menstural cup?

itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
i just started my period again after having my son, and needless to say, i didn't miss it. i didn't miss the tampons and the pads. i had heard about the menstural cup right before i got pregnant...now that i had to run out to buy new supplies because i started today, i was thinking i'd find out about the menstral cup some more.

anybody use a menstural cup?
how do you like it?
what brand do you use?
are you a normal/light/heavy flow?
is it easier then tampons?
do you wear a pad or pantyliner still?

thanks in advance!

edited because i can't spell!
3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    anybody use a menstural cup?
    how do you like it?
    what brand do you use?
    are you a normal/light/heavy flow?
    is it easier then tampons?
    do you wear a pad or pantyliner still?

• hobbshobbs Posts: 327Registered Users
    I use a DivaCup. I used to use a Keeper, but I let it soak in some water for too long and the rubber started deteriorating. Also, my skin would become irritated when I used it so I switched to the silicone DivaCup. I like that it's clear so you can see how much is in it. I can't say enough good things about them!

I find them so much more convenient than tampons or pads. I always hated pads, they never quite worked for me and felt like a diaper. Tampons sometimes didn't work, and if I was too dry then it would hurt, I didn't like the idea of bleach and chemicals being on the cotton, didn't want to deal with TSS if I left it in overnight, and sometimes the cotton would come off in little bits and I think that's probably no good. With a cup, there's no absorption, it's just catching the blood, so you can even leave it in all day and there's no danger. It's reusable, so there's no waste. Great for swimming, biking, anything.

I don't use a pantiliner at all. Sometimes, if I don't put it in properly, it'll leak a bit, but that only happened when I first got it and hadn't quite gotten the hang of it yet. As far as being easy to use, it's difficult to say. For the first month or two, it's quite difficult, just because certain methods of insertion work better with some people than others, etc., but once you figure out what works for you it's really easy. It gets me so excited when people ask about these! :lol: I just think they're great and wish that more people would be open to the idea - I was 18 when I started using it and any of the (few) people I talked to about it were pretty grossed out, mainly because yes, you can get blood on your hands. And you definitely have to be pretty comfortable with yourself.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I use a Diva cup and love it for all the reasons stated above. I would say it is just as easy as a tampon once you get the hang of it, but it was a little more tricky in the beginning to figure out the best way to put it in.
    I have pretty heavy flow and it handles it.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    I use a Diva Cup during the day, and I use washable/reusable pads (Gladrags brand) at night on the few days I'm heavy enough to need anything at night.

It works much better for me than tampons, which are very irritating for me. I'm not sure how much cheaper it is, as I wouldn't need anything near a box of tampons monthly. More like a box of tampons ever 3 or 4 months. So the money savings for me would take more like 2 years, but it's worth it. Keeps me dry during the day without being something harsh and irritating.

ETA: It is fantastic for travel, and when I travel, I just take the Diva cup and use it round the clock.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Where do you find the Diva cup?
    ________
    SweetySasha live
  • hobbshobbs Posts: 327Registered Users

I think you can buy it online somewhere, but I got mine at our local environmental shop. I've also seen them in health food stores and the like.
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    http://www.gladrags.com/ carries them.

In Atlanta, a feminist bookstore carries them.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I use a Divacup. I do consider it to be convenient and like the environmental aspects of a reusable cup but to be honest I'm not finding it totally comfortable yet. Some days I don't even know its there, but other days it pinches and I just can't wait to take it out. Its only been 4 cycles and I think I'm still learning how to use it properly. I'm also still too nervous to remove it if I'm not at home (I'm worried that I'm going to spill the contents all over the place)
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bought a divacup to try out whenever my period returns. I hope it works as well for me as you ladies.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First of all, DarkAngel, xander is absolutely adorable. As my mom would have said, I could just eat him up!

This thread is great. I've always hated tampons. As some one else said they can be irritating. And, wouldn't it be cool if using the DivaCup actually cut down on the flow. I've now googled DivaCup, and it looks like I can get it at Whole Foods. I'm going to head there on Thursday and see if they have it. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a Divacup. I do consider it to be convenient and like the environmental aspects of a reusable cup but to be honest I'm not finding it totally comfortable yet. Some days I don't even know its there, but other days it pinches and I just can't wait to take it out. Its only been 4 cycles and I think I'm still learning how to use it properly. I'm also still too nervous to remove it if I'm not at home (I'm worried that I'm going to spill the contents all over the place)
    Another Divacup user here. Just wanted to add that it definitely takes a while to get used to it, but it's totally worth it. mad scientist, you'll probably be fine with it soon. Just remember, if it hurts or is pinching, it's in wrong. Just take it out and try again. [This pinching thing can happen with tampons too, in case tampon users are wondering what we're talking about.]

It took a while for me to figure this out, but my cervix must be crooked or something, because in order for it to work and feel most comfortable, I have to angle mine to the right quite a lot. Also, their instructions about pinching the base and turning it to get a good snug fit did *not* work for me. I can't turn that thing at all once it's in there. I wind up just giving it a good wiggle.

It only leaks when I'm totally neglectful of emptying it.

There are so many things I like about it, but I think my favorite is I don't have to think ahead of time about my period. I just put it in and go. What I need is always with me.

http://www.divacup.com/

You can buy it directly from the manufacturer at the above website, or google and see if you can find it cheaper at other sites. Some progressive healthfood stores sell them too. My dream would be if menstrual cups were readily available in all drug and grocery stores, so big pharmaceutical companies wouldn't own the feminine hygiene market anymore and make women think there's nothing else available but their crappy products.

Mooncup is another brand of menstrual cup. Here's a website that compares Diva, Keeper and Mooncup for size in case anyone is interested:

http://www.busybusymomma.com/MC.html

And, a link to some different ways to fold the cup for insertion...for anyone who might be having trouble with that:

http://www.mummysmilk.com/info/index.php?id=27
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Redcatwaves - thanks for the link. I'm going to have to try out a different fold insertion method.

Wildhair - thanks for your encouragement - I agree that tampons can be just as "pinchy". I trimmed the end of the divacup and that helped, but I need to follow your advice and just take it out and reinsert if it does pinch.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I did not know there was such thing as a menstrual cup but now I am intrigued. How often do you have to take it out and empty? Is it easy to remove?

Has anyone experienced irritation from the cup? I have that problem every month with tampons/pantiliners and would love something that didn't cause irritation.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    I don't normally hit on this board, but I saw this and just had to respond. I used the Instead brand (found mine at WalMart) for about six months. I had a VERY heavy flow and had to use a pad too (normal for me). Instead is disposable so there was no cleaning or anything. I really loved them - much less irritation for me.

I was having such a hard time I ended up having a hystorectomy in May, so I don't use them anymore - Yippy!
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
    I did not know there was such thing as a menstrual cup but now I am intrigued. How often do you have to take it out and empty? Is it easy to remove?

Has anyone experienced irritation from the cup? I have that problem every month with tampons/pantiliners and would love something that didn't cause irritation.

You would empty it about the same amount of times as you would change a tampon...usually more frequently on the first day or two, and then just once or twice a day for the rest of the days. After a cycle or two, you'll get to know your body and rhythmn and will probably just instinctively know when it's time to empty. It's very easy to remove...just takes a little practice.

I don't get irritation from the cup. I used to get horrible irritation from tampons...all that dragging...ugh. This is probably TMI, but with tampons, I would get so sore, I'd have to postpone sex for a few days after my period was over just so I could heal. The cup is smooth and non-absorbant. It causes no drag.
    I used the Instead brand (found mine at WalMart) for about six months. I had a VERY heavy flow and had to use a pad too (normal for me). Instead is disposable so there was no cleaning or anything. I really loved them - much less irritation for me.

The Instead cup is very different from the Diva or Keeper cups. Instead is modeled after diaphragms, and is supposed to sit up high against the cervix. As anyone who has used a diaphram knows, fit is very important. That area of the canal can vary in size from woman to woman and while diaphragms come in a multitude of sizes, Instead only comes in one size, and it's pretty small. Therefore, if Instead doesn't fit a woman, she's out of luck. I had lots of leaking with Instead, so I never used them much.

The Diva cup sits very low in the canal, an area that isn't so size dependent. Therefore it fits most women without leaking.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    okay...lets talk details.

lets say i'm at work, and i need to empty it.
    i'm in a bathroom stall of a public bathroom in my office. i can't exactly rinse it out like the instructions say. what do you do? do you try to make due with toilet paper? do you bring a paper towel in with you? do you not wipe it off at all? no way am i going to dip it in the toilet water (i know toilet water is clean, but i can't gurentee the toilet itself is clean...so i'm not messing with that!)

this was my only concer with ordering it. that and the fit. but seems like everybody loves theirs!

oh, and how do you clean it off when you're done for the month? warm soapy water? dishwasher? (hahaha) or what?

and does it make sense to order 2? do you keep a spare somewhere?

oh, and how is the smell? (tmi?) i HATE the smell tampons cause. and i never use anything scented, because i figure that's more chemicals...

i really hope this works for me. i have to use a tampon and a pad. i can only use super absorbancy OB tampons, because i've had any other ones with applicators get so full, and then they actually FALL OUT. yeah, and that was before i had a baby....i'm so tired of the tampons. it just doesn't feel right. all that cotton/bleach/stuff...i get something similar to a yeast infection but not quite every month because the tampons throw off my chemistry or something....i hate it.....i'm very much all about being a one trick pony.
    as long as it works!
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    oh, and darkangel?
    your baby is ADORABLE! can't believe how big he is!

and no fair that you haven't gotten your period yet!!!
    i thought with the breastfeeding i'd be free of it until owen was a year old...no such luck! :(

can't say that i missed it while it was gone...
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    You can wipe it off with toilet paper, or you can carry a wet wipe with you in your purse or pocket and use that. It really isn't as messy as it sounds once you get used to it. No, you don't have to dip it in the toilet!

I soak mine well with a vinegar rinse at the end of the month and boil it every so often. Boiling it keeps it from getting too discolored. It never occurred to me to put it in the dishwasher, but why not? :lol:

I only have one. They're about $30 so I can't really afford two, but I suppose it would be nice to have one to keep at work.

Doesn't smell like anything that I can tell. It's much less yucky than a tampon or pad, IMO. You can just wash the blood away instead of chucking it in a trash can. It feels a lot more sanitary, too.
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users
    I've been using a Mooncup for about the last year and I love it! I hate tampons, can't stand them, have never been able to stand them but I am completely in love with my Mooncup and would hate to be without it. Sometimes I wear a pantiliner just because I feel safer but I don't really need one.

I have a very heavy flow for one or two days, then it's light. I only have to empty my Mooncup in public on my heaviest days. Once in the middle of the day is all it takes. I wash my hands before entering the stall, empty the cup and put it right back in. Whatever's on there is all my own stuff. Cleaning it with toilet paper would introduce new germs and bits of paper could get left behind so I don't use it. On the cup. I don't use toilet paper on the cup. I do use toilet paper. I'm just saying. :lol:

I wash the cup out with soap and water when I'm at home. Before each new cycle, I boil it for five minutes to make sure it's really, really clean. That's it. It's really very easy and once you experience the freedom, you will not want to go back.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • OhthehairOhthehair Posts: 17Registered Users
    I've been using the Keeper for a year and a half now. In the beginning it was pretty tough and even painful, until I got the stem thingy that you grasp trimmed and rounded and figured out through trial and error how far in the cup needed to go - now I've got all that down and I'm addicted to not worrying about schlepping tampons around! And no chemicals or bleach!

I still wear liners, because I can leak a little until the Keeper settles in just right, but that's ok - I have only one complaint, which is that when I take it out the rim of the cup scrapes against me a bit - especially towards the end when I'm drier - so that I'm sore by the end of the week. Not sure if this is due to the product itself or my technique, though.
    3a-b-c, always tweaking routing...
    okay...lets talk details.

lets say i'm at work, and i need to empty it.
    i'm in a bathroom stall of a public bathroom in my office. i can't exactly rinse it out like the instructions say. what do you do? do you try to make due with toilet paper? do you bring a paper towel in with you? do you not wipe it off at all? no way am i going to dip it in the toilet water (i know toilet water is clean, but i can't gurentee the toilet itself is clean...so i'm not messing with that!)

this was my only concer with ordering it. that and the fit. but seems like everybody loves theirs!

oh, and how do you clean it off when you're done for the month? warm soapy water? dishwasher? (hahaha) or what?

and does it make sense to order 2? do you keep a spare somewhere?

oh, and how is the smell? (tmi?) i HATE the smell tampons cause. and i never use anything scented, because i figure that's more chemicals...

You'd probably only have to empty it during the business day on the first and second day. After that, you'll probably be able to go all day leaving it alone. When in a public restroom, I just empty it and reinsert it without wiping or rinsing it. I've heard some women take a bottle of water in the stall with them, or a baby wipe. I don't bother. Dipping it in toilet water is a disturbing thought, LOL.

At the end of the cycle, I just wash in hot soapy water. You can boil it (or put it in the dishwasher) if you want to. Silicone isn't a good surface for bacteria though, so I don't bother.

I only have 1. It seems to be plenty. I had to buy another one when my then-2-year-old lost my first one, but losing them isn't easy otherwise. And they don't wear out for years and years.

No smell from the Diva. The Keeper is made out of latex rubber, so it does have a slight latex/rubber smell. The Mooncup and Diva are both silicone, so no odor.
  • lawlaw Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok itsjustmeghan

I have the diva cup and my 1st two days are very very heavy. I empty it every two hours no matter where I am (work-mall-home-). I use a thin pad at night the 1st night in case of leakage but it usually isn't needed.

At work I go in the bathroom wash my hands, pull it out, dump it, and put it back in. I use to carry baby wipes and wipe it off but there isn't really anything on the outside. Some times there is a little under the rim and I use tissue to wipe it off if I feel like it, but usually i just put it back. At home I do the rinse or soapy water wash every time. After the heavy day I empty it once (twice a day max). I forget it is there.

When my cycle is done I scrub it. I have a nail brush I purchased just for my cup, and then I boil it. I put it in it's little bag and throw it in my purse for next time.

I have two cups one for my purse & one that stays at home (my back up cup). I figured with my luck someone would stop making the darn thing and i will loose the one I have and be SOL. I have had the back up cup for at least a year now and have not taken it out of the package.

It took me about three cycles to get the technique perfect for me.

There is no smell at all. There may be discoloration after a while though.

Does not leak unless it is super full and I have not been paying attention at all. Not it's fault. My fault.
    "You Tied that thing up outside?" said Kepler. "What if he got hungry and ate a mailman or a kindergarten class or something? The least you could do is tie a decent knot." Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry
    When I'm in public, I just dump it. I only rinse it out and soap it up when I'm at home.

I only have to deal with it in public one, maybe two times a cycle. Small price to pay for the many ways it makes my period easier.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    So there is nothing like this out there that can be used during intercourse?
    Wouldn't that be great?

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Instead works during intercourse.

The Divacup does not. Pointy pointy. Ouch! :shock:
    Code:
    Wouldn't that be great?

Actually...a diaphragm works great for that. And, since the Instead cup was modeled after diaphragms, it works pretty well too.
    There's a box of Instead cups in my boudoir ;)

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Code:
    Wouldn't that be great?

Actually...a diaphragm works great for that. And, since the Instead cup was modeled after diaphragms, it works pretty well too.
    There's a box of Instead cups in my boudoir ;)

:wink:

hmmm...is there something that can be recycled instead of thrown away after usage? I don't believe you can save & reuse the Instead...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

hmmm...is there something that can be recycled instead of thrown away after usage? I don't believe you can save & reuse the Instead...

Diaphragms are reusable for several years. They need to be purchased with an Rx from a doctor though.

Instead comes in a box of 24 for about $8. But, they're pretty sturdy...I'm sure you could wash and reuse and have enough for a couple year's worth of period nooky.

[/code]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file