How old is too old?

LiliputLiliput Registered Users Posts: 55
I had a BC about a month and a half ago. I spoke to my mum (who is a sweetie, except when it comes to going "natural") and I spoke to her about growing my hair long.

She said that since I am getting old (I'll be 35 in dec) maybe a should be looking at a shorter hairstyle, as short hair makes you look younger...uhmmm...:pain10: Don't want to look like a crazy old lady, right? she said :hmph:

Am I too old to have long hair??? Is it true that if I grow my hair long it will make look older??? Please I could use some advice :angry7:

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm old and have long hair. And I plan on being a lot older with long hair. I don't see how long hair makes a person look older. But I'm a cranky old lady and don't care if it does. : )
    You should wear your hair however it makes you happy!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • NalliaNallia Registered Users Posts: 2,979
    I will be 37 next month and am growing out my hair. I say if you want it long grow it long! :)
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • angel29ishangel29ish Registered Users Posts: 800
    When you have beautiful hair and/or waves/curls, why cut them off regardless of your age? Age doesn't matter. It's what you are comfortable and happy with. IMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Registered Users Posts: 268
    No! I think you should either keep it the length you have, or go longer! My ballet teacher has her, yes Grey, hair long, about 3-4 inches past her shoulders. I think it's beautiful! I know when I get gray hairs, I'm not gonna dye it, I think the whole platinum look is very chic at that age! Besides, the old-lady 2 inches all around the head is getting a little old, yes?
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there
  • CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
    35 is old - that's hilarious!

Not sure how to define "old" but I think it's somewhere around 95 - and even saying that feels ageist!

Grow your hair as long as you like and enjoy it!
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I don't think there's any age that is too old for long hair. Your hair would naturally snap off or fall out once you reach a certain age if Nature intented older (not a young, hot 35 year old) ladies to have short hair.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm mid-40's and my hair isn't long enoght yet, but I'm working on it!. I have friends who think that it's not "right" to have long hair and have gray hair and they have told me this. And I just don't care what they think because I am happy with my hair. On most days. :happy3:
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Registered Users Posts: 370
    curls2grow wrote: »
    I'm mid-40's and my hair isn't long enoght yet, but I'm working on it!. I have friends who think that it's not "right" to have long hair and have gray hair and they have told me this. And I just don't care what they think because I am happy with my hair. On most days. :happy3:

It's NEVER too old to have long hair! :happy3:
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • LiliputLiliput Registered Users Posts: 55
    OMG, thanks for the replies!:happy3: I too feel I should be able to grow my curly hair long. As it is curly a pixie cut would be high maintenance. Straightening and flat irons forced me to have a BC so I am not going back to those. I don't want to be the little old lady with "poodle" hair. I have some grays and so what? that is what henna if for.

I am loving the way you girl hold on to your locks (why shouldn't you right?) and I will be holding on to mine :love4::love4:
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    At 76, my mother's hair is well past her waist. She always wears it up, has never colored it, and her last haircut was in the late 1960's. I think of the fortune she has saved on hair care over the years.
    crwritt wrote: »
    At 76, my mother's hair is well past her waist. She always wears it up, has never colored it, and her last haircut was in the late 1960's. I think of the fortune she has saved on hair care over the years.

I bet there is a bunch of young girls green with envy whenever your mum's walks by :wink: The doc said that I did one more thing to my hair and I'd be wearing a wig! I think mums tend to be hyper critical of daughters and they mean well, but... My husband is desperate for me to leave my curls alone. I like them. I think the media always portray curly haired women as being superficial, shallow, tarty (flirty), etc. and that is where all the negativity comes from. IMHO
  • lodylody Registered Users Posts: 334
    When I go to the Over-40s board (from looking at the new posts), I am always amazed by the avatars associated with these over 40 women. Their long curls make them look so young. Some of them, seeing just their hair and part of their faces, I would never have believed them older than me, and I'm 20. Short hair on older women looks terrible, it ages you soooo badly, and I really don't see who can believe it makes you look younger. Keep the long curls. Your mother is out of her mind.
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• lodylody Registered Users Posts: 334
    Oh, and I have to add, some grays aren't that bad, I mean look at jeepcurlygurl, she's proof long curly gray hair looks totally fine!
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    Awww, thanks!!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    I'm 53 and have no intention of cutting mine, in fact, I can't wait until it gets longer! That said, I do have to be careful of how it's styled around my face. When it's flat on top and just hanging there, it can make me look tired. Otherwise, it looks much better longer, and most everyone who knows me agrees.

This whole short hair for older women thing is a relatively recent thing, and you'll notice that it's mostly pre-baby boomers who seem to have that view. Until early in the last century, no one wore their hair short at all. I'd rather have mine long and wear it up when the occasion calls for it than to wear it short.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    That's crazy talk. Grow your hair how you want. I'm 56 and I would love APL unstretched.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • cakj99cakj99 Registered Users Posts: 575
    lody wrote: »
    When I go to the Over-40s board (from looking at the new posts), I am always amazed by the avatars associated with these over 40 women. Their long curls make them look so young. Some of them, seeing just their hair and part of their faces, I would never have believed them older than me, and I'm 20. Short hair on older women looks terrible, it ages you soooo badly, and I really don't see who can believe it makes you look younger. Keep the long curls. Your mother is out of her mind.

lody-your hair looks fab. It has taking me many years to love my curls and now I just want to let them "run free". Auntnett is right about the hair just hanging there and making you look tired though...
    I have to say I went to a hair salon about 8 months ago and they gave me a "look" when I asked if they could work with my curls (define, style, etc). The girl said she could blow dry my hair straight, or just wash it and cut it and "that's it" (in other words she had no idea what to do with curly hair). There wasn't a single diffuser in the place but there were lots and lots of flat irons!!! :angry1:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    That's crazy talk.

+1

Wear your hair how you want.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • CandycaneCandycane Registered Users Posts: 291
    is that u in the avatar pic? If so u look very cute with short hair. I dont think the length of your hair should matter as long as it fits. Grow your hair long and get it styled in a way that fits you. There is an older woman on this board somewhere who has very long grey curls. She looks amazing. 35 is no where near old enoough to start picking out your old lady look.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I see no age range for long hair. Maybe for hair bows, though. :)
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    Well I am 31 and I think it's a misconception that shorter hair actually makes a woman look younger as she gets older. I find the reverse true. The longer the hair... the younger the woman looks as she ages. Longer hair seems more youthful.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    The one hair thing that makes me look older is straight hair, not long hair. I always look older with it straight.

I'm 40 and my hair is just past BSL or so, and the only person that says anything is my Mother, lol.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    is that u in the avatar pic? If so u look very cute with short hair. I dont think the length of your hair should matter as long as it fits. Grow your hair long and get it styled in a way that fits you. There is an older woman on this board somewhere who has very long grey curls. She looks amazing. 35 is no where near old enoough to start picking out your old lady look.

LOL, I picked out my old lady look a long time ago. Long fat gray braid! That is what I want when I am old. And gonna rock on the porch with a shotgun behind the rocking chair.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    The one hair thing that makes me look older is straight hair, not long hair. I always look older with it straight.

I'm 40 and my hair is just past BSL or so, and the only person that says anything is my Mother, lol.

I agree! I definitely get more of the tired-looking thing going on when mine's straight - Just one more reason that I almost never straighten it anymore, LOl!

Even my mother seems to agree that my hair looks better longer. And as I was growing up, she's one of the ones who used to alway say so and so's too old to be wearing her hair that long, etc.! She does fuss at me about going around with it still wet, though - can't seem to understand that I'd never get out of the house before noon if I didn't, she who never leaves without being perfectly coiffed and made up.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I totally disagree with that old saw. I think it probably started when there was a stark contrast between older women who wore more traditional, long hair styles, and younger women who had "bobbed" their hair. Since long hair was "old fashioned," people thought it made women look older. These days far more older women wear short hair, and far more younger women wear medium or long hair, so that accepted "wisdom" should have died a natural death. I strongly suspect that hairdressers, who have a financial interest in getting their clients to come in at frequent intervals for haircuts, straightening/perming, or colouring, promote those frequent visits. After all, who wants to look old?
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Awww, thanks! yep, that's me in the avatar pic! :glasses7:
    That was my hair before the BC (Brighton beach on a really wet spring day). When I was talking about a pixie cut I actually meant a lot shorter than in the picture. But I think it is actually easier to style when it is longer.

For some reason all the older ladies I see lately have short hair, but it could the hair salons trying to make a living. It could be that short hair may be easier to do if you are really old and frail, but I don't think I am there yet. By the way, LOL, my mum's hair is actually APL (she's got great hair). How about what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander??? :geek:
  • janeylizjaneyliz Registered Users Posts: 777
    Maudie wrote: »
    I see no age range for long hair. Maybe for hair bows, though. :)

Oh yes - and Alice bands!

I tried to start the 'am I too old for long hair' conversation with SO and DD - both told me to shut up.

DD said her friends envy my hair, and SO said he'd have nothing to bury his face into at night.

It's a personal thing, hair. Sod what anyone else thinks.
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights