So DEL when you do it do you apply gel to sopping wet hair and then again as others are saying?

I tend to stay away from application unless my hair is soaking wet in fear of frizz as well. Going to have to try this tomorrow, methinks.

Also smasters - I agree - gorgeous eyes!
    I usually dry to about 75% also so when I add gel at the 1/2 way point I'm diffusing 5mins or so.

Depending on what products I'm using will dictate whether they go on sopping wet hair. Because of Opera's thread (another thread I meant to post on sorry Opera) FSG has finally worked for me this Winter because I don't apply it sopping wet.

KCCC, DMMG, DEVA, CIAB works best for me on very wet hair. Most of the creams I use will go on lightly blotted hair. I've been meaning to try CIAB on blotted hair because that's how WHC uses it and I'm curious how this will work for me...

I use some FOTE or Deva Angel about a qtr. size scrunched in or I'll mix BRHG with FOTE if I'm needing extra hold. Straight BRHG was too thick & didn't work as well.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    I tried this today and love that I have no frizz, but hair feels a little producty. I did an Amla and coconut milk treatment, cowashed with Tigi MM (for the slip to remove amla), used Biolage CB as rinse out and a dab for leave in, then FSG. At about 50% diffused, I scrunched in a nickle size dab of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. Holy moley...curly!!! I think the combo of the many rich products today caused the "producty" issue. I'm anxious to try this with other products, especially Komaza CP.
    smasters, you have lovely hair and ITA, beautiful eyes...you look awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    What a good idea! I'll definitely be trying this later!
  • *Angela**Angela* Posts: 251Registered Users
    I did this yesterday and today with excellent results both days.

Used VO5 as a leave-in and then raked-in Biotera gel. Dried hair (without diffuser) to about 50% dry and then scrunched-in Eco-Styler Krystal and let it air dry the rest of the way. I have soft, bouncy curls with virtually no frizz.
    3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Thanks Del2C for linking this thread. I hadn't read it before.

I've been doing this as well. In particular with Spiral Solutions. I do everything normal and then I diffuse about 5 mintes..it's enough to get most of the squish out but not so as it's crunchy at all yet and I scrunch in another bit of her Firm Hold Gel. Since the FHG isn't producty at all and not sticky this works really well and "sets" the hair so nicely. LOVE this technique!!!

I tried it once a long time ago with BRHG but didn't work..too sticky and made my hair producty and gross. I think because the FHG is so no producty this works great for me!:flower:
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • TexaskurlTexaskurl Posts: 124Registered Users
    Smasters, LOVE your curls and eyes, too!!!!!

I can't wait to try this. I'm going to try it tomorrow evening. Will post results Wed. morning...
    fine hair, not sure of porosity.
    Deva Care Lo-Poo
    Rinse-outs: AO GPB, JC
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance (a dime's worth)
    Style cream: KCCC, CJ CCCC-lite, & BRHG
    Protein Treatment: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
    DT: SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix

Holy Grails: AO GPB, SS Repairing Protein Treatment, KCCC, & BRHG