Microwave recipes

ladypladyp Posts: 40Registered Users
I live in the dorms and we are only allowed to have a microwave, no toaster ovens nothing and there is no cooking area.

Anyway... I was wondering if anyone had any microwable recipes that would be easy and cheap to do since I am a college student.

Comments

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bumping for ideas. I have a job this summer where all I have is a fridge and microwave 3 days a week. Anyone??
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • FrizzyWavesFrizzyWaves Posts: 17Registered Users
    i only cook in the microwave. i buy frozen veggies and frozen veggie burgers. i throw some veggies and a burger in and put in the fridge for the half day. at lunch time i microwave it (after breaking the burger into pieces). i either add pieces of cheese, or hot sauce all over or soy sauce or whatever. its easy and filling...
  • JanelleJanelle Posts: 4Registered Users
    I am a student and I don't have time to cook big meals any more. All I do is cook in the microwave. So I learned how to cook other things in the microwavethan most people normally would.

Macaroni Spaghetti
    1 package of macaroni noodles
    1 can of spaghetti sauce
    2tsp butter

Fill a large microwave-safe bowl up half-way with hot tap water. Microwave on high for ten minutes. Carefully!!!! take out the bowl with a pair of oven mits or a towel. Pour in macaroni until about a half inch of water is covering it. Add the butter. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. Drain;add sauce as you wish and microwave for 3 minutes on medium.

Also another good thing is to make potato flakes in the microwave by the instructions exept you can leave out the milk and add more water to the thickness you like. Also alot of canned vegetables are just as good heated in the microwave as the are on the stove. Also you can buy inexpensive dinner rolls and cover them with a moistened towel and heat for 30 seconds on high. And if there not hot enough in 10 second intervals until they are hot enough.

sometimes you can find thickly sliced turkey, chicken or even ham at the store for cheap. (It's not procesed) you can heat iper slice on high and then in 30 second intervals if it's not hot enough.

Another tip is look for dried things they can be easy to make in the Microwave. Like oatmeal, grits, potato flakes. And always check foro microwave instructions on things even if you don't think that it's possdible to be able to microave it. If you have ANY questions on anything else or want to cook somthing without microwave instructions don't hesitate to give me a shout out if this helps you.
    I hope this helps you alot!!!!!
  • JanelleJanelle Posts: 4Registered Users
    * one minute per slice
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Are you allowed to have a crockpot in your room?

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • ladypladyp Posts: 40Registered Users
    not sure if I am allowed to have a crockpot but I would have to check.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions
  • Sugar Plum FairySugar Plum Fairy Posts: 178Registered Users
    I have two microwave recipe books (well, my parents do). I don't have time right now but later on i'd be happy to type up some of the better ones for you. It's pretty good, my mum found it useful when she was staying in a flat with just a microwave for her summer job in amsterdam when she was younger. I'll check back later to type some up for you. icon_smile.gif
  • Sugar Plum FairySugar Plum Fairy Posts: 178Registered Users
    These recipes are for a microwave oven where "high" is 700W, "medium" is 480W, and "low" is 360W, so you may need to adjust cooking times accordingly. They are from my parents' cookbooks and I haven't tried them (just a disclaimer incase they turn out awful!)

Mini meatloaves (this serves 6, so you can adjust the amounts/times accordingly if making for 1)

1/4 cup milk
    1 egg
    1 pound hamburger meat
    1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
    1 package (0.04 ounces) ranch-style salad dressing mix (dry)
    worcestershire sauce

1) Beat milk and egg together with a fork in a large bowl.
    2) Mix hamburger meat, breadcrumbs, and ranch-style salad dressing. mix into the egg mixture with a spoon or using your hands.
    3) Pat the meat mixture flat in the bottom of the bowl. Cut into 6 equal wedges.
    4) Using your hands, shape each piece into a small loaf shaped like a football. Put the loaves in a circle or in rows on the rack in a microwaveable dish.
    5) Brush each loaf with 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
    6) Cover with waxed paper, curled side down. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn the dish 1/2 turn. Microwave 3 to 5 minutes longer or until the meat is no longer pink in the center. Carefully lift the waxed paper a little at the corner to let the steam out, then re-cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
    7) Serve.

Macaroni (I am including this recipe from this website so you can make the following macaroni cheese recipe which requires pre-cooked macaroni)

1 cup water
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp vegetable oil
    2 ounces macaroni

(note- to increase the quantity, add 1 cup water to each additional 2 ounces macaroni)

1) Pour water into 1½-quart Corning Ware pot.
    2) Cook 2:30 minutes at 100% power until water boils. Add salt and oil to water and stir.
    3) Spread out macaroni in pot. Cook 12 minutes at 50% power until water is absorbed.
    4) Use as desired.

Macaroni and Cheese (this serves 4, so again, you may need to adjust times/amounts accordingly)

4 cups cooked hot elbow macaroni
    4 tablespoons butter or margarine
    2 cups grated mild cheddar or American cheese
    3/4 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

1) Use a 3-quart casserole dish. Combine the hot, cooked macaroni and 2 tablespoons butter. Stir until butter is almost melted.
    2) Add the cheese, milk, salt, and pepper, stirring well to blend.
    3) Cover tightly and cook on MEDIUM (50%) for 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the milk thickens, stirring every 4 minutes. Set aside.
    4) Place the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a 1-cup glass measure. Cook on HIGH (100%) for 35 seconds to 1 minute to melt.
    5) Stir in the bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the macaroni. Let stand for 2 minutes.
    6) Serve

Lasagna (Serves 4, so again, you may need to adjust amounts/times accordingly)

32 ounce jar spagetti sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1 pound Riccotta
    1 egg
    Approx. 8 uncooked lasagna noodles
    12 ounces mozzarella cheese

1) Mix spagetti sauce with water. Set aside.
    2) Blend together egg and ricotta.
    3) Layer everything in a 9x12 microwaveable pan as follows:
    1/3 sauce&water
    1/2 noodles
    1/2 ricotta mix
    1/2 mozzarella
    1/3 sauce&water
    1/2 noodles
    1/2 ricotta mix
    1/2 mozzarella
    1/3 sauce&water
    4) Cover tightly with a double layer Saran Wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes, then MED LOW for 32, turning the pan occasionally.
    5) Loosen cover, sprinkle top with grated Parmesan Cover loosely and let stand 15 minutes.
    6) Serve.

I hope these work for you! icon_smile.gif

[edited for many many typos! icon_razz.gif ]

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Sugar Plum Fairy ]
  • tootlestootles Posts: 14Registered Users
    hey thanks, I hav copied and pasted these recipe ideas...I'm off to Newcastle in 2 weeks and I'll be living off Microwave food also!
    Toots x

there was a little girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead & when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was HORRID!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file