definition problem

gypsyoftheworldgypsyoftheworld Posts: 54Registered Users
Ok so i'm pretty sure my hair is a bit of 3b/3c mixed together because i have tight little coils mingling with loose fat curls. i started the CG method at the beginning of the month, so i know i have more time to go, but i really wish i'd have more defined curls NOW, if you know what i mean.

as a conditioner, i'm using aura rosemary mint. after my shower, i scrunch some into my hair just to help it be more moisturized. i then scrunch herbal essences set me up gel into my hair, wrap it up in a t-shirt, and let it sit for half an hour before taking the towel-shirt off and letting my hair air dry.

first day hair, i have pretty defined curls for the most part, though most of my hair still insists on just kind of hanging there instead of curling up. i know my bottom layer ends just lie flat and straight, which is weird.

i was wondering if anyone had any tips on making my hair curlier, faster. and preferably with products i can find in stores, not online, because i don't like to order online.

also, i heard flaxseed oil is a great curl rejuvanator. is this true?

Comments

• Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you used to flat iron your hair often? Could be possible you have heat damage. If that's the case it's irreversible. Also what other products do you use besides the conditioner and the he gel?
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you used to flat iron your hair often? Could be possible you have heat damage. If that's the case it's irreversible. Also what other products do you use besides the conditioner and the he gel?
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • gypsyoftheworldgypsyoftheworld Posts: 54Registered Users
    i haven't flat ironed my hair in forever, but that hair has already grown out and been snipped off. sometimes i put olive oil from sally's in my hair, the proclaim stuff, but i just recently started using olive oil from the kitchen because its less gunky and sticky. but i don't think that would have any effect on my hair yet, and it actually made my hair look healthier and the curls a big more defined.

as a cowash i used suave coconut conditioner and sometimes i have to use the accompanying shampoo because my hair just gets so gunkified that just cowashing isn't enough. but i haven't used it for a while, instead cowashing with the aura conditioner.

i want to find different products to use, but the stuff everyone swears by is only online and expensive.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know, but plopping ruins curl definition for me. As for your products the Suave doesn't have cones in it, but the Olive oil from Proclaim might have cones. For better definition try smoothing a few of your individual curls while wet and loaded with product.

Flax seed gel is a great definer/styler and it makes your hair appear shinier too. I make my own and use it because it's so cheap and easy. I do not use "curly hair" brands or expensive hair products period (nothing over $10, not counting electronics).
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    thankyou bekkapoo. i just read the label of my sally oil and it does indeed have some cones in it. that's going to go the way of the dinosaurs now. i only just used it today; hopefully i won't need to clarify to get it out of my hair. i didn't use that much.

that explains why my hair always got fuzzy ends when i used it and other products with cones in them. EVOO, here i come. :D

thanks for the help
    thankyou bekkapoo. i just read the label of my sally oil and it does indeed have some cones in it. that's going to go the way of the dinosaurs now. i only just used it today; hopefully i won't need to clarify to get it out of my hair. i didn't use that much.

that explains why my hair always got fuzzy ends when i used it and other products with cones in them. EVOO, here i come. :D

thanks for the help

You're welcome. :)

I figure the more natural the better.. of course that's not always possible and there's nothing wrong with using your natural stuff in conjunction with manmade commercial products.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    btw bekkapoo
    your hair is gorgeous. just thought i'd add that. and i am going to try to go natural with my products because my hair really does not like cones. i've realized this as i use cone-free products and my hair looks healthier than it has in years.
    Thank you! :)

I've been sorta CG lately too, but that will end as I'm about to test out a series of HH conditioners over the winter. But I'm glad you feel like you're off to a good start with your products and regimen.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oooh, also, if you need to cleanse you can use apple cider vinegar rather than shampoo. I just get the generic kind from the grocery store for like, $2. I was also using the Suave condish but feel like I get better definition with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    thankyou ellepixie
    how would i use the apple cider vinegar? just rinse it through my hair or do i have to do something special with it?
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Flax seed gel is a great definer/styler and it makes your hair appear shinier too. I make my own and use it because it's so cheap and easy. I do not use "curly hair" brands or expensive hair products period (nothing over $10, not counting electronics).

how do you make your own flaxseed oil gel?
    I just do about 50/50 with water in a cup (mine is already diluted from the store), rinse it through, leave it in for about 5 minutes, then rinse out and cowash.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

how do you make your own flaxseed oil gel?

http://supr-natural.blogspot.com/2009/11/flax-seed-gel.html

Not flaxseed oil gel.. just flaxseed gel.

Take some seeds (1/2 cup or so, doesn't have to be exact), boil 10 min. in about a cup of water, strain and cool. There's lots of versions of flaxseed gel on the web but this is the most basic recipe.
    Never tried that and I happen to have some seeds in the kitchen.... Anyways aloe vera gel is also great and not drying. You should clarify your hair though if you're switching to an all natural routine. Also you don't have to use V05 poo. You said you like your stuff on the ground, try bentonite clay. It clarifies and defines your hair for $7. I use this every 4-6 weeks. Just add water to the clay and apply to your hair. Your hair will feel clean, refreshed and defined. You can find it at whole foods. Also my other favorite and only $8 Aubrey Organics B5 gel. A little goes a long way with this stuff.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    thanks everyone for the tips and tricks. :D
    i should probably add that where i live, there is no whole foods store....i don't think there's one in the surrounding cities either :(

keep the tips and tricks coming please! tell your friends! i want to have totally gorgeous curls.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Oooh, also, if you need to cleanse you can use apple cider vinegar rather than shampoo. I just get the generic kind from the grocery store for like, $2. I was also using the Suave condish but feel like I get better definition with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle.

apple cider vinegar doesnt actually clean your hair. it helps restore ph balance and smooth the hair's cuticle, but you cant use it to clarify or anything like that.
    Really? I read the acetic acid removes build up... hmmm... I'm gonna read more about that mask too...
    YouTube
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Really? I read the acetic acid removes build up... hmmm... I'm gonna read more about that mask too...

i never cared either way because i hate the smell of ACV so i couldnt bring myself to try it. but nappy_curly_crown (a memeber here) is a chemist and she broke it down in a previous thread. if i can find it, i'll post a link. i think because it gives your hair shine, people thought it was also clarifying?
    Oooh, that would be awesome, thank you!
    YouTube
    okay so apple cider vinegar is out.
    i'll just use one of my old shampoos, and then put a deep condition treatment in right after it. i have to do chores today, so my brothers had better not laugh at me for walking around in a purple shower cap....
    okay so apple cider vinegar is out.
    i'll just use one of my old shampoos, and then put a deep condition treatment in right after it. i have to do chores today, so my brothers had better not laugh at me for walking around in a purple shower cap....

Cover your shower cap with a pretty scarf and they won't have to know. :happy3: I've gone to work with my hair deep conditioning (i.e. baggying) and no one knew it because I worked it into a hairstyle.
    Found the article from Curl Chemist on NC last year...says ACV is a good cleaning agent but can be used with shampoo/cleansing for the most benefit. I just use it alone since I don't use shampoo at all.

Vinegar is very useful as a rinse for the hair for several reasons. Acetic acid is a mild chelating agent, so it can be useful in removing mineral deposits on the hair that accumulate over time due to impurities in the air and hard water. The clarifying properties of ACV and other vinegars also extend to the removal of accumulated sebum or other waxy buildup from products. When used for this purpose, it is important to use a greater concentration of vinegar (25 to 50 percent). Rub it into the scalp and leave it on the hair for a few minutes, which gives it time to work.
    Another excellent application for vinegar is to use it in conjunction with soap/shampoo bars, as a means for the prevention of build up of hard water–induced soap scum, which can be devastating to the condition of your hair.

Vinegar is also just a great pH adjuster for the hair when used as a rinse in a dilute aqueous solution. It is essential that your hair be the proper pH after cleansing and conditioning, as this affects the overall health, appearance, and condition of your hair. For this reason, most modern shampoos and conditioners are “pH balanced,” meaning they are adjusted to a pH very close to that of the hair in its healthiest state.
    YouTube
    its kinda a puffy shower cap. the material, whatever it is, is kind of thick and doesn't like to work with me, i guess i could say. it's one of those goody's caps from walmart that costs about $1

ellepixie
    all that info just got copied and pasted into a word document so i can find it when i'm not online :D thankyou for finding it and posting it here.

i just did the DT and took my shower and now my hair feels amazing. i just hope it dries really well too....

does anyone else besides me have a problem with the flat underhair? it all just kind of just lays there, flat, and doesnn't curl up. it's my very bottom section of hair, and my longest at bra-strap-length.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file