What exactly is tofu?

Amanda_78Amanda_78 Posts: 4Registered Users
I tried tofu for the first time a few days ago. I ate at an Asian restaurant with a vegetarian friend and she recommended it in a Thai dish. I thought it was great! I'm not a vegetarian and don't plan on being one anytime soon although, I am trying to cut back on meat a little.

So what exactly is this stuff? I heard it is good for you...but why? Fill me in! icon_confused.gif

Comments

• fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    It's bean curd (soybeans, I believe). Alone it has no real taste, but it easily picks up the flavors of whatever you are cooking it with, so it's pretty versatile. It's good for you because it's a low-fat, no cholesterol source of protein . It comes in different levels of firmness, depending on what you want to use it for.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the texture!
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    tofu is made from soybeans. imagine the process of cheese making, but instead of using milk you use soymilk.

it's a good source of protien and it's relatively low in fat. However, some studies have linked consumption of soy to the supression of thyroid functionthyroid function. Just something to think about. Of course everything in moderation.

I had tofu stir fry today. It was quite delish!
    hello.world.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webjockey:
    [QB]tofu is made from soybeans. imagine the process of cheese making, but instead of using milk you use soymilk.

it's a good source of protien and it's relatively low in fat. However, some studies have linked consumption of soy to the supression of thyroid functionthyroid function. Just something to think about. Of course everything in moderation.
    QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, I love soy, and am now concerned that I should cut back. Since I eat seafood and beans too, as a protein source, my consumption of tofu isn't as high as it could be (since I eat no meat). But it is worrisome to read that soy may be problematic...
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
    I wouldn't be too concerned unless you have a medical condition. It's not like you are eating tofu for breakfast lunch and dinner. Just like you wouldn't eat beef or chicken all day long, it's about having a balanced diet.
    hello.world.
    more disturbing tofu facts I found out today from a friend:

Too much tofu makes you stoopid.
    http://www.ohsu.edu/som-lipid/vol152/tofu.htm
    hello.world.
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    I definitely agree with taking everything in moderation. I had recently started consuming more soy products since I have switched to a vegetarian diet, (I especially ate a lot of the fake meat analogs containing soy protein), and I had to cut down on it because I found out that the soy was making my cycle last wayyyy longer. Soy is a phytoestrogen (plant estrogen) and it has the same structure and behaves in some of the same ways as human estrogen.

About the websites/articles, I feel that there may be some truth to their claims but it kind of hard to tell because they seem so biased (especially the soyonline website) it would be interesting to know who they are being funded by or are affiliated with. But I will definitely have to do more research on it.
    33abhqq.gif
  • kurlykittykurlykitty Posts: 162Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webjockey:
    Too much tofu makes you stoopid.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, this explains why Asians are such dunces. icon_rolleyes.gif

Good lord. The *study* could not find a causative factor, only a link, and it is hardly enough information to make the above.
    "Beware the man of one book." --Latin proverb
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'll keep my attempts at sarcasm and wit at a minimum from now on

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code
    <pre> I thought it was funny </pre>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file