best cut for our hair

canelacanela Posts: 218Registered Users
girls, in your experience.

what is the best hair cut (ease and big hair reduction) for cottony, thick hair? layers or just a blund cut?
Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
"Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen

Comments

• brwn_i'd_wndrbrwn_i'd_wndr Posts: 23Registered Users
    Bumping in hopes of helpful responses...
    THE TRANSITION PERIOD IS OVER- MY HAIR IS FREE AND I FEEL GREAT!!!
  • lalapixielalapixie Posts: 242Registered Users
    i would like to hear responses too i'm also curious about different cutting methods because it seems most stylists straighten the hair and then cut but i've always thought how are you gonna get curls cut precisely that way especially when different parts shrink and curl differently, i've only had one salon cut as a natural and he did it that way and it was ok i guess, but just curious if there is another opinion???
    violently happy
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I've had many different cuts. First off, I have multi-textured multi-density hair. So the hair closest to the nape is a looser curl and much thinner than the hair on the crown - which is kinky and dense.

My stylist cuts my hair wet and dry. Sometimes he goes over my hair with scissors 2x during the session, and sometimes 3 times. He prefers it when I go to the salon with my hair styled as I normally would style it (curly) so he can see the texture/shrinkage/shape of the hair. Once it's washed/conditioned/styled and then dried, he then looks at it again and makes any final adjustments to the cut.

It's a bit lengthy (and pricey accoring to some), but my cuts last long, and it grows out nice and even.

Bad cuts I've received include straigntening hair before cutting and only cutting the ends like a barber. It may have looked really good when I left the salon, but it would grow out crooked/awkward.
  • ConcernedCoilsConcernedCoils Posts: 106Registered Users
    If you have highly textured hair it usually works out better to trim flatironed hair if you only need a trim, but if you want a style, I agree with webbie that letting the stylist see your normal hairstyle makes it easier for them to give a great dry curly cut.
    products:
    co-washing with any Aubrey Organics product
    Olive Oil +/under leave-in for super soft hair!
    Whipped Karite/Shea or Avocado butter leave-in
    Also lots of water, pilates and meditation
    so when you guys have gotten the hair cut while curly did they layer or do a blunt cut, and would you say dry or wet is better???

webbie where do you get your haircuts???

concerned coils that makes sense cause yeah i'm thinking if you need a whole new shape to straighten then cut doesnt seem accurate but i could see how if you just need a trim it would be ok but i still dont think its absolutely necessary
    violently happy
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    The folks at Christo's 5th ave have been cutting my hair for the last 5 (I think) cuts. I try to get a cut every 6 months or so. This last time I lopped off quite a bit.

As for wet vs dry - I think it depends on the stylist. Christo cuts my hair wet then dry. Cypriano did a dry then wet.
    cool i was thinking of going there for a cut, plus i'm going to cosmetology school and was looking to apprentice at a salon that doesnt straighten the hair first... thanks
    The folks at Christo's 5th ave have been cutting my hair for the last 5 (I think) cuts. I try to get a cut every 6 months or so. This last time I lopped off quite a bit.

As for wet vs dry - I think it depends on the stylist. Christo cuts my hair wet then dry. Cypriano did a dry then wet.
    violently happy
  • ConcernedCoilsConcernedCoils Posts: 106Registered Users
    lalapixie wrote:
    so when you guys have gotten the hair cut while curly did they layer or do a blunt cut, and would you say dry or wet is better???

concerned coils that makes sense cause yeah i'm thinking if you need a whole new shape to straighten then cut doesnt seem accurate but i could see how if you just need a trim it would be ok but i still dont think its absolutely necessary

Yeah, but only if you need an even-even trim...

If you're not worried about it being perfectly even, then you can just plait hair in a bunch of 2-strand twists and carefully trim the ends.
    This is what I usually do--But maybe once a year or so I do it the other way to make sure it has uniform length, one side of my hair always grows a little faster than the other, so I stil try to keep it as reasonable even looking as possible...

But right now i'm getting ready to take a growth (no-cut) challenge so, today I had my last 'cut' for the next 16 months and I plan on using protective non-extension styles exclusively to see how that speeds up longterm growth goals. I will be doing light trims (of less than one inch) but only every 8-10 months to maximize growth and since I won't be heat-styling for the next year, i won't need to trim every 6 months
    (or so I think/hope) :roll:

My hair is just below the shoulders now it was way longer, but I am trying to get rid of relaxed ends (albeit gradually, but I decided to take a bigger chunk this time).

So right now i have about 16inches or so of length, but my goal is
    28-inches or more of pure/natural lenght and to maintain it from there on.
    products:
    co-washing with any Aubrey Organics product
    Olive Oil +/under leave-in for super soft hair!
    Whipped Karite/Shea or Avocado butter leave-in
    Also lots of water, pilates and meditation
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lalapixie wrote:

Yeah, but only if you need an even-even trim...

If you're not worried about it being perfectly even, then you can just plait hair in a bunch of 2-strand twists and carefully trim the ends.
    This is what I usually do--But maybe once a year or so I do it the other way to make sure it has uniform length, one side of my hair always grows a little faster than the other, so I stil try to keep it as reasonable even looking as possible...

But right now i'm getting ready to take a growth (no-cut) challenge so, today I had my last 'cut' for the next 16 months and I plan on using protective non-extension styles exclusively to see how that speeds up longterm growth goals. I will be doing light trims (of less than one inch) but only every 8-10 months to maximize growth and since I won't be heat-styling for the next year, i won't need to trim every 6 months
    (or so I think/hope) :roll:

My hair is just below the shoulders now it was way longer, but I am trying to get rid of relaxed ends (albeit gradually, but I decided to take a bigger chunk this time).

So right now i have about 16inches or so of length, but my goal is
    28-inches or more of pure/natural lenght and to maintain it from there on.

ConcernedCoils have you been able to not cut your hair? how's your growth going? i'm debating on whether or not i need a trim. i really don't want to get one. my ends seem fine. i don't use any heat. i'm not sure what the longest time one can go without a trim without experiencing any breakage.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Just make sure the stylist does not use a razor or thinning shears.

Or you will be :( and :evil:.

Good luck!
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file