BC'd on Friday, hair is insanely dry

miss dreammiss dream Registered Users Posts: 11
My BC was Friday, I've co-washed, sealed, protective styled- my hair is like super dry. Did anyone else experience this when they first cut their hair? Is it just a matter of finding products that work for you or what? Granted, I'm not loving my hair but I'm thinking it's because it's a completely new look. I mean it's just... dry and brittle. I just got it cut, I know that my ends can't be dead... I dunno.

Comments

• Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
    Hey Miss Dream. That happened to me when I first BC'd too. It took me a while to get my hair to feel "nice' and not so rough and dry. I had to remember that my freshly BC'd hair was NOT my relaxed hair and nothing that worked for my relaxed hair would work for my natural hair.

*IMO* A few continuous days of cowashing and sealing with olive oil eventually get my hair to a more moisturized state. You might also want to try wetting and sealing your hair with shea butter.

HTH
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • newmenewme Registered Users Posts: 141
    This may go against conventional wisdom but are you putting too much oil/butter in your hair? I usually follow the conditioner only method found at tightlycurly.com. After a while, I thought my hair was particularly dry so I started "sealing" my hair with olive oil. When I did, I found that my twist-outs lasted a lot shorter and my hair felt greasy-dry (if that makes sense). I finally realized that I had product build up and gave myself a really good clarifying shampoo - and I mean one with sulfates in it. I followed up with a huge amount of conditioner and voila! my hair is back to feeling soft and I'm on day 4 of my twistout and will likely be able to get the whole week.

All of this to say that you need to experiment with your hair to figure out what works and what doesn't. What may be the holy grail for some will be a disaster for others. For me, sealing didn't accomplish what I wanted so I cut it out of my routine.
  • krazy coilskrazy coils Registered Users Posts: 148
    After my BC my hair was extremely dry and it took awhile for the rough feeling to go away. I would recommend finding a good deep conditioner for your hair and try deep conditioning at least once a week until your hair feels moisturized.
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • EkaetteEkaette Registered Users Posts: 356
    Have you DC'ed since your BC? Maybe you need to up the moisturizing DC's
    event.png

4b natural
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Registered Users Posts: 1,458
    Ekaette wrote: »
    Have you DC'ed since your BC? Maybe you need to up the moisturizing DC's

I agree, you should do a moisturizing deep conditioning frequently. Also, co-washing is great. Lastly, examine the products that you are using. You should note the products with harmful ingredients such as petrolatum that may prevent moisture from being absorbed into the hair strands. HTH!
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lotsa_TanglesLotsa_Tangles Registered Users Posts: 128
    I experienced dry hair and scalp after my bc as well. I dc'd three times a week, cowashed daily and baggied my whole head nightly for a few weeks and I started to notice a difference in the moisture I retained. I REALLY saw improvements after I purchased my hair steamer...

LT
    The blog of a non-blogger: www.naturallytia.com
  • dezdamonadezdamona Registered Users Posts: 37
    miss dream wrote: »
    My BC was Friday, I've co-washed, sealed, protective styled- my hair is like super dry. Did anyone else experience this when they first cut their hair? Is it just a matter of finding products that work for you or what? Granted, I'm not loving my hair but I'm thinking it's because it's a completely new look. I mean it's just... dry and brittle. I just got it cut, I know that my ends can't be dead... I dunno.

Give it some time. It took me a few weeks to feel the difference. It will soften up.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    What products are you using?

I would conditioner wash daily...and be careful with the oils...my hair doesn't like straight oil or butters. I so wanted to seal, but that turned into a mess.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • miss dreammiss dream Registered Users Posts: 11
    Last night I deep conditioned, I actually slept with the conditioner in. Today it's better. I sealed it with coconut oil and it is feeling greasy. I've got multiple textures on my head, at this point I'm not sure that all of it is going to curly. It's crazy how you can relax your hair for 20 years and have to relearn your own hair. Thanks ladies. I'm using Miss Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Crme-de-la-Curl-Cleansing-Crme-p-910.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Miss-Jessies-Creme-de-la-Curl]Creme de la Curl[/buylink] (??) to co-wash but will start using Vo5 moisturizing conditioner to co-wash. Shea butter and coconut oil to seal, and... it's a honeysuckle rose conditioner for deep conditioning. I can't remember the name but it's pretty popular, I think.
  • CurlyFemmeCurlyFemme Registered Users Posts: 15
    Hi Miss Dream! Congrats on your BC! :toothy7: I did the bc about a month ago and not long after, my hair was super dry and extremely itchy! I'm going to co-sign what some of the other's have said and advise that you deep condition your hair as well as moisturize, moisturize, MOISTURIZE! Aubrey Honeysuckle rose is a wonderful deep conditioner as well as Taliah Waajid Healing Oyl as a pretty good moisturizer. In due time you wil get to know your hair as far as what it likes and dislikes so give yourself a little time.
  • tuuttietuuttie Registered Users Posts: 84
    My BC was exactly one week ago from today and my hair was super, super and rough. I have been co-washing and figuring out what works and it's finally soft! I always had to realize what I was using for my texturized hair (like Hawaiian Silky) my natural hattteess it!

Daily, I have just been damping my water with water and using Elastia QP Mango Butter and sealing it with shea butter.
    I also used Hello Hydration as a leave-in and that helped too. For some reason if I use Hello Hydration as a regular conditioner it dries my hair out.
    Last relaxer: June 16, 2009
    First and LAST texturizer: September 30, 2009 :angry4:

BC 1: September 30, 2009 (Horrible!)
    BC 2: November 10, 2009
    BC 3: November 24, 2009

Hair Type: :dontknow:

I AM A PRODUCT JUNKIE! :happy10:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file